Why you don't put young men in high powered cars

SVT_MAN

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What probably will occur is that since the child lived with the parents, the parents of the other kids involved in the accident will sue the parents of the M5 kid, and their homeowners policy will cover the lawsuit...you attack the homeowners policy as well as the car policy but the homeowner one usually pays out much more.

I can certainly, however, chalk a bit of this mess up to immaturity. I certainly did a few things in my Cobra when I was 19 that I surely wouldn't even consider attempting today. Thankfully I lived through it to tell the tales though.

Same experience here, Nick.

My first car at 16 (back in '79) was a 429 cid 4bbl '72 Thunderbird. I paid for it myself with my own hard earned cash from a job I had been working at since 15. My older brother was a mechanic, and we had it maintained well with good brakes and new rubber all the way around it.

Rural southeastern Michigan has MANY miles of stick straight paved country roads where the 120 speedo on this car was pegged many a time. No seat belts on, and 1-2 friends in the car several times.

This thread's story could have easily been mine if any type of obstacle had appeared in my path.

In my defense (at least a little bit), I generally knew the road I was driving on *very well*, and as soon as the car would peg the speedo, I'd get out of it and slow right down to normal speed. I was usually a pretty cautious driver when not engaged in this one bit of thrill seeking. No speeding tickets in my youth attests to that. (Well that, and there weren't many sheriff deputies out in those parts! ;-)

And as you mentioned above, I too lived to tell AND advise against the tales! Looking at those pics and videos just makes me think about what *I* would have looked like had one of those runs gone bad.

It's unfortunate that the driver didn't know his terrain any better, since he would have realized he couldn't keep it pegged as long as he did. An airport runway is actually probably one of the best places to do something like that.... but you've got to know how long it is!!!

So to all you younger folks out there reading this thread (if there ARE any young'uns on here), take a word of advice and DON'T test the upper limits of your rides if you A.) Have ANY friends in the car and B.) Don't know much about the road/track you're on and C.) Don't know the mechanical condition of your car.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Well this area is the richest per-capita county in the country, the local HS's are loaded with STi's, BMW's, 350Z's and Mustang GT's. If I told my dad I wanted a Mustang GT for my first car, he would tell me 'sounds like a great idea, when you get yours I'll help you wash it'....Needless to say it ended up being an 81 rwd Corolla rust bucket I bought working at Toy's R Us... :P And my folks had plenty of bucks at the time

Edited by kevinb120

The way I drive is dictated entirely by the car. The Lincoln LS encouraged reckless driving because it was so powerful and nimble. I was always the fasted pain in the ass on the street in that car ;)

The Lincoln MKX is different, it's a much more relaxing cruiser but still powerful and nimble enough to let me annoy people. The MKZ is the same way, although far more nimble. Sometimes I'm amazed but what I can do with the big MKX. The Aviator had barrels of torque but was so wallowy that I had to keep it under control.

Edited by BORG

My parents let me drive our Jaguar XJ6 to prom which was a big thrill for me at the time. In a way (and this sounds weird coming from the kid), I sort of questioned their decision to let me drive it. I was actually more worried about scratching or denting it in a parking lot than getting into an accident to be honest though. (And I wasn't too happy when the kids from our neighboring school came through and wrote stuff with window paint on the windows ... I can't believe there wasn't security in that parking lot). Surprisingly, my parents didn't even mention anything about speeding or being crazy with it. I guess the thing is, I had driven the car previously, and they knew I respected it. Then again, as I said, I tend to drive like your grandma (minus the poor reaction time) and my parents know that.

That's a sad story, it reminds me of a friend of mine who was killed last year in a Firebird. He was on his way home at night in the rain from picking the car up and hit a parked semi in the empty space between an exit and the highway. From what we know, he was trying to avoid the truck's driver but didn't see the truck. Supposedly the entire roof was removed, and thus he was killed.

Anyways, on a semi-lighter note, it makes me think of how short our lives can be and how they can be taken from us at any time.

