Ford and Chrysler to merge?

LastMercury

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet in this thread, but a couple of examples of past mergers between struggling auto makers: Nash with Hudson in 1954, to make American Motors Corporation, and Studebaker with Packard, also in 1954. We all know how those ended up.

p.s. I learned the following while Googling this:

It was hoped that Packard would benefit from Studebaker's larger dealer network. Studebaker hoped to gain through the additional strength that Packard's cash position could provide. Once both companies stabilized their balance sheets and strengthened their product line, the original plan devised by Packard president James Nance and Nash-Kelvinator Corporation president George Mason was that the combined Studebaker-Packard company would join a combined Nash-Kelvinator and Hudson Motor Car Company in an all-new four-marque American Motors Corporation. Had the complicated combinations gone through as planned, the new company would have immediately surpassed the Chrysler Corporation to become the third of America's "Big Three" automobile manufacturers. However, the sudden death of Mason, the selection of the disinterested George Romney as his successor, and disputes over parts-sharing arrangements between the companies doomed any chance of completing the proposed merger. This failure to combine the companies effectively sealed the fates of all four.

Way to go Romney!

Edited by retro-man

Except you forget that the European market is completely irrelevant.

in 20 years Europe as a whole will either be mostly third world, or being rebuilt again by the US after WWIII.

The NA market is the one we are talking about here, and unfortunately the market ford just cant seem to figure out.

Fine, but with the US economy going down the toilet then I'd suggest that SUV companies need to be abe to sell cars in the biggest single market, the European Union. Unless you make truly premium SUV's then you won't survive here. Ssangyong's UK importer has proved that selling cheap SUV's here is an increasing struggle because they just went bust! Land Rover is wippin' Jeep's ass real good and frankly Jeep in Europe is headin' the way of the Dodo. Once SUV's are targeted in the USA for tax hikes then wave adios to the cheap car makes like Jeep. Only the premium SUV's will survive! If I were Ford I'd avoid Chyrsler and try talking to VW.

Don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet in this thread, but a couple of examples of past mergers between struggling auto makers: Nash with Hudson in 1954, to make American Motors Corporation, and Studebaker with Packard, also in 1954. We all know how those ended up.

I would have to disagree with those as a point of comparison. They had other reasons for business failure besides a merger.