Ford Motor Company Sales: January 2008

Blue Oval Guide

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all about da used cars right now. When the market is slow, the very inexpensive and the high-line products stay the same, its all the normal stuff in the middle that takes the hit. Used cars are where you make the money(as a salesperson/dealer), although the supply dwindles as people sit on their current cars hence less trade-ins. But good used economy cars are easy to sell with little to no retail discount. I'm surprised the auto market even does this well, as only about 3% of people buying a new car in the US NEED to trade in the one they have now. Everyone talks about the 'amazing 200k mile honda this or that', yet most get traded in 3 years old with <30k miles on them....

side note...there is a HUGE difference between the mustang and Mini...i truley doubt they are cross-shopped...the Mini sells on its quirky-ness and character...it is a novelty in all reality....and between you and i , i think the Mini re-fresh has lost a lot.....

Bingo! We have a winner. I am a mustang owner and can promise you they are not cross shopped. Mustangs are a niche vehicle. Mine stays in the garage and is only out on pretty days. The mustang community does not see a mini in ANY shape form or fashion being a competitor. Competition will be the Camaro and Challenger. What scares me is that they are not even on the road yet and sales are falling. I think gas, the economy, and uncertainty in general is the cause. Good to see the Focus making some headway. People are starting to demand good values that make sense for a change for the above reasons.

Bingo! We have a winner. I am a mustang owner and can promise you they are not cross shopped. Mustangs are a niche vehicle. Mine stays in the garage and is only out on pretty days. The mustang community does not see a mini in ANY shape form or fashion being a competitor. Competition will be the Camaro and Challenger. What scares me is that they are not even on the road yet and sales are falling. I think gas, the economy, and uncertainty in general is the cause. Good to see the Focus making some headway. People are starting to demand good values that make sense for a change for the above reasons.

LOL, Same here, mine's been cooped up in the garage for the last week or so....it's been raining on and off....waiting for a sunny day :shades: Still love it!

post-19198-1201916870_thumb.jpg

...And I thought my car was clean! Looks sharp timmm55, what's the story with the "C" stripe?

On Brad's Mustang site I did a chop of a 68 inspired "C" stripe. I thought the BOSS 302 stripes were backwards for the current car (the 69/70 B2s didn't have the side sculpture). It's kind of a cross between a 66 GT stripe with the lettering, and the 68 "C". Not exact of course....

post-19198-1201921501_thumb.jpg

The current Stang is selling better than the 1991-93 era, the last of the 'late model classic' style that gen X NMRA racers love.

The new Focus shows that going mainstream, instead of 'boy racer', brings in sales. SYNC helps too. Oh, and most makers offer incentives, even Honda has them on Accords.

The current Stang is selling better than the 1991-93 era, the last of the 'late model classic' style that gen X NMRA racers love.

You mean 87-93, which were great cars, you can't even get your facts straight troll.

The new Focus shows that going mainstream, instead of 'boy racer', brings in sales. SYNC helps too. Oh, and most makers offer incentives, even Honda has them on Accords.

Yea, like those bitchin fender vents...

Why do you even come here??

Yea, like those bitchin fender vents...

Why do you even come here??

1) I think John Neff hit on something in the AutoBlog review. He mentioned that the Focus looked totally different, and then said that might be enough to bring in new buyers, going on to relate an anecdote about compliments overheard at the carwash.

2) People who live in glass houses.....

You mean 87-93, which were great cars, you can't even get your facts straight troll.

Come on lets get our facts straight here...

Old Flexible flier platform

less HP then the Camaro at the time...and much slower to boot

Ulgy tail lights on the GT models

It wasn't a great car, it was a good basis to build something great off of.

I saw a new Focus today. Doesn't look too bad. It's kind of nice.

We now have one sitting in our driveway, silver 2-door coupe, black interior, sync, ambient lighting, not for my generation but rather for daughter's :) I personally think that if they marketed this style right now, with the coolness factors of sync and ambient lighting (at a minimum), there are a whole lot of young adults receiving tax refunds that maybe could be inticed, nice for the price! I personally wouldn't want the 4-door sedan at any age, a bit too small in my opinion... would go at least the next size up if I wanted a 4-door.

Whilst I accept Land Rover is down in th USA it's still just smashed it's sales records globally. The LR2 is doing extremely well in Europe. Also Jag has aleady taken thousands of pre-orders for the XF but those figures are not shown. Only the outgoing S type and X type is shown in the USA. There is no spin there, just FACTS.

Now spin your way out of a 16.8% drop in Lincolns sales. I'm quite happy to see Lincoln supporters spin me their global numbers...... Anyone want to compare Lincoln's number to Land Rover's???? Come on it's easy, Lincoln make volume premium sellers like the "town car" or what ever it's called and Land Rover make niche models.... surely Lincoln could outsell Land Rover.....

Come on lets get our facts straight here...

You should have got yours straight before saying anything..

Old Flexible flier platform

Over-hyped, a set of cheap subframe connectors makes all the difference in the world, and the Fox cars had the advantage of being very lightweight, my Mustang only weighs 2600 lbs, and is fully streetable and legal, try that with a new Mustang.

less HP then the Camaro at the time...and much slower to boot

WTF? You have no clue what you're talking about, stick to talking about Ford's sales or something, the mid 80's all theway through 93 cars smoked the Camaro's, my stock 86 regularly thrashed the Camaro's and the vette's back then, in the REAL world, not on the internet or in the magazines.

