Ford Motor Company Sales: January 2008

Blue Oval Guide

FORD CROSSOVERS STAYED HOT IN JANUARY

ARTICLE WITH SALES FIGURES

* Ford crossovers pick up where they left off in 2007; Ford Edge sales climbed 95 percent and Lincoln MKX rose 78 percent.

* New Focus bolsters Ford’s share of small car market with 44 percent increase.

* Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales totaled 148,355, down 4 percent.

* Total Ford Motor Company sales (including Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo) totaled 159,914, down 4 percent.

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 1, 2008 – Demand for Ford’s crossovers remained strong in January. Sales for the Ford Edge were 95 percent higher than a year ago and the Lincoln MKX was up 78 percent.

Retail demand for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars also was strong in January, especially for the new Focus. Sales for the Focus were up 44 percent compared with a year ago, with retail sales up 33 percent. Combined retail sales for the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln MKZ also were higher than a year ago.

“We’re very pleased with this result,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s group vice president, Marketing and Communications. “Our dealers really delivered this month, despite a challenging economic and competitive environment.

“It’s not going to get any easier – at least for awhile,” said Farley. “Recent monetary actions and the proposed stimulus package may help the economy later this year, but we’re not pinning our hopes on that. Our plan is based on restructuring our business to be profitable at lower demand and changed mix while also accelerating the development of new products people want to buy.”

The next wave of new Ford products will arrive this summer – the distinctively designed Ford Flex crossover and the elegant Lincoln MKS sedan. A new Ford F-150 pickup truck will debut later in the fall.

Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales totaled 148,355, down 4 percent compared with a year ago.

Total Ford Motor Company sales, including Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo, were 159,914, down 4 percent.

Note: The sales data included in this release and the accompanying tables are based largely on data reported by dealers representing their sales to retail and fleet customers.

• JANUARY 2008 SALES FIGURES

• 1998-CURRENT SALES FIGURES

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting note, which should make comparison easier the rest of the year:

Ford is listing Five Hundred sales from this year and last as Taurus, ditto Freestyle/Taurus X and Montego/Sable.

Glad to see Ford brand only had a 0.7% drop. After all, the success of the rest of the company really rides on the success of the Ford brand itself.

No doubt T Stang and the new T-Stang 2 both will be along very soon to tell us about Land Rover taking the US by storm.

LR3 Sales: 379 down 69% on last year.

Billions spent on Jaguar have been well worth every dollar, still the dead wood won't be on Fords books next year to drag Ford down. Will Jaguar sales be on another boom next month T Stang or will they be zero?

X-Type Sales: 99 down 63% on 2007

S-Type Sale: 113 down 63% on 2007

Ford & Volvo are the star turns. Ford sales look like might be turning the corner already in 2008 not 2009, and against a headwind as well. Superb news for Ford it's remarkable.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Mustang sales are still taking it in the gut..

Taurus sales where up 18% for January...but is that in relation to Ford 500 sales or was the new Taurus on sale this time last year?

Fusion sales are down a bit...not good

Focus sales are up 44%...guess the car isn't as ulgy as the internet made it out to be

Taurus didn't go on sale until June or July. That's again the old Five Hundred. Still an improvement though.

Sable sales are still in the crapper though, though my parents got one in December lol

Its not a bad car...but strangly enough its wider and longer then the Explorer they had!

SYNC seems to be helping.

I wonder how much since you need to order a well-loaded Focus to get Sync in it with the way the packages where set up on it....

Damn, I just checked the Ford website and they are still giving you $1500 bucks in rebates back on the car...hmmm

SYNC seems to be helping.

Retail sales were up on the Fusion, Milan, and MKZ too. And Taurus sales have been good two months in row. Last month, Taurus beat Avalon and Lucerne in sales by good margin and should this month with Jan. being a very slow month for everyone. Taurus X sales are not bad either. Once Town Car sales get back up to 3,000/month or so, Ford sales should be better. Lincoln is really missing Town Car sales as Town Car production started only couple weeks ago. Ford sales would have been down only about 1.5% if they they had 3,000 Town Cars to sell.

For those who keep saying Ford should not sell JLR to Tata, look at Jaguar sales. They are horrible and getting worse. The sooner Ford can get rid of Jaguar the better. Those sales only drag down Ford sales further. Nothing at Jaguar sells, including new XK. Maybe Jaguar does OK in Europe, but not here. Let Tata have the problem.

Retail sales were up on the Fusion, Milan, and MKZ too. And Taurus sales have been good two months in row. Last month, Taurus beat Avalon and Lucerne in sales by good margin and should this month with Jan. being a very slow month for everyone. Taurus X sales are not bad either. Once Town Car sales get back up to 3,000/month or so, Ford sales should be better. Lincoln is really missing Town Car sales as Town Car production started only couple weeks ago. Ford sales would have been down only about 1.5% if they they had 3,000 Town Cars to sell.

