Ford and Chrysler to merge?

LastMercury

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see anything that Ford could benefit from by having Chrysler...I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to think of one...

I don't either, that's why I said it's the stupidest thing I ever heard of.....the best thing Chrysler has to offer is Jeep and even then, I don't think Ford needs another brand right now. Besides, if Ford wanted to they could build a new Bronco to compete w/ Wrangler anyways. Thats basically the only thing the Jeep lineup offers that Ford doesnt have.

I don't either, that's why I said it's the stupidest thing I ever heard of.....the best thing Chrysler has to offer is Jeep and even then, I don't think Ford needs another brand right now. Besides, if Ford wanted to they could build a new Bronco to compete w/ Wrangler anyways. Thats basically the only thing the Jeep lineup offers that Ford doesnt have.

No, No, No, I didn't mean entire product lines but rather patents on any tachnical advancements, or good selling options. Like the use of the words "stow and go" seating, we have it but Ford just doesn't call it that and that is what it was sold to the public as. Or the HEMI logo, if it was at a discount price. I'm sure there are others attributes that I have not mentioned though. IMO the Bronco concept would have severly cut into the Wrangler market and possibly emerged as the class leader! I wish they had not dumped it, because I would have bought one if offered in a 4 door model!

Edited by Furious1Auto

No, No, No, I didn't mean entire product lines but rather patents on any tachnical advancements, or good selling options. Like the use of the words "stow and go" seating, we have it but Ford just doesn't call it that and that is what it was sold to the public as. Or the HEMI logo, if it was at a discount price. I'm sure there are others attributes that I have not mentioned though. IMO the Bronco concept would have severly cut into the Wrangler market and possible emerged as the class leader! I wish they had not dumped it, because I would have bought one if offered in a 4 door model!

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

BTW, maybe I'll make a 4 door version of the Bronco concept sometime for you to see. I don't think anybody's made one yet.

I'd say Jeep is worth having. While its been watered-down in recent years, it still retains loyalty and is iconic. Its the anti-Hummer. If Ford built military jeeps years ago, it would only be fitting for them to assume the Jeep brand. Another is Dodge. Say what you will, but it is still the third best-selling brand pickup truck. If Dodge was under Ford control, Ford would immediately be able to claim Dodge sales for their own just as GM claims both Chevy and GMC sales. It would also allow for Cummins sales through a Ford lot. Dodge has a good size mid-size pickup in Dakota. That has some value with Ranger sputtering to an end. The LX platform would give Ford the ability to have a realitively new RWD platform and improve upon it. They would obtain the usage of the Hemi engines in whatever applications they wish to use them in. Ford would also gain the Chrysler mini-vans. Obviously, the limited production Viper would carry over as well. Its a idea not that likely to happen, but I wouldn't say its all bad.

Some of the best models they have to offer:

Chrysler: 300 and Voyager/Town & Country

Dodge: Ram, Dakota, Charger, Challenger, Caravan and Viper

Jeep: Grand Cherokee, Commander and Wrangler

Edited by Traveler

It could only happen if all the players involved were serious herion users and needed a fix. There is no value to Chrysler being sold to Ford, or Ford considering a merger. Chrysler is still partly owned by Diamler guys. And I am sure that they might consider selling their share, but can't for the life of me imagine a scenario that would encourage Ford to invest money they don't have to take over Chrysler. And remember, that Chrysler was sold off to Diamler only because Ford didn't buy into the Chrysler thing back before Diamler was considered as a partner/buyer. And Ford had the money to burn then. Can you imagine the mess that the UAW would be facing now if they had. Nevermind the marketplace.

I'd say Jeep is worth having. While its been watered-down in recent years, it still retains loyalty and is iconic. Its the anti-Hummer. If Ford built military jeeps years ago

Ford did build Willey's Jeep for WWII, as did other companies, in fact Ford was the one who first designed the 7 slot grille.... but never capitalized on it

Besides the wrangler, which is the only thing holding up Jeep, Chrysler is worthless...what a stupid rumor

It could only happen if all the players involved were serious herion users and needed a fix. There is no value to Chrysler being sold to Ford, or Ford considering a merger. Chrysler is still partly owned by Diamler guys. And I am sure that they might consider selling their share, but can't for the life of me imagine a scenario that would encourage Ford to invest money they don't have to take over Chrysler. And remember, that Chrysler was sold off to Diamler only because Ford didn't buy into the Chrysler thing back before Diamler was considered as a partner/buyer. And Ford had the money to burn then. Can you imagine the mess that the UAW would be facing now if they had. Nevermind the marketplace.

