Completely loaded Pontiac G8 will cost just $32,895

P71_CrownVic

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. doesn't it have the LS2....why did they lower the ratings....didn't want to steal the Camaro's thunder, i know they could make that one fast sedan if they wanted to(but i guess they would have to raise the price)

2. um yeah they do, but right now is not a time to bring something over here when they have more profitable vehicles to worry about(tough i would love to have a Falcon)

No, it has the L67 V8--------->Wiki

And where is this Ford you speak of? Do they sell it at my local dealership? Do they sell it on this continent?

The one thing that surprises me is that people are saying it's a good value, but isn't that around the price of the GTO when it first came out? Low to mid-$30Ks?

I wonder how much of the GTO's failure was because of its rather disappointing styling, how much was price, and how much of it was being a two-door coupe. Travis Creed cheesed off a lot of loyal Charger fans when he famously said "Coupes don't sell.", but I'm wondering if he may have been on to something. (as opposed to just ON something)

Very nice......

I still lament not getting my hands on the last of the GTOs, Pontiac dealers couldn't give those away.

It's funny you say that. Every time I go to E-Bay, I'm amazed at all the 04-07 GTOs available. With about 15,000-30,000 miles on the clock, most of the 04's (with the 350hp 5.7) and the 05's (with the 400hp 6.0) are below Ovaltine's $20K limit. In general, the sellers ask for $20K+, but the bidding rarely gets that high. There's a Lingenfelter-tuned 530hp/500 lb-ft limited edition GTO on there, and with about an hour left of bidding, the top bid is only $31,500! The ones from dealers sometimes have warranties, as well, which is nice.

I wonder how much of the GTO's failure was because of its rather disappointing styling, how much was price, and how much of it was being a two-door coupe. Travis Creed cheesed off a lot of loyal Charger fans when he famously said "Coupes don't sell.", but I'm wondering if he may have been on to something. (as opposed to just ON something)

A sedan is just a more useful car. Plus, this G8 is not small. It's only slightly smaller than the Panthers.

A sedan is just a more useful car. Plus, this G8 is not small. It's only slightly smaller than the Panthers.
Actually, according to YahooAutos, the G8 is 196.1 inches long, while the Crown Victoria is 212 inches long. Which I find strange, because they have almost exactly the same wheelbase at around 114.7 inches. I knew the overhangs on the C.Vic were long, but I had no idea. The room inside is comparable too, though the G8's has about an inch or two less in some places.

How about the macho exterior and the Mercedes chassis.

Yes, how impressive that the Charger utilizes some bits and pieces from the previous generation E-Class.

And yes, I hate GM.

Gosh, I never would've guessed! You don't seem to propagate your opinion enough around here...

Irrational hatred of a car company, no matter how good the products are, does, indeed, make you a tool. Congratulations.

Irrational hatred of a car company, no matter how good the products are, does, indeed, make you a tool. Congratulations.

Well, a ton of people fit that bill on this site, so beware the blanketing statements. There are a ton of people here that probably don't like GM products, just for the name. That's why it's a Ford site.

Ford loyalists will rally behind product, no matter how crappy it may be, bemoan negative Ford automotive reviews, and hate on any imports, or competing domestic brands. But guess what? You'll find the same kind of people on GM sites, import sites, whatever. That's what blind loyalty means. You are blind to everything but the brand.

The point? You're not going to win people over coming on to a Ford site with a "VetteZ06" username and calling someone a tool for not liking GM product.

Personally, I have zero brand loyalty. I'll take the best car for me under any name, brand, badge, whatever. My entire family was a all-Ford family until 1989, when my brother bought a Honda CRXsi. Since then all our eyes have been open to other vehicles. The quality and performance of that car opened all our eyes.

BTW, it's not a rant, just a comment. Just because you (and I) can see the quality in other vehicle manufacturers, doesn't mean we should expect to find a similar belief system in a Ford forum. It is a Ford forum at the end of a day.

BOT: If this is true, it's a good move for Pontiac, as the car is quite the performance bargain.

