2008 Focus Receives Highest IIHS Score in Frontal Offset

range

2008_Focus.jpg

Yes.

i do know they got rid of them chrome foglight bezels... and some different accents to the grille areas as well..

and to the person who said your glad somebody likes them..

i guess the 4 that my local dealer got earlier this week that have been sold had 4 people that liked them too ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do know they got rid of them chrome foglight bezels... and some different accents to the grille areas as well..

and to the person who said your glad somebody likes them..

i guess the 4 that my local dealer got earlier this week that have been sold had 4 people that liked them too ;)

I have a feeling this car will do a lot better than most have predicted. It's hardly best-in-class, but neither was the previous reskin of the Focus. If people get past the appearance (I will never understand the tastes of some people in that regard), the overall packaging is really pretty impressive for the money. Aside from the initial powertrain offerings being simplified, it also appears that they've actually INCREASED content on this model, both in standard and optional equipment offerings. That's never a bad thing.

On a side note -- would be nice if they offered this with a sport package like the Fusion that offers black chrome for the grille and side vents. Would probably change the appearance pretty drastically.

Edited by NickF1011

I was hoping the new Focus would look better in person, but when I finally saw it at the dealership, I thought that it was bland rather than offensive. To me, this car is a mixture of the typical econo box out there...it doesn't stand out and it doesn't really say anything (in terms of style). That's not a bad thing for a car in this class.

I guess you can chalk me down as one of those people that doesn't really understand the insane must-have fanaticism state-side regarding the Euro Focus. I driven it many, many times on business trips over there. I really don't think it is that amazing at all...I don't understand the fanciation with it.

I have a feeling this car will do a lot better than most have predicted. It's hardly best-in-class, but neither was the previous reskin of the Focus. If people get past the appearance (I will never understand the tastes of some people in that regard), the overall packaging is really pretty impressive for the money. Aside from the initial powertrain offerings being simplified, it also appears that they've actually INCREASED content on this model, both in standard and optional equipment offerings. That's never a bad thing.

On a side note -- would be nice if they offered this with a sport package like the Fusion that offers black chrome for the grille and side vents. Would probably change the appearance pretty drastically.

I guess you can chalk me down as one of those people that doesn't really understand the insane must-have fanaticism state-side regarding the Euro Focus. I driven it many, many times on business trips over there. I really don't think it is that amazing at all...I don't understand the fanciation with it.

I've never driven a C1 Focus, but have spent considerable time in the also much-praised Mazda3, and I too fail to see how they are TOO superior. Are they better than our Focus? Yes, to some degree. But it's not decades ahead in quality and innovation like some would want us to believe. I still can't wait for the arrival of C2 though, if for no other reason than just to get Ford on the same playing field globally, which should save development costs and allow them to make ALL of their vehicles in the C-segment better.

Well what can we expect from a vehicle designed in the late 90's. I can't expect it to have great side crash ratings if its been up until recently that federal mandates require better protection and this Focus is just a reskin for the most part. As I've stated before the '08 focus would have been good in 2004-2005, but its eh , ok for '08.

That 08 Focus may get a *good* in frontal collision, where you have 3-4ft. of metal between you and other car, but the 2000-2007 Focus gets a *poor* in the side impact test where you only get 6 inches of metal protecting you. Poor is the LOWEST they go. Damn.

The Focus needs to follow in the footsteps of the Taurus, Edge & Mustang and get *good* in all collision tests. Of the various people at work whom I talk to cars about, NONE of them is willing to put their family in a Focus. The last person I helped out got an Explorer (good/acceptable).

The person I'm helping now may be getting into a new Taurus. He got quite enthusiastic when I pulled up the various websites showing Taurus as a good choice. Of course, he hadn't heard a thing about it!

The new Honda Civic has *good* ratings from IIHS, all the way around. Does Ford expect the crappy Focus safety ratings to be a secret?

Actually the Civic only gets 4 stars in NHTSA side impact testing.

The 2008 Focus has not been tested yet for side impact.

But the 2008 Corolla has, and it got a IIHS rating of poor_lg.gif

As did the 2008 VW Beetle poor_lg.gif

As did the 2008 Toyota Yaris poor_lg.gif

Since the 2008 Focus has both side airbags and side curtain airbags standard, I expect it will get a rating higher than those standard models listed above.

