Tundra Scores 4 Stars in Second Test

Mark B. Morrow

"But we're satisfied with the current truck's safety. There's only a minimal difference between a five star and a four star rating, and the Tundra received the highest rating from IIHS recently. Some people think IIHS has a tougher test [than NHTSA]," adds Butto.

Spin spin spin!

I don't understand how it gets the highest rating from the IIHS, but only 4 stars from the NHTSA.

Kinda like how the old f-150 got a 5 star from the gov and a errr 3star from IIHS( to lazy to verify.)

OHHHH it just came to me, toyo probably put more metal in the drivers side frame and components to compensate for the IIHS offset wreck, whereas to compensate for the extra weight they likely reduced the amount on the passenger side or used lower quality steel to reduce cost. I honestly believe that toyo engineered specifically to meet the IIHS and was shooting to just meet the gov rating but do to the many minute variables (calibrations etc) involved in a wreck just missed it in the gov test.

Edited by 01FOCI

I wonder how different the tests are.

Vastly different, the gov test in full frontal, and the IIHS is only the drivers half of the vehicles. Also the barriers differ that they hit. The gov uses a cement wall and the IIHS uses a umm, deformable barrier to mimic another vehicle.

Vastly different, the gov test in full frontal, and the IIHS is only the drivers half of the vehicles. Also the barriers differ that they hit. The gov uses a cement wall and the IIHS uses a umm, deformable barrier to mimic another vehicle.

I see. Another thing I noticed from that article....I wouldn't want to be the passenger in a Tundra....it seemed like in every test, the passenger would have worse injuries in an accident than the driver.

I see. Another thing I noticed from that article....I wouldn't want to be the passenger in a Tundra....it seemed like in every test, the passenger would have worse injuries in an accident than the driver.

I remember back in the early 90's readying how toyo engineered the door of the cramery to shut with a thud instead of the usual japanese tinny sound by increasing the metal in the drivers door etc... But to keep the car the same weight they took it out of the hood! While modern crapanese products appear to preform well in gov static tests real world experience has shown that Fords fair much better in the variety of the wrecks they are in . I would rather have a so called bloated (by some on the board) Edge than a tin can kia or toyo, that weight is coming from somewhere and my guess is its not the carpet. Not that every Ford product is perfect or has been perfect, but have generally overall done better, when it comes to wrecks that involve something other than a front end smash.

I remember back in the early 90's readying how toyo engineered the door of the cramery to shut with a thud instead of the usual japanese tinny sound by increasing the metal in the drivers door etc... But to keep the car the same weight they took it out of the hood! While modern crapanese products appear to preform well in gov static tests real world experience has shown that Fords fair much better in the variety of the wrecks they are in . I would rather have a so called bloated (by some on the board) Edge than a tin can kia or toyo, that weight is coming from somewhere and my guess is its not the carpet. Not that every Ford product is perfect or has been perfect, but have generally overall done better, when it comes to wrecks that involve something other than a front end smash.

Proves my point again... What car would you rather be in in a front end crash? A good for scrap Toyota or Honda or a 1978 Ford LTD? YOU TELL ME...

I'll take the latter... That's why I'm still here typing!

I see Toyota recovering from the bad press around the Tundra last year.

All it takes is some favourable crash tests and a "yes, we've fixed the frame"

and most of the buyers will accept their word without qualification.

The press should be watching them as closeely as they do Ford, GM and Chrysler.

Edited by jpd80

Damn! Some of you cheerleaders are pathetic. This info is from May of last year!! However, thanks for linking me to this video of this death trap right here.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0araA0T_k

Pretty Pitiful the way that thing folded. What is it made of? Foil?? :hysterical::hysterical:

I noticed that all of the other test vehicles (Tundra) used a totally different block. They used a 8 ft wide 5 ft tall wall while the Ford was smashed into a 3 ft. square directed at the drivers front, barely above the bumper. So all the impact was concentrated in a small area on the Ford and spread over the entire front on the Tundra. Way to rig a test for the desired results.

Nice try, turd!