Test Drive - Fusion i4, Taurus, Taurus-X

macattak1

And a follow up.

The Fusion safety scores are not so impressive either.

It is a 4 star crash rated vehicle in a sea of 5 star rated vehicles.

I find that to be significant also.

Peace and Blessings

Is that with or without the optional side impact airbags?

Anyways I think the whole Star rating (like most things using it) is over rated...hell if your in a bad enough wreck, your gonna die anyways.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways I think the whole Star rating (like most things using it) is over rated...hell if your in a bad enough wreck, your gonna die anyways.

Not sure. I used Edmunds. They use Star rating. Personally, I like to see both ratings, not just Star. all 5's and one 4 star would be fine. But the Accord and Camry are all 5's and maybe 1 4 and the Fusion is all 4's and maybe one 5. :(

That is why I bought an F250. Cheap life insurance for my family.

That is why I am looking more at the Taurus than the Fusion. Can't beat the Taurus. But one can do considerably better than the Fusion. You can die in anything and live in anything. Die in a simple crash and come out of a horrific one in tact.

Peace and Blessings

Not sure. I used Edmunds. They use Star rating. Personally, I like to see both ratings, not just Star. all 5's and one 4 star would be fine. But the Accord and Camry are all 5's and maybe 1 4 and the Fusion is all 4's and maybe one 5. :(

That is why I am looking more at the Taurus than the Fusion. Can't beat the Taurus. But one can do considerably better than the Fusion. You can die in anything and live in anything. Die in a simple crash and come out of a horrific one in tact.

Peace and Blessings

IIRC, Consumerguied says Camry has 4 5's and 1 4. Fusion is opposite. I agree, they should have been better.

Doh!

No, I test drove, as the title says, a Fusion, TaurusX, and a Taurus.

I owned a 96 Accord. I drive my neighbors 2002 Accord. I am driving my neighbors 2004 Oddyssey.

I was interested in the 3 because of Mazda quality and the looks as my wife wants a small car. However, its safety rating sucks.

I have test driven a 6 previously and was not that impressed and hated the seats.

Peace and Blessings

The seats seem to be a common complaint w/ the Mazdas.

I'm pretty sure the side impact airbags are standard now (2007+ models)

Peace and Blessings

The 2007 Ford Edge/ Lincoln MKX twins are pretty safe and have a relatively small footprint.

From Fueleconomy.gov: Regular Gasoline: City - 16, Hwy - 23. (old hwy stated 25mpg)

From Edmunds test: The FWD Edge does 0-60 - 7.4 secs.

From IIHS: TOP SAFETY PICK. (Good in all three tests).

From NHTS (Safercar.gov):

FRONT COLLISION DRIVER/ PASS.= 5/4 STAR

SIDE COLLISION FRONT/ REAR= 5/5 STAR

ROLLOVER RATING= 4/4 STAR

Plus you have the easy ingress/out, high driving position, large aftermarket support and a decent price.

The leather interior looks pretty nice as well.

wall1.jpg

Ford%20Edge%205-lg.jpg

Ford%20Edge%204-lg.jpg

edg07_007_ext_enl.jpg

LeftFront.jpg

try an edge too

I did look at the Edge and was very intrigued prior to sitting in it.

Once I sat in it, it felt too plasticy for me. Worse, to me, the Edge has Hard plastic door molding. Right where I would sometimes rest my arm/elbow on the window sill is hard plastic. I hate cars like that. On any kind of a drive I like a good arm rest for my right arm and two for my left arm to move between. That hard plastic would just hurt over time and give me a bruze.

Maybe that sounds silly, but really, who wants hard plastic on the inside door panel. Padding is good and does wonders there, at least in my eyes, and elbows.

I have a 4x4 Tahoe and a 4x4 F250. I want to get rid of the older Tahoe and get a more comfortable sedan for around town and long trips with out the trailer. So I have no real need for the Edge.

Peace and Blessings.

Go on, go on.....

While Mazda certainly isn't the worst (if it was, I wouldn't have bought one), but they are mid-pack at best....and often far below average on the JD Power surveys. Mine has been pretty good so far. Anything that is broken on it has been broken since I bought it...and that list is pretty short:

Button cover for rear seat fold-down fell off

Spring for ashtray cover broke

Cover for passenger front door puddle lamp fell off

Clearcoat on almost all exterior plastic parts is flaking off

That's really about it. Not bad for 70,000 miles I suppose. Not perfect, but oh well.

Edited by NickF1011