Detroit News Talks up the F-150

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO04/801120368

Some positive feedback from some of the analysts.

'We need to go for a 365-degree visual change.' "

Huh? Who was it in the NBA several years back? Was it the Dallas coach that said they needed to make a "360 degree change"?

This guy wants to make a 365 degree change? So that it what? A 5 degree change overall?

Too funny.

Peace and Blessings

Hope the 5.4 will have an update in power... Imagine, the Hemi will have 380 horsepower...

Yes, and over 400 lbs of torque. That seems to be the benchmark these days. I guess we will have to wait for the official announcements but I fear the 5.4 will guzzle more gas than the competitors while being on the short end of the stick power wise.

I know power numbers sound good on paper but lets throw them all on a dyno and lets see what gets to the rear wheels as well. Ford and Dodge have sucked at that in the past. This is what really matters. Im guilty of complaining a lot about Ford being short on power in the past but I wish somebody would do this and let the chips fall where they may. Torque curves are more important than peak power 95 percent of the time anyway. Lets see some real world results to compare.

I commend Dodge for limiting their tow ratings to 9K lbs. Ford has a habit of pencil whipping those numbers just to look good on paper. A half ton has no business towing more than around 7500 lbs. That would be pushing any truck imo no matter what the rating or brand.

I'm a hard core Ford truck fan and I've gotta tell ya...the current style looks much better.

Part of Ford's advantage was that the F-150 did not look like the Super Duty series so why did they try to graft the S.D. style inside and out onto the F-150. That grille simply does not work with the size and style of the rest of the truck. I see they cut the lines around the rest of the truck deeper to make it look more angled and edged and that aint bad but those grilles and headlights simply don't fit right and do not look like an intergrated design. And those 4X4 stickers on the LX and XLT bed look like mail box numbers, they would get pealed off before it left the lot.

The interior is an ergonomic train wreck. Note the mirror switch sticking out on top of the door panel when it should have been in front of the master window switches on the driver's armrest. Notice the radio display mounted far above the controls. When you move your hand to a control your eyes momentairly are on the button that you are pushing so the display should be as close as possable to that control instead of 6-8 inches away which forces your eyes to scan up and down while selection stations. The gauges look retro circa 1968 which is cool on the Mustang because that vehicle is trying to be retro. They look out of place on this truck and they could have been larger and easier to read had they been in a common all black background instead of this bezel under a bezel look.

We will see the public reaction but I remember when the 1997 PN96 and 2004 P221 F-150's launched the reaction to the pictures was an instant hit and buyers wers signing checks long before the first production trucks were built. Thus far most people have said "well maybe it looks better in person" or "the body colored grille doesn't look so bad (because it blends in)" which is ithe same reason the chrome Platinum grille looks good on the silver truck.

I am concerned.

Edited by F250

I was hoping they'd fix the worst element about the truck and they didn't, people hate the fugly grill on the Super Duty, they sure as hell didn't want it on the F-150..

The bottom sides of the truck have that bulge that gives it the "fat girl in tight pants belly overhang look", if you remember, the Escape always had that too, but Ford fixed it for 08 and it makes it look a million times better, and more modern as well, I guess they thought a new grill and Focus taillights is all it needed :headscratch:

How many people even take these trucks off road or tow with them? Most people use them as cars to go to work and to drive to the store just like SUV's, it doesn't need to have the capabilities of the Super duty, it did need to look good like the current truck does, and it did need new engines and something new, Dodge got it all... :banghead:

I was hoping they'd fix the worst element about the truck and they didn't, people hate the fugly grill on the Super Duty, they sure as hell didn't want it on the F-150..

The bottom sides of the truck have that bulge that gives it the "fat girl in tight pants belly overhang look", if you remember, the Escape always had that too, but Ford fixed it for 08 and it makes it look a million times better, and more modern as well, I guess they thought a new grill and Focus taillights is all it needed :headscratch:

How many people even take these trucks off road or tow with them? Most people use them as cars to go to work and to drive to the store just like SUV's, it doesn't need to have the capabilities of the Super duty, it did need to look good like the current truck does, and it did need new engines and something new, Dodge got it all... :banghead:

Oh come now. The truck quickly grew on me. You may not like the SD, but people do. They sell like crazy here. The F150 should have no problem doing the same. And the F150 does need to be capable, because if fuel prices keep increasing, people are going to want trucks to do what trucks are supposed to do. The truck is very good and I think people will be very happy with it.

