The new 2009 Dodge Ram

CivicDuty2007

Okay, I'm the guy that tries to actually tow with an F150. I tried to tow an enclosed trailer with a '68 Cougar in it from Phoenix to Denver last summer, and the truck ('05 F150 S'crew 5.4 trailer towing package rated at 9500lbs) simply wasn't to able to get the job done (climb to 7300' in 100 degrees plus temps). I know they build F250's, but I can't get one in my garage, and my HOA won't allow me to park it in the driveway. Besides, I don't want to drive an F250 every day anyway. I have lots of friends that tow their collector cars and they have also concluded that the F150 is not able to tow anything like the rated capacity. It is not a matter of brakes, or frame, it is strictly a matter of torque.

I think you have to divide the rating by half to get a real idea about what the truck can do, regardless of who builds it. I am hoping that Ford gets a diesel in the truck that can get the job done, but I doubt that they will. I think the diesel will be no more able, just get better mileage. In the meantime, If some one else builds a truck that will do what I need, I will buy it.

The new Dodge looks good to me, but I want to hear that some one is actually using the truck to tow what I want to tow, before I am believing any rating. I think they are all full of BS. And by the way, I don't care whether you think what I want is unreasonable. I need what I need and I don't care what is good enough for any one else, so please spare us both all of the F250 crap. I have covered this before, the 460 could have pulled the load just fine. The 5.4 (331 cubic inch) v8 is just not a big enough boy to get the job done.

6.2L Boss.....if that does not come.....i guess you would have to buy the Tundra......(it's tow ratings in Crew cab are more than the F-150 and it has a much stronger engine, for now) but i really have no idea how the Tundra would pull the load, you could try a Silverado with the 6.0L(it's not a whole lot better than the 5.4L and is worst than the Hemi), GM also said they were going to put their 6.2L Vortec into their 1/2 tons

the "new" 5.4L Triton is "projected" to have 380 tq....its quite a lot.....the 5.7L iForce has 401 tq, the the "new" 5.7L Hemi has 404 tq, the 6.0L Vortec has 375 tq, the 6.2L Vortec 6200 has 417 tq, the 5.3L LY5 has 338 tq, and the "new" and un-confirmed yet probable 6.2L Boss is "supposed" to have around 425 tq

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They make medication for these repetitive problems you have.

Maybe he has alzheimers and is forgetting he's asking the same question over and over again.

Maybe he has alzheimers and is forgetting he's asking the same question over and over again.

Edited by rmc523

I keep asking the question until someone answers it. Low and behold, when they did they guy that actually does tow with his F150 didn't give you fan boys a favorable pat on the back did he? I'm not saying the Ram would do any better then what xr7 has now. All I'm saying is at least he's a real person who actually tows with his F150 and isn't just throwing around numbers like some slick ass salesman or a marketing exec. So in the end I guess what I"m really saying to the rest of you is SHUT UP!!!

I keep asking the question until someone answers it. Low and behold, when they did they guy that actually does tow with his F150 didn't give you fan boys a favorable pat on the back did he? I'm not saying the Ram would do any better then what xr7 has now. All I'm saying is at least he's a real person who actually tows with his F150 and isn't just throwing around numbers like some slick ass salesman or a marketing exec. So in the end I guess what I"m really saying to the rest of you is SHUT UP!!!

i tow with my F-150....its sort of why i have one and decided not to get a small car......but i feel no need to bitch about how my truck is slower when i tow.....

BTW no i have not towed 11k but my truck was not rated to tow it, you see you need to just calm down and take it up with igor if it bothers you too much, he is the one that mentioned that in this thread

if there is anybody towing 11k with an F-150, it's probably not their truck (business truck) and they probably have no idea what BOF is and could give a shit about it as well, and they sure as hell wouldn't take pictures of it...."how many people on here have an F-150 that is rated to tow 11k?" should be your question....the answer is no one

You want the guy that designed this:

http://images.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pic...a+dash_view.jpg

to ruin this:?

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/FordF150p...=thumb1280x1280

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/FordF150L...=thumb1280x1280 (Nav system picture)

The F-150 looks MUCH better than the hideous Tundra, both inside and out.

RMC, you have a point. That toyota interior is ugly with half side white and other side black. The F-150 has the best interior out of all the trucks. IMO, the 2009 ram center console is to wide... Must be a dodge thing.

Okay, I'm the guy that tries to actually tow with an F150. I tried to tow an enclosed trailer with a '68 Cougar in it from Phoenix to Denver last summer, and the truck ('05 F150 S'crew 5.4 trailer towing package rated at 9500lbs) simply wasn't to able to get the job done (climb to 7300' in 100 degrees plus temps). I know they build F250's, but I can't get one in my garage, and my HOA won't allow me to park it in the driveway. Besides, I don't want to drive an F250 every day anyway. I have lots of friends that tow their collector cars and they have also concluded that the F150 is not able to tow anything like the rated capacity. It is not a matter of brakes, or frame, it is strictly a matter of torque.

