Tundra: 2008 Motor Trend Truck of the Year

Edstock

Don't put too much emphasize on it. MT awards on a vehicles "WOW, that's unbecoming of that manufacturer" from what I've gathered thru the years. And to not be biased, just look at some of the Fords at the time that have one...even my beloved LS...Yes, for the 2000 LS it was "WOW, can't believe Lincoln actually did something this good".

So if the F-Series Super Duty was in there, MT is most likely awarding it to Toyota, because they haven't had a record of doing trucks half way decently, whereas for the F-Series, it's "expected". They also don't take reliability, quality or durability in considering because those might be measured at longer periods of ownership, not a one week affair. It's no big secret that the word is out the the Tundra is probably as bad as the Titan in reliability, and it's less than expected sales are reflecting reality.

Those golden calipers have never meant much anyway. Just some stupid symbol to put on advertisements. Take a look at some of the past "winners." Most of them have been discontinued or flopped horribly (even Fords, mind you ..).

Edited by SVT_MAN

TOTY, COTY...who really cares.

I stopped caring in 1971 when they named the Chevy Vega the COTY. It's only gotten worse since then. AS FOR 2000 COTY, the Lincoln deserved better than what they said. And the sales of the car were great for one year. It was the right car, sold under the wrong lable.

All you need to do is look back the last 10 or 15 years and see typically every newly redesigned truck wins its first year which IMO is why Ford, Dodge and Chevy (the long term players in the recently crowded market) never seem to release a new pickup during the same model. It's hard to lose if you are the only manufacturer on the block that put a newly redesigned truck on the dealers lot this year.

Ask yourself this: If you manufacturered a pickup truck but never spent a dime on advertising would it win Truck or 4X4 of the year in a newstand magazine?

Edited by Automotive Paint

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyot...toty/page1.html

"For the record, we're in agreement with the guys at Autoblog. All things considered (Tundra's 4WD driveshaft recall, tailgate and transmission problems, etc), the Ford F-450 would have been our choice for truck of the year, too. "

The Super Duty would've been my choice as well, obviously.