Ford Super Duty pickups are super for smugglers

05to07fordsuperduty005_lead.jpg

If the Ford Escape Hybrid is "The Candidate's Choice," then the automaker's big, bad Super Duty trucks are "The Smuggler's Choice." You see, unfortunately for truck owners, drug and human traffickers are "choosing" to steal them from the public to use in their nefarious endeavors. The reasons are simple: they're big (plenty of contraband can be carried), rugged (they can handle running off-road in the border areas), powerful (handy when running from the police), and apparently easy to make off with (they can be "stolen with a screwdriver" according to the Houston PD). In 2007, 1,245 F-250 and F-350 Super Duties vanished from Houston driveways, a forty percent increase over 2006, and notable when you consider overall car thefts in the city were down. In response, Ford is enhancing vehicle security by using keys embedded with chips required to activate new 2008 trucks' electronic ignition systems. Of course, that may not help win back former owners whose trucks have already been stolen. The Chronicle article tells of one victim whose actions spoke volumes. He switched to Chevy.

Man the Super Dutys looked good. Too bad what Ford did to them.

05to07fordsuperduty008.jpg

AB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the superduty pictured is a good looking truck, its younger siblings were beaten to death with the ugly stick however. perhaps that will curtail the stealing problem?

seems like the story was blaming the heavy duty truck for being a popular item for thieves? how about shooting the smugglers? that would work much better than blaming the truck.

I wasn't aware that the super duties didn't have the chipped keys. considering a Lariat Powerstroke can reach $60k that seems pretty stupid of ford's part, when a $21K Grand Marquis has it.

My buddy has his F-350 stolen up in Quebec a couple summers ago...the group he was with also had 2 Escalades stolen also.

Was that part of a baseball competition during the summer?

A couple of years ago, a whole group of American tourists visiting for a baseball tournament were targetted by auto thieves.

Multiple vehicles were stolen.

Edited by MarkFive

A couple of months back CBC radio had a news item that there was an rash of tanker-truck thefts in Quebec, with the stainless-steel tankers being the #1 target for thieves.

Apparently, the trucks get cut up and sold for scrap. The price for stainless-steel is such that the scrap is around $50,000, according to the CBC.

when I was hauling scrap years ago I heard a story about a guy who was scrapping a steel building on a rail siding. he ordered six gondolas to haul off the scrap to the scrap yard. when the loads were ready to be picked up, there were only five gondolas full of scrap.He claimed they only delivered five.

the guy cut up the sixth and loaded it below the building scrap.

he got caught at the scrap yard when it was unloaded.

lol i only care about looks

WOW...that would be damning if I'd ever said anything even remotely close to that.

Now did that make the Superduties any less fugly....

waiting.....

waiting.....

Nope.

when I was hauling scrap years ago I heard a story about a guy who was scrapping a steel building on a rail siding. he ordered six gondolas to haul off the scrap to the scrap yard. when the loads were ready to be picked up, there were only five gondolas full of scrap.He claimed they only delivered five.

the guy cut up the sixth and loaded it below the building scrap.

he got caught at the scrap yard when it was unloaded.

Wait a guy scrapped a RAIL CAR?!?!? Dang.

I say we chase down the Ford Super Duty trucks with a Chrysler product.

LAND_M1A2_Abrams_Down_the_Barrel_lg.jpg

lol but the top speed of an Abrams is 60 mph, but if you want to shoot it with the 125mm gun then that would be a different story

FYI the M1 Abrams tank was designed by Chrysler Defense Division which was owned by General Dynamics Land System Division at the time, and it is currently built in Lima, Ohio by General Dynamics Corporation, so Chrysler produced very little if any at all of the Abrams tank

WOW...that would be damning if I'd ever said anything even remotely close to that.

Now did that make the Superduties any less fugly....

waiting.....

waiting.....

Nope.

oh shit man you basically say that all time, if you hate a car....its cause you think its ugly, i hate many vehicles but most of the time it is the way they last

you see all you care about is that the SD's are ugly in your mind, you could care less about what it does

but i will stop since you have a childish way of internet fighting

Edited by Ford-150

oh shit man you basically say that all time, if you hate a car....its cause you think its ugly, i hate many vehicles but most of the time it is the way they last

I hate quite a few cars and they are great looking....usually I hate them because of their drivetrains.

you see all you care about is that the SD's are ugly in your mind, you could care less about what it does

What astounds me is how Ford took such a GREAT looking truck...and managed with JUST ONE refresh to turn it into a BUG-EYED abortion that crawled out of the plastic bag. I mean.....how???? atedog.gif

yeah the superduty pictured is a good looking truck, its younger siblings were beaten to death with the ugly stick however. perhaps that will curtail the stealing problem?

seems like the story was blaming the heavy duty truck for being a popular item for thieves? how about shooting the smugglers? that would work much better than blaming the truck.

I wasn't aware that the super duties didn't have the chipped keys. considering a Lariat Powerstroke can reach $60k that seems pretty stupid of ford's part, when a $21K Grand Marquis has it.

It seems like Ford is blamed for everything these days.

I'd laugh if that guy that switch to Chevy because of this incident had his Chevy stolen as well.

I hate quite a few cars and they are great looking....usually I hate them because of their drivetrains.

What astounds me is how Ford took such a GREAT looking truck...and managed with JUST ONE refresh to turn it into a BUG-EYED abortion that crawled out of the plastic bag. I mean.....how???? atedog.gif

I like the new Super Duties.

That emoticon is funny.

Considering you don't even seem to be the target market for the vehicle, why are you even talking?

Although, given your past vehicles, you don't seem to be a prime example of 'fine taste' in automobile design.