And on an even lighter note, I'd like to thank everybody here for being friendly, etc., I've enjoyed my time here and plan to continue to do so.

Now, in response to the quoted post, I was in the same situation last year with my mom's 335. They know I'm a careful driver though, I'm not the type that excessively speeds or drives wrecklessly, basically same as you SVT.

Richard: I thought the same thing. I don't care where the guy lives.

By the way, did anybody catch onto the fact that this whole situation reeks a bit of Top Gear impersonation gone bad? Doesn't Top Gear test high performance cars on their runway? Didn't Top Gear test an M5 at a runway? I realize this is probably a coincidence, but an eery one at that ...

Is this runway the kid was running on abandoned? I didn't catch that.

By the way, I am not blaming Top Gear ... those people do things under controlled conditions and not at night. Plus, they don't do anything that isn't pre-planned and thought out. Not to say it isn't dangerous. That sai, I'm not sure why you would drive on a runway at night (well, other than trying to avoid getting caught.)

I too was wondering what they were doing there. I would say they're lucky a plane didn't land on them, but it wouldn't've really mattered. I know I wouldn't do anything like that, unless I had permission....and even then I'd do it in the daytime.

It is truly sad, but I seriously doubt that anyone on this board did not do somthing stupid in an car in those first few years of driving....

The fact that the kid was on an air strip and not a public road probably kept some other family or individual from being killed. I typically see things nearly this bad on my drive to work every day.... ( I285/85 in Atlanta )

I'm 19 and I don't mess around when I drive. Too many things can go wrong. Quite a few people who I went to high school with got into serious accidents. Some were lucky and some were not...

And who knows, maybe the kid sneaked out of the house and stole his fathers car keys to do this (that itself speaks volumes). Just in the cocky messages he posted, shows the lack of maturity and responsibility which played out evidentally thereafter. Or as one friend stated earlier, "OH well, better now at 18...he was the weakest link, buh-bye"...

That is a possiblilty as well, but the article said he was returning from a basketball game with his friends.

That's an example of a good friend for you. :redcard:

I know that there have been a lot of people who have been quick to blame parents for a lot of things. I hear that particularly when kids go out and start shooting up people. And, you bring up the point that he is old enough to vote, old enough to be in the military .. those two I agree with. Old enough to know better than to do this though? Not necessarily. As others have mentioned, maturity doesn't necessarily correspond with age. Even though our law is very cut and dried that when you turn 18 you are old enough to be classified as an adult, it doesn't necessarily mean that the person actually has reached an adult-level of maturity. The reason I question this fact is because the kid had 4 moving violations from what the article said. Did that not trigger any response for the father? Most parents would sit their kid down and have a talk if the kid had been pulled over that many times.

Now, as some have mentioned here, it's entirely plausible that he stole the keys from his dad or something to that extent. If that happened, maybe there was nothing his father could have done. We don't have all that information, and it's entirely possible that we never will. Calling it reckless parenting was perhaps a bit flippant, but it's something that is plausible. Not unlike how it is plausible that this kid had not matured to a point where he should be driving any car, let alone an M5.

I don't blame you for having a nerve struck in response to my comment. Since I'm not a parent, I wouldn't necessarily enjoy that comment coming from someone my age either - so sorry for that.

The article said he was returning from a basketball game, I suppose it's still possible that he stole the keys, but if the dad had noticed his car was missing, don't you think he would've gone and got it at the basketball game BEFORE the kid would have a chance to even leave the game? Unless he just said, oh well, he'll be fine.

In my defense (at least a little bit), I generally knew the road I was driving on *very well*, and as soon as the car would peg the speedo, I'd get out of it and slow right down to normal speed.