Well what can we expect from a vehicle designed in the late 90's. I can't expect it to have great side crash ratings if its been up until recently that federal mandates require better protection and this Focus is just a reskin for the most part. As I've stated before the '08 focus would have been good in 2004-2005, but its eh , ok for '08.

Just because the Focus is an older platform, doesn't mean its unsafe. For example, per the Federal study on rollover standards, the Focus is one of a very few cars on the road today that already meets the scrapped rollover crush standards that were going to go into effect after 2010. This applies to all Focus models, back to 2000. The side impact ratings are most impacted by side airbags, something that was optional, but now is standard. I'm sure we'll see the test results soon.

Edited by range

No, there are many people here that like ANYTHING Ford puts out no matter how bad it actually is or how bad it looks .

I know the difference between when I think something is OK out of hope that the market will accept it (like the exterior on the escape, or the CV, no offense intended), and when I actually like something.

Well, I'm not in the market for a small car, so the Focus is off my list, but I like the looks inside and out, and with CR's 'above average' reliability rating, I would recommend it to a friend getting a small car.

I've never driven a C1 Focus, but have spent considerable time in the also much-praised Mazda3, and I too fail to see how they are TOO superior. Are they better than our Focus? Yes, to some degree. But it's not decades ahead in quality and innovation like some would want us to believe.

They narrowed the gap with this refresh as well (better tuning and such), so there should be even less of a difference between it, and the 3.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Thats sad.

Maybe all of these "yes people" could inform me as to why Mexico gets the Euro Focus ST and we don't?

The Euro Focus required tweaking to make it U.S. ready and would have to be produced in the U.S. for both CAFE and quality reasons. The Mexican Focus is produced in Brazil, does not have the quality standards that Ford is putting on U.S. products right now and could not meet federal crash and emissions regulations as it stands.

Mexico might get the Euro version, but it's done on the cheap much as the Contour once was here. Ford needs high quality more than class leaders, in my opinion, because its quality perception is so bad in the marketplace. Ford needs Joe Regular to be talking about how his Ford hasn't caused a problem in the first 5 years of ownership. By then, Ford will have class leading models out like the C2 Focus.

Although... can't they get rid of those stupid vents and blend the crease better (see the Toyota Camry). And put headrests in the back. Thanks.

vlcsnap-4071796.png

Case closed.

The Euro Focus required tweaking to make it U.S. ready and would have to be produced in the U.S. for both CAFE and quality reasons. The Mexican Focus is produced in Brazil, does not have the quality standards that Ford is putting on U.S. products right now and could not meet federal crash and emissions regulations as it stands.

Hey, VW did it with the GTI. All they had to do was raise the nose 0.6 inches to meet our bumper requirements.

Can we say $30,000 Focus in the US? Consumer's can't. Your standard C1 Focus has no better or worse driving dynamics than our "outdated" version.

Case re-opened.

See, the yes-crowd can't tell me why the Euro Focus is in Mexico and not here, but they sure know the price of the car *if* it came here.

You don't know what it is going to cost, so stop using that argument.

See, the yes-crowd can't tell me why the Euro Focus is in Mexico and not here, but they sure know the price of the car *if* it came here.

the car would not be $30k . .the problem is US crash regs and emissions regs - Mexico does not have those - they just get the EU model .. with the decision to NOT include NA model in the C1 portfolio (made in 2002) and the decision to develop 2008 Focus instead of modifying the C1 (made in 2004), Ford SHUT THE DOOR on the opportunity to import the C1 or produce is there. PERIOD ..

C1 v. C170 - the biggest different is front end stiffness, which improves safety and to a degree handling. However the car is WAY bigger and WAY heavier making it WAY worse handler than the C170. The 2008 Focus is the BEST HANDLING BASE FOCUS EVER PRODUCED - it was lightened, it was stiffened, and it was re-tuned to handles well while riding well - not easy feat.

Now this is about platforms. About the cars built on the platforms - simply put, the C1 Focus is a much more grown up car - it serves families with children and serves them well - the 08 Focus is a "youth mobile" - a car to attract kids that like quirky aggressive cars ... and then modify them - 2 very different (ehm) foci - both literally and figuratively. The biggest reason for this discrepancy is the lack of B-car in the US lineup - Ford has to supplement that with the Focus.

