Next Taurus

FordBuyer

Mulally stated today that he has seen the next Taurus and that it made "his eyes water," it is that gorgeous. He said that he wished that this was theTaurus that should have been shipped to dealers this year. And he also said that Ford will do what it has to do to make the present Taurus a decent seller. Furthermore, he said that Ford will continually improve each and every model it sells every year to keep it competitive. I know that Ford is already raising incentives as high as $1,500 to push the present Taurus. I'm seeing a lot more on the streets in Western Wayne County. Just a little while ago, in a two mile stretch of road, I saw two new TaurusX and two Taurus. Not bad.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should really advertise their product, I can't believe they are dead set on not advertising their product. No one knows about the Taurus, It is a great vehicle but Ford couldn't be bothered spending money on advertising it.

Besides, who cares what Mullaly are about about future Ford products, the only thing the matters is facts about future products, not his opinion of it looking nice, because he also stated the 2008 Focus was the best small car Ford ever produced. Lasorda said the new Sebring and Avenger would be the cars that went head to head with the Japanese. Lutz said the previous Malibu and G6 were GM's charge to take back the car market..............all just a bunch of hoopla.

Here's the situation as I understand it:

The next Taurus will hit the lots as a 2010 model, essentially on the streets within 2 years time. The D3 platform was heavily redesigned for the MKS, both to handle the insane power of the 3.5 Twin Force, as well as to acheive the NVH/ride/handling characteristics required of a midsized luxury sedan. Therefore, the Taurus will use that platform, as well as an all-new exterior and interior. Obviously, Ford got caught with its pants down by the 300, and are going to have to contend with an equally bold and brash RWD Chevrolet Impala. Therefore, I anticipate the new Taurus to really up the ante with the emotional appeal of the sheetmetal, as well as the luxury of interior design.

Powertrains should be interesting as well. By time it debuts, we'll have a further refined 3.5 (275hp, perhaps), and a hybrid 3.5L V6. Even a plug-in wouldn't be out of the question, even if within a couple of model years of launch. And I believe the SHO is confirmed to good to go at this point, to put the 300C and Impala SS back on the trailer.

Should the Taurus/Sable have been built as a larger CD3 down the Hermosillo line?

Could the Mazda CX-9 have been shared to make a CD3 Taurus X and a Lincoln as well?

The reason I ask is because a CD3 based Taurus would have started

closer to $20,000 and given competitors something to worry about.

Also, over 32,000 CD3s sold last month. If D3s were replaced completely,

CD3 sales would be over 50,000/month - now that's using a platform!

Edited by jpd80

who cares what Mullaly are about about future Ford products, the only thing the matters is facts about future products, not his opinion of it looking nice, because he also stated the 2008 Focus was the best small car Ford ever produced. Lasorda said the new Sebring and Avenger would be the cars that went head to head with the Japanese. Lutz said the previous Malibu and G6 were GM's charge to take back the car market..............all just a bunch of hoopla.

Agreed.

Hopefully it's not a retro car to evoke such a reaction from him.

It would be folly to make a retro car.

Could it be the next Taurus will have cues from the Interceptor, or....

See, here's what I see:

Cars have cues from places. The previous lead generator was the 427 Concept, which volleyed the tribar grill to the Fusion and across the Ford line.

What's the next big thing?

Why is it everything is always "wait till the next one/redesign", then we are always disappointed with the results?

Because that's the BON way.

"Wait for the 500"

"Wait for the updated '05 Focus"

"Wait for the updated Escape"

"Wait for the Fusion"

"Wait for NAIAS"

"Wait for the launch"

"Wait for word of mouth to get around"

"Wait for the '08 Taurus"

"Wait for the '08 Focus"

"Wait for the '08 Escape"

"Wait for the launch"

"Wait for the refresh"

"Wait for the 2010 Taurus"

"Wait for the C2 Focus"

"Can't you just wait a little bit for...?"

etc.

Add to that,

Blind faith in new products and praying the future data justifies it.

Sounds like Ford's current PD strategies

Which is just what every company does when they decide to market new product. Sometimes it works: for BMW, for example, the MINI worked, Chris Bangle didn't. MINI gathers new models, and each new BMW becomes less "Bangleized".

Which is just what every company does when they decide to market new product. Sometimes it works: for BMW, for example, the MINI worked, Chris Bangle didn't. MINI gathers new models, and each new BMW becomes less "Bangleized".

For something that didn't work, BMW sure sold a lot of "Bangleized" designed cars.

The new cars are still designed by Chris Bangle as well, but he's going in a different direction, w/ his new 'flame surfacing' as shown on the CS Concept, which IMO is really good looking.

cs2-24-04-07.jpg

"Wait for the 500"

"Wait for the Fusion"

"Wait for NAIAS"

"Wait for the launch"

"Wait for the '08 Focus"

"Wait for the launch"

"Wait for the refresh"

"Wait for the C2 Focus"

etc.

Funny, you seemed to have left out many vehicles that were successful.

"Wait for the 500"

"Wait for the Fusion"

"Wait for NAIAS"

"Wait for the launch"

"Wait for the '08 Focus"

"Wait for the launch"

"Wait for the refresh"

"Wait for the C2 Focus"

etc.

Touche

Funny, you seemed to have left out many vehicles that were successful.

Not that I would ever want to defend PC, but we don't have to wait for the one's that were successful...

Edited by NLPRacing

"Eyes water", eh?

Let's see - large sedans have always been a tough sell unless rear wheel drive, and based upon the sales of this platform, he sees determined to throw good money (well, borrowed money) after bad on this turkey.

In a large sedan, rear wheel drive is mandatory for me - and the simpler, the better, which means All Wheel Drive holds no interest for me either.

Is it that difficult? - build something American in style and features that Americans want to own, and quit shoving some badge-engineered crap from Europe or Japan down our throats because Ford can save a few bucks by offering it, rather than building a proper American sedan.