:headscratch: Hmmm, you'd get out of the car at 120? That doesn't seem too safe or smart. :hysterical:

So to all you younger folks out there reading this thread (if there ARE any young'uns on here), take a word of advice and DON'T test the upper limits of your rides if you A.) Have ANY friends in the car and B.) Don't know much about the road/track you're on and C.) Don't know the mechanical condition of your car.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm 19 and I don't mess around when I drive. Too many things can go wrong. Quite a few people who I went to high school with got into serious accidents. Some were lucky and some were not...

I'm 17 and I don't either. Same situation about high school and accidents...see post 32.

This is a sad story no matter how it happened. I too have done foolish things at a young age and I admit that.

Some of my most idiotic moments came on a motorcycle of all things. My nephew got to drive a family members gt mustang and he made it about a half of a mile before he had the back tires lit up and the car sideways. I caught him and ratted him out. He is a smart young man but he wont make that mistake again because he wont be driving that car anymore. Plus his car wont turn a wheel unless its on snow or mud.

I did it for his own good. About a month earlier he was caught doing nearly 90 in his Dads car. To the best of my knowledge he has since slowed way down because his parents were not happy campers with him and the ticket cost him personally a LOT of money. His parents could have gotten him out of it with their connections but refused to help him out.

I still ride motorcycles to this day. Im in a mid life crisis and very safety conscious these days. I wear a full face helmet 100 percent of the time and in my state we dont even have to wear one. I never get in any car that I dont put on a seat belt. Sometimes you cant avoid an accident. It happens. All I can tell you is to WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS BECAUSE THEY MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!

For the young people in here, use your head. If you really want to see what your car/truck/suv or what ever will do take it to the track. Dont test it on the streets because you may take someone else out. I know I probably sound like a broke record and Im not trying to preach to anybody. Back in my days there was no where near the traffic on the roads as there is now. That does not give me a free pass for some of my stunts but things were a little different. Use your head and be careful.

I do NOT want to log on to this forum and hear about somebody getting killed. Once in a blue moon you hear about some horrific accident that the people did everything right and still got killed. I view that if its your time then theres nothing else you could have done and God had more important work for you. Despite those of us that argue back and forth its not acceptable for anybody to get badly hurt or killed. I mean nobody. Be alert, use common sense, and for Gods sake wear your seat belts.

Ok, Im off my soapbox now.

Edited by chevys

I still ride motorcycles to this day. Im in a mid life crisis and very safety conscious these days. I wear a full face helmet 100 percent of the time and in my state we dont even have to wear one. I never get in any car that I dont put on a seat belt. Sometimes you cant avoid an accident. It happens. All I can tell you is to WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS BECAUSE THEY MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!

You don't live in Florida do you?

I think that's the stupidest law, to not be required to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

I think that's the stupidest law, to not be required to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

No, Kentucky. We have a seat belt law but can ride motorcycles with no helmet. How retarded is that? Im one of the few you will ever see on a harley davidson wearing a full face let alone a helmet at all. I will say most of the younger riders around here on crotch rockets do wear a lot of protection. Im not sure but I think you have to be 21 in order not to wear a helmet. I guy got in a wreck here about a month ago and it turned him into a vegetable. He had a helmet with him but it was not on his head. They said it would have made the difference. Broke arms and legs will head. Heads dont.

You can thank Jeb Bush for that one...he wanted the Biker vote (typical of him) so he said he would elliminate the helmet law, and sure enough we all paid for it with higher premiums.

Then we have the Insurance Comptroller back when...Tom Gallagher... Everytime (7 times) the insurance industry came to the state and said "We need to raise peoples home insurance rates", he had no problem allowing them to.

"No child left behind?" 40% of high school students don't graduate high school. Lovely considering it's been at the same level as when it was initiated. (they can go work on a field for all I care).

But thats ok now, because of the new Tax Amendment, lots of cities will be losing services and pretty much go broke and be absorbed by counties since there's not enough money for them to operate. It's just starting to get juicy here :) But Charlie wants "more of the same"...