I think you have to divide the rating by half to get a real idea about what the truck can do, regardless of who builds it. I am hoping that Ford gets a diesel in the truck that can get the job done, but I doubt that they will. I think the diesel will be no more able, just get better mileage. In the meantime, If some one else builds a truck that will do what I need, I will buy it.

The new Dodge looks good to me, but I want to hear that some one is actually using the truck to tow what I want to tow, before I am believing any rating. I think they are all full of BS. And by the way, I don't care whether you think what I want is unreasonable. I need what I need and I don't care what is good enough for any one else, so please spare us both all of the F250 crap. I have covered this before, the 460 could have pulled the load just fine. The 5.4 (331 cubic inch) v8 is just not a big enough boy to get the job done.

You must have be doing something wrong. My dad tow's a 7200 lbs travel trailer behind our 2004 f-150 5.4 crew cab 4x4. The trailer itself weights 7200 but including our personal items, food, appliances, luggage and ourselves and 200 pounds in the bed. Our trailer weighs fully loaded around 7600 lbs. Our f-150 pulls it fine through the rockies are 110 degree heat and pulls well in colorodo in 15 degree winter. The F-150 is a true workhorse and i stand by it.

Edited by FordFanForEver

yeah it should have been over a long time ago

no actually im sorry, it was over a long time ago......

Now, now, don't get mad and pout because you're little 11,000 pound claim got busted out for the exaggeration that it is. It's not my fault you went all salesman on us and got called on it.

RMC, you have a point. That toyota interior is ugly with half side white and other side black. The F-150 has the best interior out of all the trucks. IMO, the 2009 ram center console is to wide... Must be a dodge thing.

I agree, the Dodge center consoles are pretty wide. Also from what I remember from last years NAIAS, the Tundra's center console was pretty wide as well.

Just drop it, will ya?

he always wants the last say...from looking at his posts and arguments in the past.....it is his persona

i don't know where he is getting his salesman comment

back to the topic: Ram

i like the wide center console only if it does not take away space from my body

the interior looks good on the new Ram, its not as good as the F-150 IMO(but then again i will have to see it in person) but it is better than all the other trucks, which is quite an improvement over the current Ram

also is the new suspension deal standard or optional?

Edited by Ford-150

I agree, the Dodge center consoles are pretty wide. Also from what I remember from last years NAIAS, the Tundra's center console was pretty wide as well.

Most Dodge owners I know actually like that the console is that wide. It fits more stuff.

My dad tow's a 7200 lbs travel trailer behind our 2004 f-150 5.4 crew cab 4x4. The trailer itself weights 7200 but including our personal items, food, appliances, luggage and ourselves and 200 pounds in the bed. Our trailer weighs fully loaded around 7600 lbs. Our f-150 pulls it fine through the rockies are 110 degree heat and pulls well in colorodo in 15 degree winter.

Yeah buddy, and then you woke up............................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That one might indeed be possible Ford. The current crew cab 4x4 with the 5.4 is rated to tow 9400 pounds. So I could see it towing 7200 as it's well below the limits of that truck. I don't know if the towing limits were lower in 2004 so that's the only question mark really. Amazingly enough, however, that still only makes the Ford and Dodge comparable from a tow rating point of view.

Twin, deep down inside, you really believe a 5.4 F-150 can tow 7600lbs in 110 degree heat and 15 below and do it "just fine"?? Common, that is virtually impossible!!

really....and where is your data confirming that....one guy says he couldn't and another said he did.....now what :reading:

Edited by twintornados

That one might indeed be possible Ford. The current crew cab 4x4 with the 5.4 is rated to tow 9400 pounds. So I could see it towing 7200 as it's well below the limits of that truck. I don't know if the towing limits were lower in 2004 so that's the only question mark really. Amazingly enough, however, that still only makes the Ford and Dodge comparable from a tow rating point of view.

I guess everything is subjective. My definition of being able to tow something means that I am not creating a danger to myself or the other traffic around me.

I suppose if you were happy doing 20 mph when the speed limit is 65, then you would be happy towing 9000lbs in the mountains with a 5.4 crew cab. And I do see people doing just that, or towing on a 75 mph interstate at 60 when the rest of the traffic is doing 80+. The best measure is when you get passed by loaded semi's and every F350 power stroke on the road. From a more technical point, the dealer service techs whoa re very familiar with the trucks in this environment tell me that the fail safe engine program starts to cut power when the temperature is high and the truck is under heavy load. I have no problem with that, as I would rather drive than walk any day.

I would also like to hear about that 110 degree day in the Rocky Mountains. The day I took of for Denver it was 118 in the valley and still well above 100 at 4800 feet where we started to run out of steam (downshifted to first gear, 25 mph...). i never said it was an easy tow... But the loaded combination was still way less than 9500 lbs.

When the Boss comes out, as well as the small diesel, I will be all over those trucks.