Lutz reveals a 4 door Elcamino for GMC

Mark B. Morrow

The perfect ride to take the boys to see the Molly Hatchet-38 Special Concert.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/22/new-yor...oor-holden-ute/

I don't understand this decision at all, I understand the vehicle, and think it could do reasonably well, but only as the Chevy El Camino...........that would garner some success........as a GMC they are only damaging the brand equity for a vehicle that will probably not sell in any meaningful numbers as a GMC

F&*k..will somebody shove Putz into an old folks home already? Throw a hard tonneau cover and you've got my Caprice with replacement parts no one can afford and less interior room. Throw a camper on it and you've got my dad's 1991 Caprice wagon but it won't seat nearly as many. Wait for it.....

Wait for it.............

freak7.gif

Edited by Armada Master

F&*k..will somebody shove Putz into an old folks home already? Throw a hard tonneau cover and you've got my Caprice with replacement parts no one can afford and less interior room. Throw a camper on it and you've got my dad's 1991 Caprice wagon but it won't seat nearly as many.

Throw a clamp on it, nobody cares what you think. It's cool, you aint, so no wonder you don't like it. LOL

disrespect.gif

:hysterical:

GMC Ute cool. Armada Master, not cool. LOL

You know with a screen name like Armada Master I just keep envisioning that scene from "Live Free or Die Hard". What was it Bruce said?

"Command center? Ha, it's a basement!!!" LOL

Seriously though, I like it. It's damned cool to me.

I really really really really really really hate the look of those Aussie "utes". But I agree with one of the comments above, if GM is really going to bother selling this here, don't sully GMC's reputation in the process. Make it a Chevy.

Nick,

I believe that this is exactly what Lutz is thinking, but in the other direction, try to introduce this vehicle, but through GMC so as not to sully Chevys reputation, if it fails, it is no big thing. But my opinion is that by labeling it a GMC...it is doomed to fail, not because of GMC, but the because target audience of this vehicle would never think GMC when shopping for this type of vehicle.

Nick,

I believe that this is exactly what Lutz is thinking, but in the other direction, try to introduce this vehicle, but through GMC so as not to sully Chevys reputation, if it fails, it is no big thing. But my opinion is that by labeling it a GMC...it is doomed to fail, not because of GMC, but the because target audience of this vehicle would never think GMC when shopping for this type of vehicle.

Well that's where it goes entirely against GMC's reputation. Chevy doesn't have a particular image to remain faithful to. They sell all different types of vehicles. GMC is known for selling TRUCKS. This thing isn't a truck and people aren't going to think of GMC when looking for this type of vehicle (not that I think many people would be looking for this type of vehicle anyway).

It wouldn't sell here purely on the basis of Aussie styling. concept is ok ( but Sportstracs and HHR's aren't setting the salesworld on fire either ) Chevys way of making this sell would be to have styling cues that harken to the GOOD years of the El Camino....ditch the 4 doors perhaps.......

My thoughts on the matter:

For starters, a 4-door version for this vehicle is an absolute requirement. Nobody is going to buy a 2-seater one of these in any meaningful volume.

Secondly, there needs to be two versions:

Pontiac G8 ST: Essentially a G8 with a pickup bed. Low to the ground, big optional engines, monochrome exterior.

GMC El Camino/Conquistador: More utility than sport. Grey cladding, raised suspension, AWD, tough design.

I think both can happily co-exist across the showroom floor from each other.

I just don't think Aussie styling translates well to American tastes......the previous GTO is a classic case.

American tastes? What's that? Sorry Dean, I don't and never will subscribe to the "All Americans have the same taste in cars." theory. If that were true you wouldn't have a market that sells both the VW Bug and the Charger. It's just not reality. The previous GTO bombed because they made it look like a doggon Grand Prix only with a much larger price tag. It looked like anything but a GTO. That's why it failed.

One thing I've noticed about Aussie styling...GM/Holden in particular, is it seems to be about ten years behind NA styling. The GTO looked like a 1996 Grand Am...and this adbomination we're discussing seems to be about as behind on styling as well.

Oh, and that does not change my earlier opinion on this turd.....that still stands.

One thing I've noticed about Aussie styling...GM/Holden in particular, is it seems to be about ten years behind NA styling. The GTO looked like a 1996 Grand Am...and this adbomination we're discussing seems to be about as behind on styling as well.

Oh, and that does not change my earlier opinion on this turd.....that still stands.

It's awesome!!!! lol You just have no taste!!!

Hey question? What is North American styling anyway?

Is it this?

2007FordMustangGT01.jpg

Or this?

2008_Dodge_Magnum_SRT.jpg

Or this?

09_08_Solara_Coupe.jpg

Or this?

2008-malibu-1.jpg

Because those are all very different looks to my eye. There's no such thing as NA styling. There's no such thing as American Tastes. There's just what people like and what they don't like.