It would all hinge on the ivestment versus return, Chrysler would have to be in such trouble that they were giving their assets away just to get out, but rather they are going to look for the best return they can get. Like I said the entire company and even entire product lines are out the Wrangler could be rebranded a Ford Wrangler and a Ford 9" rear end replace the rear axel on the Wrangler. The Ford 9" is reveared in the off road world! Either way just components and brand names would be worth their salt if Chrysler was motivated to sell cheap!

I don't really think you can rebadge a model that is immensely popular by placing a Ford badge on it. It would be like blasphemy to many, like a Chevy Mustang. If Jeep and the other Chrysler brands become available, the make/brand name really needs to be retained by whoever buys it or assumes it. I have serious doubts that Ford or GM would be interested in anything Chrysler has...even Jeep.

My bet still is that Nissan will wait in the wings for Chrysler's "going out of business" sale and will acquire much of their models, including Jeep. Reports are that Renault/Nissan are already interested in using the 2009 Dodge Ram platform for a 2nd generation Nissan Titan or kill off the Titan. If Nissan acquired the third largest share of pickup truck sales, they could theoretically leapfrog Toyota by producing both a Dodge and a Nissan model. That is, if they could keep Dodge in the third spot. On top of this, it was said that Nissan would, in turn, help Chrysler with some of their small car models. That certainly sounds like a interest in Chrysler by Nissan.

I still think a Ford acquistion of Chrysler's goods wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea for Ford, especially given their immense dealership network. There are some things there that could be of benefit, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to pay much for it. I'd say Jeep and Dodge Ram are going to be valuable to somebody, but the rest will either go along as incentives to buy or get scrapped if Chrysler goes under.

Edited by Traveler

Wow whole article based one line in another article:

Meanwhile, speculation is building about Cerberus' exit strategy from Chrysler, as well as its timing. Will it try to merge Chrysler with Ford (F, Fortune 500), or sell it to another automaker, or go to the public with an IPO? If Chrysler continues to pile up losses, investors may get anxious and Cerberus will have to bail out sooner than it wants to. In an industry used to working in four-year product cycles, fast private-equity money will likely speed things up.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/26/magazines/...sion=2007122706

Yet another reporter that has no fucking clue as how to the automotive world works and another that further compounds it

I don't really think you can rebadge a model that is immensely popular by placing a Ford badge on it. It would be like blasphemy to many, like a Chevy Mustang. If Jeep and the other Chrysler brands become available, the make/brand name really needs to be retained by whoever buys it or assumes it. I have serious doubts that Ford or GM would be interested in anything Chrysler has...even Jeep.

My bet still is that Nissan will wait in the wings for Chrysler's "going out of business" sale and will acquire much of their models, including Jeep. Reports are that Renault/Nissan are already interested in using the 2009 Dodge Ram platform for a 2nd generation Nissan Titan or kill off the Titan. If Nissan acquired the third largest share of pickup truck sales, they could theoretically leapfrog Toyota by producing both a Dodge and a Nissan model. That is, if they could keep Dodge in the third spot. On top of this, it was said that Nissan would, in turn, help Chrysler with some of their small car models. That certainly sounds like a interest in Chrysler by Nissan.

I still think a Ford acquistion of Chrysler's goods wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea for Ford, especially given their immense dealership network. There are some things there that could be of benefit, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to pay much for it. I'd say Jeep and Dodge Ram are going to be valuable to somebody, but the rest will either go along as incentives to buy or get scrapped if Chrysler goes under.

Interesting set of discussions on Ford/Chrysler/Nissan. One point missed is that putting two weak partners brings out a larger weak company.

Ford will weather the storm and does not need the loss in momentum and loss in focus that a merger brings. They are better off going it alone and having technology share agreements with either Toyota or Honda.

Chrysler LLC is in real trouble. Their product line is too heavily truck based when the market wants fuel efficiency. The RAM 1500 is the best truck they ever made but people can't afford the gas bills. The 300 series car needs an upgrade in styling and engines/transmissions. When DaimlerChrylser tooled the Daimler automatic for this vehicle, they tooled the old daimler 5 speed, not the new 7 speed automatic that was being introduced in Europe on the Mercedes brand.

GM is probably willing to take Jeep brand off Chrylser's hands complete. Nissan wants the minivan and the RAM series trucks. Caliber/Sebrings offerings have not sold as well as the vehicles they replaced. I give Chrysler about one year to figure it all out.