Igor

Heck, a loaded out Focus in the US NOW is close to the $20,000 mark. Are you saying an RS wouldn't cost considerably more? ~$30K is about the price of entry for a decently-equipped Lancer Evo or WRX, why would a comparably-equipped Focus be any different?

People have already pointed out why the Euro Focus is NOT here. It would need to be produced here for one -- not imported from Brazil like Mexico's is. Ford is not going to pony up for a retool at Wayne at this point, no matter how much anyone bitches and moans. Should they have retooled when C1 was introduced? ABSOLUTELY. After the '05 refresh of our Focus, was it then too late to bother? ABSOLUTELY. Some bad decisions from the past CANNOT be fixed retroactively. We need to suck it up, move on, and wait for C2. That's all there is to it.

the car would not be $30k . .the problem is US crash regs and emissions regs - Mexico does not have those - they just get the EU model .. with the decision to NOT include NA model in the C1 portfolio (made in 2002) and the decision to develop 2008 Focus instead of modifying the C1 (made in 2004), Ford SHUT THE DOOR on the opportunity to import the C1 or produce is there. PERIOD ..

C1 v. C170 - the biggest different is front end stiffness, which improves safety and to a degree handling. However the car is WAY bigger and WAY heavier making it WAY worse handler than the C170. The 2008 Focus is the BEST HANDLING BASE FOCUS EVER PRODUCED - it was lightened, it was stiffened, and it was re-tuned to handles well while riding well - not easy feat.

Now this is about platforms. About the cars built on the platforms - simply put, the C1 Focus is a much more grown up car - it serves families with children and serves them well - the 08 Focus is a "youth mobile" - a car to attract kids that like quirky aggressive cars ... and then modify them - 2 very different (ehm) foci - both literally and figuratively. The biggest reason for this discrepancy is the lack of B-car in the US lineup - Ford has to supplement that with the Focus.

Igor

Finally...a legit answer.

I see where you are coming from, but if GM is able to ship whole cars from Australia and sell them here for under 30K, then...at the very least, Ford should be able to get close to the Euro Focus, while keeping the price down. They already have the basic structure here (Mazda 3), the engine is from a Volvo, the tranny (6-speed manual) is from a Volvo, etc. I would be willing to give up a some of the electronic gadgets to keep it at a specific price point (being able to change the weight of the steering for example). With the money they spent on the '08 re-skin, they could have takem the best parts from the bin and had a much better car.

Ford CAN do it...they just chose not to.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

but if GM is able to ship whole cars from Australia and sell them here for under 30K,

By most accounts, the GTO was a complete wash for GM at best, and a significant money-loser at worst. You're also talking about 18-20K cars a year...not 100,000+ like the Focus. Additionally, the GTO wasn't listed for under 30K, it was just discounted to all hell because nobody wanted to pony up for the MSRP, which was well over 30K.

GM likely doesn't expect to make much/any money on the upcoming G8 either, at least not until Oshawa #2 converts to Zeta production and G8 production can move to North America.

I see where you are coming from, but if GM is able to ship whole cars from Australia and sell them here for under 30K, then...at the very least, Ford should be able to get close to the Euro Focus, while keeping the price down. They already have the basic structure here (Mazda 3), the engine is from a Volvo, the tranny (6-speed manual) is from a Volvo, etc. I would be willing to give up a some of the electronic gadgets to keep it at a specific price point (being able to change the weight of the steering for example). With the money they spent on the '08 re-skin, they could have takem the best parts from the bin and had a much better car.

The refreshed Focus is not staying, I give it a year and a half, two years tops before it gets replaced by the C2 Focus.

Mazda3 does not equal Ford Focus - Mazda is lighter and narrower than the Focus ... and was built ground up to be a US vehicle - besides being produced in Japan, helps the car .. as we all know. Mazda3 would never be built in the US - it would lose money.

And about GM and Australia - look at what cars are they importing - large niche RWD sedans that have comfortable profit margin; not "barely making profit" compacts.. GM is also importing Compact from Europe and losing about $2k on each one of them; and that is with Saturn and their "take it or leave it" pricing ... no haggling.

Ford precluded themselves from making C1 here .. in 2 steps as I said above ... Fields and Ford looked into changing that in Spring 2006, but found you they cannot afford it .. not after already spending the money on the 08. So we will get the C2 in April 2010.

Igor

Edited by igor