Edited by the_spaniard

Personally, I have zero brand loyalty. I'll take the best car for me under any name, brand, badge, whatever. My entire family was a all-Ford family until 1989, when my brother bought a Honda CRXsi. Since then all our eyes have been open to other vehicles. The quality and performance of that car opened all our eyes.

Good for you. I am the same way 100%

Well, a ton of people fit that bill on this site, so beware the blanketing statements.

I disagree heartily. There are a few of these people around (like suv_guy), but most of you seem to possess the ability to recognize a good car based on its merits. Does that mean you have to like it? Absolutely not. Does that mean you should be able to give credit where credit is due, even when the car isn't from your favorite manufacturer? Yes.

You'll find the same kind of people on GM sites, import sites, whatever. That's what blind loyalty means. You are blind to everything but the brand.

You are correct. That doesn't mean blind loyalists shouldn't be challenged/aren't wrong. Will I change suv_guy's opinion? Nope. Does that matter? Nope.

The point? You're not going to win people over coming on to a Ford site with a "VetteZ06" username and calling someone a tool for not liking GM product.

I'm not really trying to win anybody over. suv_guy is the target of my ire because he truly is a tool. If I did it simply because a certain person didn't like a GM product, I'd probably be "getting into it" with many other members, too.

BTW, it's not a rant, just a comment. Just because you (and I) can see the quality in other vehicle manufacturers, doesn't mean we should expect to find a similar belief system in a Ford forum. It is a Ford forum at the end of a day.

This is, undeniably, the truth. I like to understand the perspective of "the other side," but sometimes I run across somebody who is especially toolbag-ish, and I cannot refrain from commenting.

I disagree heartily. There are a few of these people around (like suv_guy), but most of you seem to possess the ability to recognize a good car based on its merits. Does that mean you have to like it? Absolutely not. Does that mean you should be able to give credit where credit is due, even when the car isn't from your favorite manufacturer? Yes.

You are correct. That doesn't mean blind loyalists shouldn't be challenged/aren't wrong. Will I change suv_guy's opinion? Nope. Does that matter? Nope.

I'm not really trying to win anybody over. suv_guy is the target of my ire because he truly is a tool. If I did it simply because a certain person didn't like a GM product, I'd probably be "getting into it" with many other members, too.

This is, undeniably, the truth. I like to understand the perspective of "the other side," but sometimes I run across somebody who is especially toolbag-ish, and I cannot refrain from commenting.

You are funny.

The problem with suv_guy_19 is that no matter what Ford does, he not only approves, but goes along with it like it was/is the best thing ever. His future wife should have a Ford tattoo on her forehead. She will be the happiest wife in the world.

BTW: Welcome!

Yes, how impressive that the Charger utilizes some bits and pieces from the previous generation E-Class.

Gosh, I never would've guessed! You don't seem to propagate your opinion enough around here...

Yes, well, I'm glad that your opinion is so much more valid than mine, and the E series chassis is very nice, and makes the car drive great.

Hey JPD, I get the Camel and the Kangaroo, but what is that thing in the middle? Hippo?. BTW do you have Camels running loose down under?

Sure do, they were introduced in late 1840s from the Canary islands

Each year they have Camel races for charity, LOL.

The third creature in the road signs is a wombat, kind of like a big badger.

Pretty docile creatures but the love diggin' F***n holes!

An angry one might scratch you with those claws but there's no rabies in Australia.

daphne_wombat_release.jpg

Edited by jpd80

No, it has the L67 V8--------->Wiki

And where is this Ford you speak of? Do they sell it at my local dealership? Do they sell it on this continent?

well it is the same size as the LS2 so i don't know why they didn't just put that in there unless they want a GXP version for that application

oh and that Ford is in Australia......please remove the stick from your ass, just cause my statement proved your biased statement wrong doesn't mean you have to twist it all around and make me look stupid you closed minded SOB, yeah thats where this Pontiac(Commodore) came from and it is the Commodore's biggest competitor, maybe you think i hate the G8 cause im on a Ford forum......i guess that is where you are wrong

to BOF: sorry for the rude comment aimed towards P71_CrownVic

Is it the cheap, standard-issue Chrysler interior that won you over? Or simply the fact that it's not a GM vehicle?