Remember , there is not a mortgage crisis. Its really a job crisis, ie lack of good paying jobs for as many people that want to work hard to make an honest living making things. /we need a social import tax on all imported products.

edselford

Why not it worked for the Chevy Tracker, and would still be selling well in this MPG crazy buying market if Chevrolet had spent some money on the line! If people were on public notice that the Ford Wrangler was being built in the same facility and by the same people, but with some materials upgrades the "Ford Tough" truck reputation would carry over! The Wrangler is not the holy grail of off road vehicles, in 65' the short wheel base Bronco was just as capable and if Ford had had the government contracts it would still be available today!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Not to jump tracks, but you're bringing up the Ford Bronco at a good time. Ford should be capitalizing on the Bronco name right now with something along the lines of the Wranger 2-door and 4-door. Many folks liked the idea of a four door Wrangler, but purists still want a two-door. Why shouldn't Ford do something along the lines of the Rubicon with the Bronco name.

As for the GEO to Chevy transition, that was just one GM brand absorbing another. I myself would much rather see Ford develop upon the iconic name they arleady have.

Why not it worked for the Chevy Tracker, and would still be selling well in this MPG crazy buying market if Chevrolet had spent some money on the line! If people were on public notice that the Ford Wrangler was being built in the same facility and by the same people, but with some materials upgrades the "Ford Tough" truck reputation would carry over! The Wrangler is not the holy grail of off road vehicles, in 65' the short wheel base Bronco was just as capable and if Ford had had the government contracts it would still be available today!

Just a note, I own a Wrangler and belong to the Jeep clubs around here and no loyal buyer will take two looks at a Ford Wrangler..I might..but you can bet I'll be the only one.

The whole Ford merging arguement is pointless, but should something so ridiculous happen they would do well to keep a strong name like Jeep

Not to jump tracks, but you're bringing up the Ford Bronco at a good time. Ford should be capitalizing on the Bronco name right now with something along the lines of the Wranger 2-door and 4-door. Many folks liked the idea of a four door Wrangler, but purists still want a two-door. Why shouldn't Ford do something along the lines of the Rubicon with the Bronco name.

As for the GEO to Chevy transition, that was just one GM brand absorbing another. I myself would much rather see Ford develop upon the iconic name they arleady have.

Bingo..if they made a 2door short wheelbase wrangler competitor I wouldn't be driving a Jeep

Why should Ford buy Jeep when it's selling Land Rover. All the arguements for selling Land Rover (e.g expenditure on hybrid tech) go double for Jeep. They may be big in the USA but they are tiny in Europe. Land Rover is big on both sides of the Atlantic and has bigger profit margins.

Chrysler will make sense to a few companies like Nissan and maybe VW. In addition if it's split up then the Asian business's may circle. TATA or someone like them could bid.....

"No, No, No, I didn't mean entire product lines but rather patents on any tachnical advancements, or good selling options. Like the use of the words "stow and go" seating, we have it but Ford just doesn't call it that and that is what it was sold to the public as."

Ford doesn't need Chrysler for a marketing "patent", if Ford chose to, they could come up with their own witty name for their system and advertise it. Instead, Ford rather spend that marketing money on something else...what it is, is beyond me since their advertising lacks education and instead or more like whack-off fantasies and senarios...

As for technical advancements, I can't really think of any right now. Some engines they can't even figure out why they suffer from engine sludge, majority of their engines are old tech, and the Hemi is just marketing ploy that brings nothing new to the engine world.

So again, I can't think of anything...

Just a note, I own a Wrangler and belong to the Jeep clubs around here and no loyal buyer will take two looks at a Ford Wrangler..I might..but you can bet I'll be the only one.

The whole Ford merging arguement is pointless, but should something so ridiculous happen they would do well to keep a strong name like Jeep

If there was noting comparable on the market you would either buy a Ford Wrangler or try to preserve the one you have until you could no longer get parts for it! Badging does not change the vehicle content! Don't get your panties in a bunch a merger will never happen, nor will a Ford purchase of an entire product line!

As for technical advancements, I can't really think of any right now. Some engines they can't even figure out why they suffer from engine sludge, majority of their engines are old tech, and the Hemi is just marketing ploy that brings nothing new to the engine world.

So again, I can't think of anything...

That's right if Ford was to take on HEMI it would be the name only and for the reason you sighted, Ford builds better motors and trannies. The current HEMI is not based off of the original 426 CID block and it's use is just that a marketing ploy!