2008 Malibu vs. Fusion

FordBuyer

I wonder how many on here would jump all over Fusion if its I4 Fusion had only 4 speed automatic transmission. I predict they would be all over Ford about it. I know Chevy will be replacing the 4 speed trans with one with more gears next spring, but for now if you buy new 4 cyl. Malibu you are stuck with only dated 4 speed auto. I can hear it now if the present I4 Fusion had this trans. We always have to wait for Job 2 months down the road to get Ford's best. This sucks. Funny how Chevy boo birds are letting Chevy off the hook for this one. The new Impala is stuck with 4 speed trans also. Not a peep out of any boo birds. Could you imagine if new Taurus had 4 speed trans. The new Escape got skewered for having same trans even though next year it will see new 6 speed trans like Malibu. I guess it's true...life ain't fair.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm.............thats funny, then I wonder why this thread exists? :reading:

I am wondering as well. Seems pointless to me.

But...I'll bite.

Chevy introducing the new Malibu with a 4-speed is about as lame as Ford launching with carryover engines in the F-150. I'll give you that.

BUT,

Lets not ignore the fact that the 2007 Malibu, with a 3.5 V6 and a 4-speed transmission gets BETTER gas mileage than a 2007 Fusion, with a 3.0 V6, and a 6-speed transmission. I don't think the GM 4-speed is really that bad.

Lets not ignore the fact that the 2007 Malibu, with a 3.5 V6 and a 4-speed transmission gets BETTER gas mileage than a 2007 Fusion, with a 3.0 V6, and a 6-speed transmission. I don't think the GM 4-speed is really that bad.

Get your facts straight: In the Malibu, the 3.5L only comes with the 6 speed. The 4 speed comes with the I4. :finger:

Get your facts straight: In the Malibu, the 3.5L only comes with the 6 speed. The 4 speed comes with the I4. :finger:

Wrong...again.

The last gen Malibu came with the 3.5 V6 and a 4-speed.

I brought that up to illustrate the fact that having only 4 gears is not necessarily a bad thing. And on the flip side (in Fords case) having a smaller engine and more gears is not necessarily a good thing.

Considering the Fusion's 4 cyl auto sounds noisy as shit (everyone seems to blame the tranny), I fail to see how that's an "advantage", especially considering how much the Malibu has been praised for its quietness. And yes, that includes the 4 cyl.

People won't care if they perceive the exact opposite in terms of refinement.

Edited by pcsario

Considering the Fusion's 4 cyl auto sounds noisy as shit (everyone seems to blame the tranny), I fail to see how that's an "advantage", especially considering how much the Malibu has been praised for its quietness. And yes, that includes the 4 cyl.

But remember that because it is a Ford, a noisy engine is the way forward and a bold move, therefore is completely acceptable and the right thing to do.

But remember that because it is a Ford, a noisy engine is the way forward and a bold move, therefore is completely acceptable and the right thing to do.

Yeah a bunch of blind cheerleaders around here.

FWIW, I sat in a Malibu and screwed around with it at the LA Autoshow and as much as people around here piss and moan about the interior materials on a Fusion. The Malibu offers up absolutely nothing that stands out. The seat backs are trimmed in hard plastic complete with flash lines, and the door trim feels even more flimsy than that of the Fusion. I'm not impressed.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Wrong...again.

The last gen Malibu came with the 3.5 V6 and a 4-speed.

I brought that up to illustrate the fact that having only 4 gears is not necessarily a bad thing. And on the flip side (in Fords case) having a smaller engine and more gears is not necessarily a good thing.

OK, my apologies. I missed the "2007" in your post and thought you were referring to the '08 (in which case my post was accurate). However, that particular 3.5L is rated at a whopping 217HP. It was obviously tuned for economy, not power.

I do find it interesting that the '08 Taurus,which is a more apples-to-apples comparison since they have very similar drivetrains, gets 18/28 vs 17/26 for the Malibu.

Edited by TomServo92

OK, my apologies. I missed the "2007" in your post and thought you were referring to the '08 (in which case my post was accurate). However, that particular 3.5L is rated at a whopping 217HP. It was obviously tuned for economy, not power.

Thats why, if you want the performance version you get the Malibu SS with the 3.9 V6...which gets terrible gas mileage.

See my edited post above for additional comments added while you were making your last post.

No...see the Malibu and Fusion are in the same class of cars. You can't compare a "large car" to a mid-size car just because they have the same powertrain.

Thats like comparing a Ford E-150 with the 4.6 V8 to a CV. Sure they have the same engine, tranny, and rear end...but they are not the same.

No...see the Malibu and Fusion are in the same class of cars. You can't compare a "large car" to a mid-size car just because they have the same powertrain.

OK, so what you're saying is the larger car gets better mileage than the smaller car with similar powertrains? :ohsnap:

Thats like comparing a Ford E-150 with the 4.6 V8 to a CV. Sure they have the same engine, tranny, and rear end...but they are not the same.

What a load of crap! The Malibu and Taurus may be classified differently but looking at the specs, they're very close in a LOT of dimensions. The comparison isn't nearly as divergent as you depict in your example. You seem like a pretty intelligent fellow but you can be a real git some times. :finger:

I think the difference in price more than anything else is going to see to it that most potential Malibu customers are cross shopping it with Fusions and not the Taurus.

My comparison was more in regards to the gas mileage numbers since they are of similar dimensions, not who would be cross-shopping which ones.

I wonder how many on here would jump all over Fusion if its I4 Fusion had only 4 speed automatic transmission. I predict they would be all over Ford about it. I know Chevy will be replacing the 4 speed trans with one with more gears next spring, but for now if you buy new 4 cyl. Malibu you are stuck with only dated 4 speed auto. I can hear it now if the present I4 Fusion had this trans. We always have to wait for Job 2 months down the road to get Ford's best. This sucks. Funny how Chevy boo birds are letting Chevy off the hook for this one. The new Impala is stuck with 4 speed trans also. Not a peep out of any boo birds. Could you imagine if new Taurus had 4 speed trans. The new Escape got skewered for having same trans even though next year it will see new 6 speed trans like Malibu. I guess it's true...life ain't fair.

The Fusion vs. what get real! :hysterical: Hey the Escape Hybrid has a CVT, when are they going to hook one up to a gasser!

Your so Sophisticated

pcsario, one day I hope to be Naaaaaaa! Hey dude you need to put some coins in your photobucket cause you mesmerizing signature took a sh-t!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Regardless of whether or not pcsario is a troll he's exactly right here. People don't care about how many gears the transmission has if it feels more refined, and I feel like a whining engine will stick out even more than the occasional chunky shift. It's the same way that Apple was able, for years, to sell computers with comparably outdated hardware as "high end." The Fusion is a great car, and I love mine, but the Malibu is a game-changer.

Edited by danup

Regardless of whether or not pcsario is a troll he's exactly right here. People don't care about how many gears the transmission has if it feels more refined, and I feel like a whining engine will stick out even more than the occasional chunky shift. It's the same way that Apple was able, for years, to sell computers with comparably outdated hardware as "high end." The Fusion is a great car, and I love mine, but the Malibu is a game-changer.
Dude I use to buy nothing but GM goods before I was hired, if anyone has a bias towards them I do. I have driven enough of them to know that the Fusion is more appealing. Their is nothing refined about any automakers low end products that's why they sell high end products. The CTS is "refined" the Malibu is an entry level family sedan! You can use Cadillac marketing to sell a Chevy but reality dictates something different. You and pcsario are both wrong! He rarely says anything positive about Ford products but yet he continues to return to this sight, these are the tactics of a payed blogger. Edited by Furious1Auto