As much as I am underwhelmed by these new pictures, I can't see this truck NOT being a success. While I'm not the exterior styling's biggest fan, at least you won't mistake an old F-150 for a new one. That is something Ford has been VERY guilty of in the past. Not updating enough. I think there are a lot of missed opportunities on this one, but at least it stands out from the old truck.

People that are not sure or do not like the interior layout, well you will change as I did. The interior contrls and centre stack is similar to the 08 escape and focus. I to was unsure about them however after getting used to them in a very short time I love mine now . Yes there is a lot of buttons however they are all perfectly arranged and once you are use to them you do not look at the controls but at the info on the upper display which is just below the windsheild. At night it is the best looking and illuminated dash availble with the ice blue lighting. Try it ,you all will like as I did.

People that are not sure or do not like the interior layout, well you will change as I did. The interior contrls and centre stack is similar to the 08 escape and focus. I to was unsure about them however after getting used to them in a very short time I love mine now . Yes there is a lot of buttons however they are all perfectly arranged and once you are use to them you do not look at the controls but at the info on the upper display which is just below the windsheild. At night it is the best looking and illuminated dash availble with the ice blue lighting. Try it ,you all will like as I did.

It's amazing how may are drawing conclusions without waiting for the specs and all the features that will be available plus interior specs and what Ford did to the chassis and engine. I have already heard about some innovative features that I'm sure Ford will put into press release. I personally wouldn't draw conclusions until I sat in it, drove it, climbed in bed, went over every spec inside and out, and looked at price. It sounds to me thought that Ford took this redesign seriously and comprehensively went through the whole truck and improved it in many ways.

It's amazing how may are drawing conclusions without waiting for the specs and all the features that will be available plus interior specs and what Ford did to the chassis and engine. I have already heard about some innovative features that I'm sure Ford will put into press release. I personally wouldn't draw conclusions until I sat in it, drove it, climbed in bed, went over every spec inside and out, and looked at price. It sounds to me thought that Ford took this redesign seriously and comprehensively went through the whole truck and improved it in many ways.

See, I like you like this without all the doom and gloom lol :).

Agreed!!!!! and I will most certainly be one of the first ones to go take a test drive when Ford releases them. :happy feet:

Agreed!!!!! and I will most certainly be one of the first ones to go take a test drive when Ford releases them. :happy feet:

Yeah, and remember how many who drove the new Expedition with new 6 speed trans remarked about the marked improvement in performance with same engine. However, the power of 5.4 was boosted on new F-150, and I'm sure Ford will tell us how much soon and what fuel mileage will be. I also heard that new trans and transfer case were combined on 4wd model thus saving some weight. I really thought the guide on Rear Camera was cool that will put ball right under tongue everytime without going back and forth with help from outside. Some very cool stuff on this truck. Lots of new technology and don't forget HD radio and Sync. And new engines are coming within year after launch.

I'll have to say something about GM that might rile some. Even though they are improved trucks over their predecessors, I feel that GM didn't go the extra mile with their trucks. They resisted the temptation to emulate the Ford interior and acknowledge its popularity and class-leading quality. To me, I just don't think GM brought their standards up like Toyota or Dodge.

However, now the same I will say about Ford and their exterior. It really looks like an attempt to wear the Super Duty's previous front end in some ways. However, of what I've seen, Ford simply hasn't invested the kind of money you'd expect Ford to put into a new F-150 after all this time. Really aside from the front end and the tailgate, I'm not sure I can spot a lot of differences or improvements for that matter. If the 5.4 does indeed carry over, it just represents one more disappointment.

I'd like the extract all the half-ton sales for 2009 from the HD trucks and see how well the Ram 1500 does against the F-150, Silverado and Sierra 1500 and the Toyota Tundra.

Edited by Traveler