I read this article fairly recently about development and maturity of the human brain. link

In adolescence, the prefrontal cortex (the part of the brain behind the forehead) is still developing. "This is the part that tells you to stop and not do that stupid thing. I think part of risk-taking behaviour is because that part of the brain is unfinished. Slamming doors is basically the teenager getting angry, and they don't have the developed prefrontal cortex to say, 'If I slam the door I'm just going to make my parents more angry.'"

I totally remember doing 107 in a 25mph zone, in front of a grade school (at night), in the old Galaxie with 3 friends in the car. I remember getting into a '63 Corvette with 4 or 5 other drunk teenagers (sitting on top of each other), and hitting 135 on some farm road in Enumclaw. I remember the lack of a very strong notion of consequences. Yeah, those of us who made it are probably only lucky. And that kid's parents are irresponsible. I've ridden in an M5 before. It's the only car I've ever ridden in that felt like it weighed absolutely nothing in response to its throttle. There was no sensation of mass opposing that engine.

Edited by retro-man

You can thank Jeb Bush for that one...he wanted the Biker vote (typical of him) so he said he would elliminate the helmet law, and sure enough we all paid for it with higher premiums.

Then we have the Insurance Comptroller back when...Tom Gallagher... Everytime (7 times) the insurance industry came to the state and said "We need to raise peoples home insurance rates", he had no problem allowing them to.

"No child left behind?" 40% of high school students don't graduate high school. Lovely considering it's been at the same level as when it was initiated. (they can go work on a field for all I care).

But thats ok now, because of the new Tax Amendment, lots of cities will be losing services and pretty much go broke and be absorbed by counties since there's not enough money for them to operate. It's just starting to get juicy here :) But Charlie wants "more of the same"...

Most of this is not relevant to the topic at hand and merely a political rant.

Yeah, everybody attack those damn teenagers with their loaded parents.

Last year and the year before it (My Senior year), I was driving a Holden Statesman with an LS1. Basicaly put, I had the fastest car in my school. Sure, I did some incredible stupid stuff, but before I did anything stupid I always made sure of three things:

1) There aren't any other people around that could get hurt if something went bad.

2) The "stunt" shouldn't have a high chance of me ending in a wall/out of the road.

3) no cops. (goes without saying I suppose)

It depends on who's behind the wheel. I know a lot of people who go 90 MPH in 50 MPH zones with lame four pots, Legacies, Corollas, Civics. You name it.

The worst I did in my old Caprice was doing a U-turn going 80Km/h, man I still get a little teary in the eye when I remember, and I get angry when I remember the massive bodyroll that ensued.

Oddly enough, I've never been in an accident in my old car. But the Focus which I drive for what it is made (or like an old grandma), I got in an accident once. When it happened the first thing that came to my mind was "Fuck irony, my first crash is with SLOW one?"

I read this article fairly recently about development and maturity of the human brain. link

I totally remember doing 107 in a 25mph zone, in front of a grade school (at night), in the old Galaxie with 3 friends in the car. I remember getting into a '63 Corvette with 4 or 5 other drunk teenagers (sitting on top of each other), and hitting 135 on some farm road in Enumclaw. I remember the lack of a very strong notion of consequences. Yeah, those of us who made it are probably only lucky. And that kid's parents are irresponsible. I've ridden in an M5 before. It's the only car I've ever ridden in that felt like it weighed absolutely nothing in response to its throttle. There was no sensation of mass opposing that engine.

Ah, youth. You describe the M5's dynamics very well. AMG Mercedes models have a similar sensation, and Car & Driver said it best. When driving one of those, you can simply look up the road to a given point in traffic, and say "I want to be there RIGHT NOW", and you are.

Part of the reason I'm awfully disturbed by today's horsepower war among family sedans is the antics from my youthful days (which we're LUCKY to have survived without a single accident). The most powerful engine at our disposal was a Gen II General Motors 3.8 liter boat anchor, and we still had no issue holding 105 on the highway like it was nothing. I am fearful for years from now, when young kids are getting behind the wheels of 240hp Honda Accords and 270hp Nissan Altimas like they're nothing.