No Ford fan should be so ignorant about this basic fact. :finger:

Ulgy tail lights on the GT models

Oh no!! The sky is falling! It's not like you couldn't swap them with a set of LX tails in about 30 seconds! :finger: If you think that sinks a car then all Ford's are crap in your book..

It wasn't a great car, it was a good basis to build something great off of.

You have no clue, the 5.0's are the modern day 57 Chevy, those cars gave Ford more good press and a halo effect than you'll ever know, for the time it ws an amazing car, one that you can do anything you want to do with, relatively cheap. If you ever go to a racetrack you'll see Fox cars beating up on exotics, Vettes, and all the new and heavy cars, with some cheap, simple mods.

Now please stop being a negatard, this is a Ford site..

1) I think John Neff hit on something in the AutoBlog review. He mentioned that the Focus looked totally different, and then said that might be enough to bring in new buyers, going on to relate an anecdote about compliments overheard at the carwash.

Those fake fender vents serve what purpose?

2) People who live in glass houses.....

Give me a break, around here the supposed cheerleaders do as much Ford hating as the actual trolls like "Ford-LOL".

Give me a break, around here the supposed cheerleaders do as much Ford hating as the actual trolls like "Ford-LOL".

1) decoration

2) and like I said, 'people who live in glass houses,' you, who rarely have one good thing to say without simultaneously saying one or two negative things, could be questioned as to your motives in visiting a place where you spend so much time griping.

It's a styling detail, along with the body crease, that breaks up the sides of the car. And the Focus is a TALL car. I was looking at a new Focus yesterday...the side vent doesn't look bad at all, at least on a silver/gray body.

It's one of those styling gimmicks that is fashionable for a time. Either you like it or not.

1) decoration

It's supposed to be a vent, therefore it's being marketed to the "boy racer" ricer crowd.

2) and like I said, 'people who live in glass houses,' you, who rarely have one good thing to say without simultaneously saying one or two negative things, could be questioned as to your motives in visiting a place where you spend so much time griping.

Absolute BS, I defend Ford's good moves to the death, just because I'm critical of their foul-ups doesn't mean I rarely have anything good to say. I constantly defend the Flex, the F-150, the Mustangs, the original Focus, etc.. All the stuff Ford got right.

Being a Ford fan doesn't mean accepting everything they do, just like being an American doesn't mean blindly accepting everything the government tells us.

I've owned only Ford's my entire life, and I plan on keeping it that way, I've paid for the right to criticize a company that was taken over by fools like Jac Nasser, and I'm damn proud that Bill Ford brought in Mulally to fix things.

The truth is, the cars that are popular amongst the posters here are off limits to criticism, like the 08 Focus, the Fusion, the Taurus, yet cars like the 1st gen Focus, the 80's Mustangs, the Panthers, and anything from Europe are bashed daily. There is a massive double standard, and you'd lying if you say there isn't.

I was out racing 5.0L Mustangs back when everybody was running Chevy's, and I used to battle the bowtie crowd at the track and on the street, I earned the Mustang a lot of respect, even changed minds and got a lot of former hardcore Chevy guys into Mustangs, I have earned the right to criticize Ford, I winder how much money they've made off me. And to remind you, this site didn't start out as a Ford cheerleader site, I first came here back in 1998, why shouldn't I come to a place because of handful of 18 year olds who were in diapers, why I was out racing, don't know Ford's or my history?

Not so silly. I had a 82 Capri 5.0 HO and a 90 Mustang 5.0 LX convertible. If not the classic 57 Chevy, they were the 283 of the era. They were the best-bang-for-the-buck and everyone seemed to make performance parts for them.

Yes, and they keep making more every year, even though they are getting pretty old, every year at SEMA there are all kinds of new parts for them, including full resto stuff.

You can build a fast Fox body for so cheap these days it's amazing, and the cars are super easy to work on and respond to mods like nothing else.

Over-hyped, a set of cheap subframe connectors makes all the difference in the world, and the Fox cars had the advantage of being very lightweight, my Mustang only weighs 2600 lbs, and is fully streetable and legal, try that with a new Mustang.

Jackass, what don't you understand? I said it was a good basis to make a great car...why should I worry about adding something to a car to make it stiffer, when it should come from the factory like that for crying out loud? Hell even the SN95 sucked..I couldn't open up the doors on my car when I had it jacked up...

WTF? You have no clue what you're talking about, stick to talking about Ford's sales or something, the mid 80's all theway through 93 cars smoked the Camaro's, my stock 86 regularly thrashed the Camaro's and the vette's back then, in the REAL world, not on the internet or in the magazines.

With a modified Mustang right?

Now please stop being a negatard, this is a Ford site..

Theres a difference between being a negatard like you and point out faults in a car that has had 20 years or so looking back on though rosed colored glasses like you are

Add Mercury to that as well.

No, it is as ugly as everyone says.

That is subjective and I quite prefer the new model over the pervious, as does the people that shop the market. And yes the SYNC is helping all models it is an option on. I imagine that is why Ford offered it on the models with the least volume first with the exception of the Focus. The Focus and SYNC target the same market, so it is obvious why it was offered in it first! I'll bet the F-150 gets a SYNC option last, That being said I will have to wait for my new pick-up till after the redesign, and after the SYNC is available as an option in it! American Idol is currently under way and you can bet that the SYNC commercials are resonating with the public! What a great marketing campaign to show off the "New Ford"!

Edited by Furious1Auto