For those who keep saying Ford should not sell JLR to Tata, look at Jaguar sales. They are horrible and getting worse. The sooner Ford can get rid of Jaguar the better. Those sales only drag down Ford sales further. Nothing at Jaguar sells, including new XK. Maybe Jaguar does OK in Europe, but not here. Let Tata have the problem.

Sable did not even pass 1,000, wow

Sorry to say Jaguar sales are much the same in the EU, Land Rover are the same. It only Range Rovers that are selling well at moment at that only because of Russian sales, and cheap Russian fuel prices.

With oil money fattening the wallets of Russian car buyers, purchases of imported cars rose by 64 percent to 348,459 during the first 8 months of this year. By the end of the year, foreign brands could account for one third of car purchases in Russia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/13/business...ess/13cars.html

The Mustang was? Thats right DOWN again ladies and gentlemen. What is that seven solid months of decline? Eight? Down big this time. It only just barely beat out the doggon Crown Vic.

The Ranger though? Up 19 percent? No there's no market for these trucks now that gas is high. lol Lets shitcan the Ranger and completely refuse to do any kind of refresh on it. lol

Edge is doing well. Taurus is actually doing better than I expected.

They have to get those Fusion numbers back up somehow.

The Mustang was? Thats right DOWN again ladies and gentlemen. What is that seven solid months of decline? Eight? Down big this time. It only just barely beat out the doggon Crown Vic.

The Ranger though? Up 19 percent? No there's no market for these trucks now that gas is high. lol Lets shitcan the Ranger and completely refuse to do any kind of refresh on it. lol

Edge is doing well. Taurus is actually doing better than I expected.

They have to get those Fusion numbers back up somehow.

4 doors up, two doors down....no-one is spending frivilous $ right now...everyone is scared....a Mustang is a "self indulgence car" 4 doors are more family and functional...may explain the decrease....

4 doors up, two doors down....no-one is spending frivilous $ right now...everyone is scared....a Mustang is a "self indulgence car" 4 doors are more family and functional...may explain the decrease....

Who knows, it could be anything. Personally I think the appeal of the car has just flat died. People aren't into retro anymore which could spell disaster for Camaro and Challenger after a couple years.

They still manage to sell Miata's, and the GM roadsters and Accord coupes and Altima coupes.

A very good point Deanh and most of the the big gas guzzler seem to be having the biggest sales drop with fuel price hikes. Ford Rangers good MPG seems to be giving it a bit of a sales boost at the moment, l hope Alan Mulally takes this on board, there are already lots of folk out there that think we might see $200 a barrel oil by the end of 2008 as the US pulls out of the slowdown.

Add Mercury to that as well.

No, it is as ugly as everyone says.

Nah - its not that ugly. I saw a silver one this past week which was quite nice looking (good colour for it).

Yet - I have as yet to see the 2 door on the street. My dealer had them in stock, but every single new Focus I see on the street is the 4 door.

I wondered why I had seen so many Tauruses lately... good numbers on those. Focuses too.

This reflects that.

I live in Montreal which does not have many large cars and I have seen only two on the road. Both were in my least preferred colour - light sand.

One of the dealers had a black one on display. It was very nice in that colour.

Who knows, it could be anything. Personally I think the appeal of the car has just flat died. People aren't into retro anymore which could spell disaster for Camaro and Challenger after a couple years.

They still manage to sell Miata's, and the GM roadsters and Accord coupes and Altima coupes.

Well, I don't think it's tiring of retro in particular. They are just tiring of the current Mustang. It HAS been out for quite awhile now. I would expect a couple new engines and refreshed exterior/interior should pump the numbers back up quite a bit, even if it's still generally retro. As Dean mentioned also, coupe sales in general are going to take a hit as fewer people are going to be buying "personal" cars. As most other automakers do not break down sales of coupes vs sedans like the Altima or G6, we'll never really know how well they are selling. I'm going to guess the Mustang is still the best-selling coupe in the country though.

Nah - its not that ugly. I saw a silver one this past week which was quite nice looking (good colour for it).

Yet - I have as yet to see the 2 door on the street. My dealer had them in stock, but every single new Focus I see on the street is the 4 door.

I haven't seen a two-door either. Of the Focii, it is clearly the less attractive body. So, I'm not particularly surprised. If people want an inexpensive coupe, the tC and Civic coupes are MUCH better choices from just a style perspective.

I see very few GM roadsters but I have seen a couple of Accord coupes and a few Altima coupes (the Altima coupes have huge tailights. Like a giant Infinity coupe).

Every time I see the new Accord my opinion of it gets worse.

I haven't seen a two-door either. Of the Focii, it is clearly the less attractive body. So, I'm not particularly surprised. If people want an inexpensive coupe, the tC and Civic coupes are MUCH better choices from just a style perspective.

I've seen a couple of coupes. They aren't that easy to spot though, since they generally share the same overall shape as the sedan and ride on the same wheelbase. They don't stand out like the ZX3, that's for sure.