Focus Shifts to Lincoln from Mercury - Car News

Another thing to point out...I'm going to say that this time next year, Lincoln Sales will be higher then Mercury sales, because if you look at the numbers now, its only a difference of about 30-40K units a year. That can be done by the MKS with no problems. Then add in the Mk Flex and MKR and it will def sell alot more then Mercury will...

thinker.gif

Yeah no shit. More product = higher sales.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Lincoln sales are up year over year, so your point is..........?

Total Lincoln .................. 10 Month to October 2007 112,678

Total Lexus ................. 10 Month to October 2007 269,775

Yes Lincoln trucks are up, but cars are down as of October 2007.

So let me ask you this, outside of the new edge Cougar (which could be argued that it was just a Ford Probe with a different name) and Capri convertible, in the past 10-15 years, when has Mercury had its own Unique product?

They need to look at GM, The Aura and Malibu share the same platform but are 100% different on the interior and exterior, Ford can't even invest in a new interior for Mercury, they won't do anymore than slap a waterfall grill on the front and order different taillight fixtures.............Mercury has the potential, and it is sad to see that being wasted. Then even more sad when people think Ford didn't kill mercury and they have a future. They don't need to give Mercury unique product, they need to give mercury unique designs, I mean for god sake what is wrong with them.

Everyone is saying Mercury needs product or doesn't have product...when for the most part it does already since its a trim level or new front and rear end on a current Ford product.

DO you really think that is best for Mercury and most beneficial for Ford Fincancially? Ford is penny wise and dollar dumb, they are the poster child of that, it wouldn't cost much more to give Mercury's unique exterior and interior designs from fords. This brand was on a brink of selling over 400k at the beginning of the decade and now where will they land?

Another thing to point out...I'm going to say that this time next year, Lincoln Sales will be higher then Mercury sales, because if you look at the numbers now, its only a difference of about 30-40K units a year. That can be done by the MKS with no problems. Then add in the Mk Flex and MKR and it will def sell alot more then Mercury will...

Well no fucking duh, Lincoln and Mercury's sales are both pathetic distaers compared to just in 2001, Ford could probably keep Lincoln even and Mercury's further sales drop next year would probably put them under Lincoln.

Mercury is dead, ford has no plans to spend the equity Mercury is valued at, they are throwing away money and profit, because they think a silver piece on the dash that ford doesn't have is maximizing the potential profit they could get out of mercury.

And your point is.........?????????

Are we now going to split hairs about whether an increase in truck sales (which includes the un-truck-like MKX) really counts? Or are you going to admit that providng a bevy of decent products albeit ones based on Ford platforms might actually benefit Lincoln?

Lincoln has gotten to the point where they could of given it a Ford focus and done nothing more than put a lincoln emblem on it and it would've of benefitted Lincoln. But the question remains is that the best way to resuurect Lincoln.

I am curious to know your stance. DO you see lincoln new direction(of being entry luxury) as their future? Or do you see their current attempts as nothing more than a stepping stone back into this luxury market?

They need to look at GM, The Aura and Malibu share the same platform but are 100% different on the interior and exterior...

Yes, but GM is not Ford...therefore they (Aura and Malibu) suck. The yes-crew would rather have herpes and bird flu than admit that GM may have done something right.

If the Toyota FJ Cruiser had had a Ford label on it and been called Bronco, they would be all over it.

And your point is.........?????????

Are we now going to split hairs about whether an increase in truck sales (which includes the un-truck-like MKX) really counts? Or are you going to admit that providng a bevy of decent products albeit ones based on Ford platforms might actually benefit Lincoln?

Because consumers are actually purchasing Toyo/Lexus , its a bad comparo.

I will admit it when and if Lincoln can provide a bevy of decent products that the consumer actually buys.

Because consumers are actually purchasing Toyo/Lexus , its a bad comparo.

And consumers AREN'T buying Lincolns? Really? Retail share for Lincoln has been up year over year for over a year now......

But I get it, as long as Lincoln isn't selling as much as Lexus, they are worse and Ford's strategy is flawed, just like when Toyota was selling fewer Lexuses than Ford was selling Lincolns, Lexus was worse, and Toyota's strategy was flawed.....

Yes, but GM is not Ford...therefore they (Aura and Malibu) suck. The yes-crew would rather have herpes and bird flu than admit that GM may have done something right.

If the Toyota FJ Cruiser had had a Ford label on it and been called Bronco, they would be all over it.

absolutely wrong...if Ford had brought out the FJ or a vehicle with as bad/ dangerous a blind spot the PRESS would have been all over it........POS that vehicle, one of the worst.

And consumers AREN'T buying Lincolns? Really? Retail share for Lincoln has been up year over year for over a year now......

But I get it, as long as Lincoln isn't selling as much as Lexus, they are worse and Ford's strategy is flawed, just like when Toyota was selling fewer Lexuses than Ford was selling Lincolns, Lexus was worse, and Toyota's strategy was flawed.....

I wish all the best for Lincoln.

sure you do.

Now this is a nice way to put it (read this on another forum)

The point is that no one wins anything playing the 'me, too' game. It is the disruptors that steal a march on the established leaders.

Lincoln need to produce a car that combines BMW performance, Audi interior feel, and traditional Lincoln luxury appointments and then sell them in a Lexus-like atmosphere. That will be disruptive and, eventually, lead to a new heritage that's more sustainable.

Now this is a nice way to put it (read this on another forum)

The point is that no one wins anything playing the 'me, too' game. It is the disruptors that steal a march on the established leaders.

Lincoln need to produce a car that combines BMW performance, Audi interior feel, and traditional Lincoln luxury appointments and then sell them in a Lexus-like atmosphere. That will be disruptive and, eventually, lead to a new heritage that's more sustainable.

That sounds like the vehicle equivalent of the camel ('a horse designed by committee').

What Lincoln needs to do is talk to its customers, talk to customers of rival products, and find out what scratches their itch.

They need a consumer focus, not a product focus. What you are describing is a product focus.

Here troll, here trolly trolly troll.... There you go.... Now why don't you be a good troll, and post some other completely inaccurate and irrelevant observations.... Maybe you could call the Edge a failure, or say that it's only selling to fleets....

'

troll.

maybe you could call the 500 a success with a straight face.

'

troll.

maybe you could call the 500 a success with a straight face.

Sold to expectations the first year it was on the market, with minimal incentivizing, fleet volume, and advertising support.

Also was a darn sight better than the '04 Taurus.

Maybe that's the difference between the two of us. I'm realistic. You're..... well you know best what you are.

I don't expect miracles from Ford. I expect them to execute each launch better than the one before, I expect them to learn from their mistakes...

You.... again, you know best what you want from Ford. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us, as to how your intentions for Ford are more realistic than mine.

Or are you just here to kvetch? Sure seems like it most of the time, like when you're going on about how Ford 'needs to be reminded' of this and that. Pretty much pins you down as permanent kvetch on the board. You've basically said, with such comments, that you're only here to kvetch, or that you think that kvetching accomplishes something.

Edited by RichardJensen