You're a tool.

maybe you're a tool

i mean you come on to an obviously Ford biased forum and call someone who likes Ford and hates GM a tool

im not sticking up for suv_guy, cause i personally do not care(did not say hate) for the Charger, but i don't think he is the tool here....

i guess im a tool for hating Toyota, even though when i was a little kid our family car was a Camry and our first SUV was a 4Runner, it was my mom's favorite car until the present X5 she has

Edited by Ford-150

Sure do, they were introduced in late 1840s from the Canary islands

Each year they have Camel races for charity, LOL.

The third creature in the road signs is a wombat, kind of like a big badger.

Pretty docile creatures but the love diggin' F***n holes!

An angry one might scratch you with those claws but there's no rabies in Australia.

daphne_wombat_release.jpg

I have seen "Roo Bars" on SUVs. I would guess hitting a Camel would be really bad, like a Moose. Western Pennsylvania has the highest incidence of Auto/Deer collisions. I have come close a couple of times. I was in Court a few years ago when the Judge and his staff were talking about the Bucks they got on first day of hunting season (the Courts are closed that day) The Judge got a large Buck and one of the female lawyers said she got one too. When asked what she was using she replied Chrysler LeBaron.

The Wombat is so ugly he's cute.

Nice!! Seems like a pretty good deal for a decent looking, seemingly performance oriented vehicle. I really think the G8 will be a strong seller GM. Hopefully Ford will take notice and produce something equivalent.

I don't think it will be that strong of a seller for GM. With gas prices going up, I don't see demand for V8 cars going up drastically. Plus, I don't see people wanting to pay 33k for a Pontiac! Ford is smarter for having a more fuel-efficient fleet of models. People here wish Ford have more V8 RWD cars here, but Ford will look smarter in the near future.

The Judge got a large Buck and one of the female lawyers said she got one too. When asked what she was using she replied Chrysler LeBaron.

:hysterical:

Back on topic, though, it looks like GM was able to keep the fully-loaded price down by not offering several options, probably so that the car wouldn't cross over into sport-luxury and compete with the CTS.

well it is the same size as the LS2 so i don't know why they didn't just put that in there unless they want a GXP version for that application

oh and that Ford is in Australia......please remove the stick from your ass, just cause my statement proved your biased statement wrong doesn't mean you have to twist it all around and make me look stupid you closed minded SOB, yeah thats where this Pontiac(Commodore) came from and it is the Commodore's biggest competitor, maybe you think i hate the G8 cause im on a Ford forum......i guess that is where you are wrong

to BOF: sorry for the rude comment aimed towards P71_CrownVic

Mature...what are you 4?

Anyway, when that G8 hits GM showrooms here soon, FORD WILL NOT HAVE A CAR THAT COMPETES WITH IT! You show me a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury that has around 350 HP, 4-doors, IRS, and RWD.

They don't have it.

Mature...what are you 4?

Anyway, when that G8 hits GM showrooms here soon, FORD WILL NOT HAVE A CAR THAT COMPETES WITH IT! You show me a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury that has around 350 HP, 4-doors, IRS, and RWD.

They don't have it.

and you show me how the G8 will do ANYTHING For GM's bottom line - GM will barely break even (if that), sell about 2k of them a month (AT MOST) and fund this as an extensive Marketing move for Pontiac, which will fall completely flat on its face, because all the good stuff of the G8 is completely absent from the Vibe, G6, G5 or any other turd in the Pontiac lineup.

This is a useless exercise in "being a car guy" which will do NOTHING to move GM forward ... Ford might not satisfying too many enthusiasts with car like Taurus, and Fusion, but in the end Ford is building a steady base of real customers that buy a new car ever 4-7 years, and will be happy to come back to Ford if their current Ford is a good car. GM can go on chasing castles in the sky with RWD G8, RED G6, El Caminos, RWD Impalas, and Solstice Coupes (with no trunk space) - I rather see Ford go it step by step with mainstream cars that sell and turn profit and more the brand back to the purview of the Joe and Jane Schmo the buyers.

Exotic models like the G8 are nice, but GM or Ford are NOWHERE in the position to spend money on little toy loss-makers like that; there is a bigger fish to fry.

Igor

Edited by igor