Next Taurus

FordBuyer

It might be that a lot of the popularity that surrounds the usage of rotary headlight switches is for automatic headlights. While both my vehicles have rotary switches, only the car has auto sensor headlights. Usually I keep my in auto mode and only have to manually switch them on when its raining through a light grey cloud cover. I'm not sure you can get auto headlights with a pull-out knob and a lot of cars use auto lights now.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be that a lot of the popularity that surrounds the usage of rotary headlight switches is for automatic headlights. While both my vehicles have rotary switches, only the car has auto sensor headlights. Usually I keep my in auto mode and only have to manually switch them on when its raining through a light grey cloud cover. I'm not sure you can get auto headlights with a pull-out knob and a lot of cars use auto lights now.

I know when we had our 89 crown vic, it had auto lights and a pull out knob.

Well, I know auto headlights have been around for some time. Maybe its just that rotary switches are just the primary means to deliver it these days. I wonder if there are any automobiles that do have the pull knobs with auto lights today? One other thing about pull out knobs is the ever so slightest chance of accidently bumping the headlights off. I almost want to think I did that by accident years ago. Maybe rotary is just more idiot-proof. :doh:

Well, I know auto headlights have been around for some time. Maybe its just that rotary switches are just the primary means to deliver it these days. I wonder if there are any automobiles that do have the pull knobs with auto lights today? One other thing about pull out knobs is the ever so slightest chance of accidently bumping the headlights off. I almost want to think I did that by accident years ago. Maybe rotary is just more idiot-proof. :doh:

In the tiny Neon that my dad uses as a daily driver (why?) I always hit the knob and out goes the lights. I am 6'1" though.

Sorry Traveller Ford has had auto headlights and Auto dimming head lights since the 1960's It is not new tech and is 40 years old of course all the old cars had pull out head light swtiches. And to be honest I prefer them over the rotary ones. I find they are just easier to operate especially the dash dimming instead of some chinzy plastic wheel under the Head light switch. Also the Auto head lights on the pull out swtich has an adustable timer to shut them off after vehicle shut down.

Matthew

I acknowledged that they had been around for some time in an earlier post, but the time in which the option has been offered is a moot point. I personally, have no problem conforming to the two-switch set-up in my own vehicle. Granted, if you do a lot of vehicle renting I could see the various placements as being a problem. You simply become accustom to how your own car or truck works. I've had both over the years and it makes little difference to me. That's just my .02.

" So what a proper sedan?, is really up to the buyers, not 'bring back the good ol' days' fans.

Funny how just about every thread here at BON brings out the same arguments.

630, you're right, it is up to the customer.

I think 99% of the folks here want Ford to produce product that will be successful.

Problem is we don't always agree on the solution. There are many schools of thought on "proper sedan design", (or any other vehicle for that matter).

For simpicitys sake, I'll use just two manufactures:

BMW & Audi

Both make pretty good cars that appeal to many folks and command a high profit for the maker. However the design philosophies are very different.

Ford has seemingly used the Audi model for recent vehicle design & even styling in some cases.

So... Those of us who adhere to the BMW philosophy are probably a little more critical of Ford's current direction. To those who favor the Audi model, things couldn't be better.

I know there are more examples than these two manufacturers, but I think this somewhat describes why folks here at BON are so polarized.