What will be the "big auto news of 2008"?

TStag

Regarding sales specifically, I expect things to pick up by late summer.

So I could add; Ford stuns analysts with a big uptick in sales with new Flex, F 150 and a revamped midsize lineup.

Thats exactly how I picture it. Ford's losses have been becoming smaller and smaller, every month. Its gotten to the point where Ford came out of the black for a while and posted actual profits, a first in quite a while. I think Ford is nearly back in business, and I think things will only get better this year. With Ford's new F-Series Super Duty trucks, Flex, revamped Focus, the new Escape and more Mustang models then ever, Ford stands a good chance of at least one of those aforementioned vehicles becoming a success in terms of sales. The Super Duty's fate is pretty much set in gold, we all know its going to sell like the Taurus and Tempo did in the 1980's. Especially because SD offers what Nissan, Toyota and Honda don't. A full-size heavy duty rig with diesel and dually options. There is no heavy duty Tundra, Titan or Ridgeline. In addition to all-new and redesigned models, we've got a face-lifted Fusion coming up, a redesigned F-150 and a face-lifted Mustang. Ford's going to do good.

I've (probably falsely) assumed that you are a young person (early 20's).

But, if you are old enough to remember the Hyundai Excel of the Mid-80s, you will remember the initial flurry of sales/accolades followed by a 10-15 year "dark ages", that Hyundai is only now climbing out of.

I suspect the Chinese will ape Hyundai's experience.

You're close, I'm 17. So, no I don't 'remember' the Excel of the mid-80s, LOL.

You're close, I'm 17. So, no I don't 'remember' the Excel of the mid-80s, LOL.

Well, in 1985-86 you could buy a brand new Hyundai Excel for less than $5,000. I don't remember what that got you, but for not much more you could get A/C and a couple of other baubles. A comparable Chevy Cavalier would have been about 1-2K more.

Initially the quality, while not up to the standards of Hondas of the day, was considered comparable to or better than most other cars on the market.

They were cheap to buy, operate, and insure; and they weren't as decrepit as a Yugo.

Long term reliabilty and resale became an issue, and Hyundais fell from fashion within a few years.

If you're 17 then you don't remember any of the '80s at all. You didn't miss much. The majority of music sucked (Madonna may HAVE been a virgin, or just like one). We just had to pay for music, or tape it off the radio. You'll also likely never have the pleasure of cruising around in your Mom's station wagon (Vista Cruiser or Country Squire); although I don't know that a minivan is much better. Many (most?) cars will still rear-wheel-drive though. I could purchase (leaded!) gas for $0.599/gallon in 1986.

Hell, for all I know I went to high school with your parents. Time to go do the wife, so I can remind myself I'm not dead yet. I've got a wife, two kids, and a mortgage; maybe I AM dead. :hysterical:

Here's one that I regret may come true...

Tundra beats Dodge Ram in sales and takes 3rd spot. Ford & GM in first and second. Ford F-series is highest selling above Chevy, but GMC & Chevy combined will outsell Ford as usual.

I figure the same thing. Unless by some miracle the 2009 Ram is an excellent truck and Chrysler markets it well.

Well, in 1985-86 you could buy a brand new Hyundai Excel for less than $5,000. I don't remember what that got you, but for not much more you could get A/C and a couple of other baubles. A comparable Chevy Cavalier would have been about 1-2K more.

Initially the quality, while not up to the standards of Hondas of the day, was considered comparable to or better than most other cars on the market.

They were cheap to buy, operate, and insure; and they weren't as decrepit as a Yugo.

Long term reliabilty and resale became an issue, and Hyundais fell from fashion within a few years.

If you're 17 then you don't remember any of the '80s at all. You didn't miss much. The majority of music sucked (Madonna may HAVE been a virgin, or just like one). We just had to pay for music, or tape it off the radio. You'll also likely never have the pleasure of cruising around in your Mom's station wagon (Vista Cruiser or Country Squire); although I don't know that a minivan is much better. Many (most?) cars will still rear-wheel-drive though. I could purchase (leaded!) gas for $0.599/gallon in 1986.

Hell, for all I know I went to high school with your parents. Time to go do the wife, so I can remind myself I'm not dead yet. I've got a wife, two kids, and a mortgage; maybe I AM dead. :hysterical:

I see. My mom never had a minivan thank goodness. She went straight to SUVs, and has been there since.

indian again rides (yea i want a chief) screw everthing else.....walmart sells chicom cars........toyota goes #1 for the next 100 years....president hitlery (lets hope not) bails out chrysler....ford manages to sell 10 taurus vehicle per month (piece of crap thats an embarassment).....challenger is wildly succussful...camaro goes into production and surpasses all expectations..ford announces the new 2009 mach 1 then recinds and announces new hurricane boss 302 then recinds, closes shop and lays off 80K people...detroit goes up in smoke along with the rest of the country and your best friend becomes your ak47...(ok include the dog also)....snooter

lay off the crack

Here's one that I regret may come true...

Tundra beats Dodge Ram in sales and takes 3rd spot. Ford & GM in first and second. Ford F-series is highest selling above Chevy, but GMC & Chevy combined will outsell Ford as usual.

How many Rams are sold in a year? I don't think the Tundra will break 200K units this past year..guess we'll find out later today.

How many Rams are sold in a year? I don't think the Tundra will break 200K units this past year..guess we'll find out later today.

According to an article linked to in another thread, Toyota sold about 197K Tundras this year, so if suv_guy's number for Ram sales is right, then there's no way Tundra outsold Ram.

I'm talking about next year Tundra beating Ram, but I 'm pretty sure that Dodge can still edge them because of the HD line. Plus Dodge has $12,000 off sticker at the local dealers right now. You can get a quad cab hemi for $20K. That is the meaning of WHORING out your trucks. If somebody just wanted a pick up truck reguardless of ameninties and reliability how can you go wrong with that?

I'm talking about next year Tundra beating Ram, but I 'm pretty sure that Dodge can still edge them because of the HD line. Plus Dodge has $12,000 off sticker at the local dealers right now. You can get a quad cab hemi for $20K. That is the meaning of WHORING out your trucks. If somebody just wanted a pick up truck reguardless of ameninties and reliability how can you go wrong with that?

Oh, I see what you're saying. It's possible, I suppose. Depends what each company does regarding incentives.