Photographers

Catalepsy

I don't know who takes pictures for Ford, but does anyone else feel that Ford has some of the worst photographers in the industry? Looking at marketing photos of other makes, they look for the most pleasant angle and lighting even for ugly vehicles. Ford photographers, on the other hand, seems to always captures the ugliest angle possible. Other makes have bad marketing photos, but Ford seems to come up with them consistently.

Granted that Taurus & Focus are not the most attractive vehicles, but when I saw them in person, I was surprised how normal they looked. Ford's photographers seem to have a way to make a car look down right awkward. Not just ugly, but awkward. This is how I feel about the new F150 photos.

003548.1-lg.jpg

At least they're getting better. This is what got crapped out for the launch of the Zephyr back in ought-five.

Now they suffer from 'short focal length' syndrome. You use a really short focal length to make the vehicle look 'dynamic', and you get, well, gigantic grilles. There's also the "Car that ate Manhattan" angle, which is where the photographer basically lays on the ground and takes a picture of the last view of your car that some poor unfortunate squirrel has before shuffling off this mortal coil..

See examples below...

FRD2008011301441_PV.jpg

This is 'short focal length' syndrome. Your brain assumes this photo mimics what you would see in real life. In fact, what you would see in real life is something that looks like a squarer and more chromed up 2004 F150, with more 'detailing'.

FRD2008011300327_PV.jpg

This is the "Car that ate Manhattan" angle. Notice how it too distorts the vehicle's appearance.

Why do I say distorts?

Look at how the truck looks from a conventional angle, as compared to the '04.

FRD2008011301429_PV.jpg

2004_F150.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

The photos are digitaly remastered to such an extent that they revealing nothing truthful about the real life design and texture of the car. I'll alway sprefer real-world photos for an honest view of new product.

While I'm sure the photo's have been Photo Paint manipulated to some extent they are "truthful" certainly no worse than airbrushing back in 50s/60s. But as Richard points out the attempt to show dynamic views are questionable.

You want to talk about bad media pictures, look at the Taurus X. They employ "Look at how bad we DON'T want our product to sell" syndrome. The background is nothing.

They should have shot it out in the wilderness...much like they did the Volvo XC70. Now, granted they do nat have the same capabilities, but they could have at least tried with the Taurus X.

Ford-Taurus_X_2008_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

Volvo-XC70_2008_photo_10.jpg

Volvo-XC70_2008_photo_0b.jpg

Volvo-XC70_2008_photo_0f.jpg

Volvo-XC70_2008_photo_08.jpg

Look at how capable the Volvo is portrayed compared with the X.

You cannot blame the photographs...blame the shitty PR dept.

Here's a good example, one X is shown to it's best advantage at a nice angle, with natural appearing lighting in a friendly setting. The other is static, flat in depth, color and location.

Which one is the a better ad? It's hardly a great ad, but I prefer to see that one.

post-19198-1200872266_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

Yeah, but why? They aren't about the same thing. Why would they should them in an off road setting. They are supposed to be appliance cars.

Because the Taurus X can handle a gravel road...and be able to have some moutains in the background

Here's a good example, one X is shown to it's best advantage at a nice angle, with natural appearing lighting in a friendly setting. The other is static, flat in depth, color and location.

Which one is the a better ad? It's hardly a great ad, but I prever to see that one.

Perfect. You should be running Ford PR, rather than the knuckle dragging, banana eating buffoons they have now.

Which one is the a better ad? It's hardly a great ad, but I prever to see that one.

timmm, the photography is only half of it...its like the Playboy centerfold/ 6 pack abdomens on the Spartons from 300 syndrome...airbrushed BIG time ( good trivis fact )