RX-8 Facelift

ANTAUS

Looks good to me.

I'm sorry sir, but Canadians are prohibited by law from commenting on any RX-8, regardless of year model. This is because it is far too cool for you to handle. In order to be "RX Compliant" you must first buy a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and experience a zenful moment in it. Then you may add Canadian dribble to the conversation. LOL

I'm sorry sir, but Canadians are prohibited by law from commenting on any RX-8, regardless of year model. This is because it is far too cool for you to handle. In order to be "RX Compliant" you must first buy a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and experience a zenful moment in it. Then you may add Canadian dribble to the conversation. LOL

Ahh, southern dribble, Canadian dribble, whats the difference :P

Yeah, I don't understand why they hadn't put forced induction on the RX-8 by now. As for the pics...don't really like it. I know they feel the need to freshened up, but the ground effects raise the ricer factor too high and the front fascia looks like a Praying Mantis. I had also wondered why Nissan hadn't done a TT 350Z and then saw the Nissan GTR or whatever its called. Why did they take the 350Z front end off and replace it with something that ugly. Why not recall the 350Z 'Twin Turbo' badging from the early nineties. It was being compared to the Corvette even then. The 350Z is a handsome car as-is. Not sure I'd want a two-seater in that price segment, but its good-looking despite that.

Yeah, I don't understand why they hadn't put forced induction on the RX-8 by now. As for the pics...don't really like it. I know they feel the need to freshened up, but the ground effects raise the ricer factor too high and the front fascia looks like a Praying Mantis. I had also wondered why Nissan hadn't done a TT 350Z and then saw the Nissan GTR or whatever its called. Why did they take the 350Z front end off and replace it with something that ugly. Why not recall the 350Z 'Twin Turbo' badging from the early nineties. It was being compared to the Corvette even then. The 350Z is a handsome car as-is. Not sure I'd want a two-seater in that price segment, but its good-looking despite that.

Have to disagree on this car. The refresh is much better looking than the original.

Have to disagree on this car. The refresh is much better looking than the original.

Agreed, and there's nothing wrong with the performance numbers either.

Mazda RX-8 5.8 14.49 (6 speed)

Pretty darn close to Mustang GT numbers and coupled with the fact that it's far more agile than the GT is. There's nothing wrong with this car.

Pretty darn close to Mustang GT numbers and coupled with the fact that it's far more agile than the GT is. There's nothing wrong with this car.

I remember the Mustangs fist review for the latest style. They tested it against the 350Z and RX8. They found that although it was very capable, the other two were much better in the corners. I would love an RX8.

14.49 1/4 mile? Pretty close to Mustang GT numbers? Not really sure what Mustang GT's you were watching, but a 5-speed GT is more than capable of going over a second quicker than that down the straights.

14.49 1/4 mile? Pretty close to Mustang GT numbers? Not really sure what Mustang GT's you were watching, but a 5-speed GT is more than capable of going over a second quicker than that down the straights.

Which might actually matter if both cars just happened to be lined up at a street light with a 1/4 mile of straight flat and perfectly smooth road that is devoid of traffic in front of them. Which seats it somewhere in the very unlikely section. We are talking about two factory production street cars here and if you are going to match up the two out there on the street it is far more likely that the better handling car would have the advantage. Do I really have to point out the obvious that there's a big difference between drag racing and street racing? There are some Porsche's that get the same numbers as the Mustang in the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times but I promise you that if you decide to take them on out there in the real world you're going to get your ass waxed. Everyone knows this Nick, why argue against the obvious?

Which might actually matter if both cars just happened to be lined up at a street light with a 1/4 mile of straight flat and perfectly smooth road that is devoid of traffic in front of them. Which seats it somewhere in the very unlikely section. We are talking about two factory production street cars here and if you are going to match up the two out there on the street it is far more likely that the better handling car would have the advantage. Do I really have to point out the obvious that there's a big difference between drag racing and street racing? There are some Porsche's that get the same numbers as the Mustang in the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times but I promise you that if you decide to take them on out there in the real world you're going to get your ass waxed. Everyone knows this Nick, why argue against the obvious?

You made no mention of streetability. You just mentioned that its acceleration times were on par with the Mustang GT's, which they are clearly not -- nor even close, on the street, strip, or otherwise. Stop trying to change the criteria of your arguments after the fact.

I think that ridiculous "extended cab" looking door has got to go. IMO it makes the car ugly as sin. Not to mention its a dog...14.49...that is horrid. Only one listed on drag times is an 07 with a manual. He ran 15.01@93, while the slowest GT Auto ran 14.14@97.81.

Edited by atomaro

You made no mention of streetability. You just mentioned that its acceleration times were on par with the Mustang GT's, which they are clearly not -- nor even close, on the street, strip, or otherwise. Stop trying to change the criteria of your arguments after the fact.

Yeah, ok, whatever. Every Mustang and RX8 that gets sold leaves the lot and goes straight to the drag strip where they stay. Welcome to Nickland. Nevermind that the times posted are from "street legal" factory production stock versions of the cars, not a "drag racer" version. No "streetability" implied at all there. lol

I'll tell you what Nick, go get yourself a barnd spankin' new Mustang GT and then go pick a fight with a brand spankin' new RX8. Make sure you do it out there on the street where these two cars really do live. Watch how your 1 second difference in the quarter mile numbers doesn't amount to shit.

Edited by BlackHorse

Yeah, ok, whatever. Every Mustang and RX8 that gets sold leaves the lot and goes straight to the drag strip where they stay. Welcome to Nickland. Nevermind that the times posted are from "street legal" factory production stock versions of the cars, not a "drag racer" version. No "streetability" implied at all there. lol

I'll tell you what Nick, go get yourself a barnd spankin' new Mustang GT and then go pick a fight with a brand spankin' new RX8. Make sure you do it out there on the street where these two cars really do live. Watch how your 1 second difference in the quarter mile numbers doesn't amount to shit.

Yeah, Nick, it's not like 9 car lengths is even -noticeable- at 100 mph!

Um, BH, you might want to know that much of that 1-second difference is created by the Mustang's much greater low-end torque. The RX-8 is notorious for lack of low-end grunt. Rotaries need to wind up in order to generate torque. In real-world conditions, that's going to be at least one car length (probably more) before the cars even reach 30 mph. It means being able to reach the next light -before- it turns yellow, or having much more confidence merging into a 50 mph highway from a short on-ramp.

Edited by syrtran