Latest BONer Prediction Falls Flat in Record Time

range

Eh, I don't know if it's a matter of NEED...just a different approach. A lot of those Mariner sales would likely have been Escape sales had it not been an option. Who knows....

I think Mariner has just replaced the Tribute as the alternate to the Escape. I've been saying for some time that a Mercury sale might not be a Ford sale if Mercury did not exist - Be it the Tribute or the Mariner either owner made the decision to NOT buy an Escape. In any event....

CYTD Sales (Note these do not necessarily correspond to model years, however generally the model year is one year ahead of the calendar year. Though two model years may be accounted for in a calendar year)

Escape

2000 - 42,635

2001 - 164,185

2002 - 145,471

2003 - 167,678

2004 - 183,430

2005 - 165,122

2006 - 157,395

2007 - 165,596

Tribute

2000 - *

2001 - *

2002 - 44,989

2003 - 49,512

2004 - 41,078

2005 - 36,761

2006 - 26,785

2007 - 13,680**

*I have not found CYTD for these years

**2008 MY is a short year for the Tribute

Mariner

2004 - 7,171

2005 - 34,099

2006 - 33,941

2007 - 34,844

Total CD2 Triplets

2000 - ***

2001 - ***

2002 - 190,460

2003 - 217,190

2004 - 231,679

2005 - 235,982

2006 - 218,121

2007 - 214,120

*** I do not have 2000-2001 CYTD for Tribby

Well Honda doesn't have a lot to choose from so the devoted hondphiles do flock to the CRV, as the Pilot has been MIA lately on the roads. You really only have 4 or 5 vehicles in the inventory, CRV, Accord, Civic, Fit and Odessey. Pilot/Ridgeline/Element don't make up that much. Compare total Ford SUV sales to Honda SUV sales. I think the Edge takes a bit of Escape sales as well, oh and Don't forget CX7 too.

Edited by kevinb120

as far as seeing repairs and parts sales around here, the ford trio way out performs the Honda and Toyota small suvs. I hardly ever see the fords in for anything but brakes, and DPFE sensors. the Rav4 is a suspension eating nightmare, and expensive. Toyotas in general are a nightmare recently. the Honda thing I generally cant get anything for, but is a common sighting in the shops I supply.

We'll I'm the business too, and its quite obvious when the majority of the boo-bodies spend little or no time around other vehicles in any level of detail. :) They'll actually argue that you don't see them in shops, have to give them away below invoice to sell them, or see what it takes to get the mythical mileage hondaphiles claim that rarely happens. Many are absolute junk trades with 88k miles on them, most near a state inspection date and you know its a civic or corolla or RAV that needs $4000 to recon to sellable condition. "oh its been reliable" because they never bothered to repair something for a year and a half after it broke and just trade them before it costs them money.

Edited by kevinb120

Looks like The DCK just set a new record for the shortest lasting BONer prediction ever!!!

At least with the infamous BEC prediction on the Edge being a flop we had to wait six months.

With this one, we didn't even have to wait six hours!!!

======================================================

DCK

01/21/2008 10:20 PM Post #60

Good for Ford so instead of having the Escape be completely uncompetitive in the drivetrain segment it is just now Uncompetitive in the drivetrain segment..........Honestly WTF?

=======================================================

Let's see, the Escape has a 6 speed auto (that's one better than CRV), better HP than CRV, and better torque than CRV......all that and equal or better mileage than CRV.

Oh, but what about the RAV4 you ask???? Well, that only comes with a FOUR speed auto with the I4, And the Escape betters it in standard HP and torque.

And then there's the "completely uncompetitive" Hybrid Escape which of course has no peers.

Way to be a DCK....congrats!!!

LOL!!! TOO FUNNY!!!!

We'll I'm the business too, and its quite obvious when the majority of the boo-bodies spend little or no time around other vehicles in any level of detail. :) They'll actually argue that you don't see them in shops, have to give them away below invoice to sell them, or see what it takes to get the mythical mileage hondaphiles claim that rarely happens. Many are absolute junk trades with 88k miles on them, most near a state inspection date and you know its a civic or corolla or RAV that needs $4000 to recon to sellable condition. "oh its been reliable" because they never bothered to repair something for a year and a half after it broke and just trade them before it costs them money.

I can toss my hammer, cause you nailed it.

the auction yards are full of used up appliances fronting as decent cars.

If its about making money.

Exactly

Honda and Toyota are able to sell the Rav4 and CR-v for thousands more than Ford is able to sell the escape and they sell thousands more a month at retail level.........it is about making money and Honda and Toyota are showing Ford how it is done, the escape is bargain bin priced, and fleet dumped and LOSING MARKET SHARE in its segment and this is a "new" model, then their answer is an uncompetive v6 compared to the larger, more powerful and and less fuel thirsty RAV4.

Range how come you have yet to post the v6 escape vs the v6 Rav4?

I think we all know why...............

Exactly

Honda and Toyota are able to sell the Rav4 and CR-v for thousands more than Ford is able to sell the escape and they sell thousands more a month at retail level.........it is about making money and Honda and Toyota are showing Ford how it is done, the escape is bargain bin priced, and fleet dumped and LOSING MARKET SHARE in its segment and this is a "new" model, then their answer is an uncompetive v6 compared to the larger, more powerful and and less fuel thirsty RAV4.

Range how come you have yet to post the v6 escape vs the v6 Rav4?

I think we all know why...............

i believe it makes 269 hp and i think 249 tq from a 3.5L V6

wasn't the press release about I-4s?

The CRV is so ugly!

Just a couple of days ago I was with my brother driving down the intersate and we where driving next to a CRV, so im looking at it and then I see the front and I made a face of disgust and the driver saw me so she flipped me the bird!

it was hilarious :lol:

she probably thought you were looking at her :hysterical:

but yes the CRV looks like a jaw with a sever over hang bite

The CRV is so ugly!

Just a couple of days ago I was with my brother driving down the intersate and we where driving next to a CRV, so im looking at it and then I see the front and I made a face of disgust and the driver saw me so she flipped me the bird!

it was hilarious :lol:

LOL, That front end is awful isn't it? It's like they couldn't figure out which front end to put on the damn thing so they put 3.

Yeah the fanboys who whined that the greenhouse wasn't changed enough can go wack off. Fanboys know nothing about the real car market. They just like to look at pictures and complain about grilles and lights. They never buy new, just tool in a 10 y/o beater.

Also, the drivetrain will be addressed in 2009. Sales up for such an 'old looking' car, too. Shows that what truly sells and what kids want to see on stage are different things.

• 2 weeks later...
Car And Driver stopped being fair about ten years ago.

But each and every issue is jam-packed with top-grade fish-wrapping and doggie-training paper.

None of the car magazines are completely unbiased. Been reading them for almost 40 years - off and on - and they all have a particular perspective that they promote. If you are looking for unbiased comparisons, don't look to them.