Truck Trend reports 2009 f150 horsepower

chevys

450-hp I believe. And I suppose then, technically the F-150 would be the leader.

Actually, I take that back, the Ram SRT-10 (do they still make that?) would be, with 500-hp (if it's still made).

they cancelled the Ram SRT-10 because nobody was really buying them....thats why if they make another Lightning regular cab....they better not make it more than 40k, i think even that is a little too much for a regular cab

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they cancelled the Ram SRT-10 because nobody was really buying them....thats why if they make another Lightning regular cab....they better not make it more than 40k, i think even that is a little too much for a regular cab

When did that happen? I never saw too many of them, I see one or two occasionally though. I guess the 4 door version didn't help sales much.

When did that happen? I never saw too many of them, I see one or two occasionally though. I guess the 4 door version didn't help sales much.

IIRC i think 07 was its last year, compared to the Lightning.....it was a failure

but it was only intended to be a limited run vehicle

IIRC i think 07 was its last year, compared to the Lightning.....it was a failure

but it was only intended to be a limited run vehicle

I see. I hope they come out with a new Lightning....Ford needs another "excitement" vehicle, although I can understand why they don't want to financially right now.

I just had an idea....what if they debuted the EcoBoost (should be TwinForce for this application) 6.8L? BOSS engine on a new Lightning before it was available in the other models. 625-hp sounds fine for a Lightning.....then hp could be increased with other technologies after the engine spreads through the lineup, or just leave it as is.

I see. I hope they come out with a new Lightning....Ford needs another "excitement" vehicle, although I can understand why they don't want to financially right now.

I just had an idea....what if they debuted the EcoBoost (should be TwinForce for this application) 6.8L? BOSS engine on a new Lightning before it was available in the other models. 625-hp sounds fine for a Lightning.....then hp could be increased with other technologies after the engine spreads through the lineup, or just leave it as is.

i think an EcoBoost(TwinForce) 6.8L would be making more than 625 hp

I don't see why it is asking so damn much to have the engines and the truck done at the same time. I mean really, quite playing games and just get the job done...it's not hard.

You don't see why?

Just how many half ton pickups and powertrains have you designed in your life?

Oh?

Okay then.

The engine will go in when the engine is READY. Hell, what are they supposed to do? Put the engines in there with parts missing? Delay the truck for another year? Those are both idiotic scenarios.

I believe it was blue II or Igor that hinted at a five engine lineup for the F-150:

3.7L DOHC V6 at around 260-270 hp and around 270 lbs of torque with a 4AT (replacement for the 4.2L Essex V6 at 200 hp and 260 lbs of torque)

4.6L 3V V8 at around 295 hp and 315-320 lbs of torque (replaces the 2V 4.6L in the old lineup, which lives on briefly before the base V6 is ready)6AT

3.5-3.7L TT V6 at 350HP and 350 lbs of torque or so with a 6AT

5.4L 3V v8 at ~320 hp and 370 lbs of torque with 6AT (until possibly being replaced at a later date by a downsized BOSS of some nature)

6.2L BOSS SOHC v8 with ~380-400 hp and 400+ lbs of torque. 6AT.

Eventually, the 4.4L Lion Diesel appears. The 5.4L goes away. There was, at one point, plans for a 5.8L V8 version of the BOSS that was optimized for efficiency in a truck application, but, the 3.5L TT may supplant it.

As for the Mustang, which uses similar engines, there was rumored to be a 5.0L evolving of the current MOD v8 series to replace the 4.6L. There was also rumored to be a 5.8L v8 evolution of the BOSS engine for SE applications in the stang, but, I haven't heard jack about that one in a while.

There should be a engine in there for just about everyone. What has most recently been all but confirmed in stone from Ford is that the 2009 F-150, as released, will feature three engines. a 2V 4.6L, a 3V 4.6L and an updated 5.4L 3V. The 2V 4.6L was optimized for efficiency and cost (meaning that it likely doesn't get a power jump over the old one, but may get better mpg). The 3V will be very close to the setup in the Explorer with some minor changes to suit the application. The 5.4L 3V will get a non-trivial power boost. Non-trivial means about a minimum of 5%. 5% over its current numbers of 300/365 are 315 and 380 lbs of torque. I suspect the torque may not get that high, but HP should. So, an expectation of 320 hp and 375 lbs of torque is not unreasonable. That puts it in the territory with the Titan on HP and torque, equal to the GM 5.3L in HP, but with more torque, though still trailing the (somewhat rare)6.0L in both, but at far better efficiency. The HEMI is getting some tweaking, so expect HP numbers from it that put it almost in Toyota 5.7L territory, but keeps it still behind a bit in torque. Their torque numbers will be in the ballpark with everyone (which is most important with the core buyers of trucks), and the 6AT will definitely improve off the line performance and overall efficiency. all-in-all, they are in decent shape on the 2009 if their hints are to be believed.

You don't see why?

Just how many half ton pickups and powertrains have you designed in your life?

Oh?

Okay then.

The engine will go in when the engine is READY. Hell, what are they supposed to do? Put the engines in there with parts missing? Delay the truck for another year? Those are both idiotic scenarios.

One doesn't have had to design anything to see that it is quite reasonable that the WHOLE truck be completed at one time. It is better for Ford and the customer.

One doesn't have had to design anything to see that it is quite reasonable that the WHOLE truck be completed at one time. It is better for Ford and the customer.

Reasonable for whom? Someone who doesn't have a clue how vehicles and powertrains are developed. Would it have been better if the engines were ready when the truck was? Sure. But THEY AREN'T. Period. I'm sure they tried. But what are they going to do instead? Launch with an engine that isn't ready or delay the truck? Those are your only two choices that would make you 'happy'. I say give us the new truck and give us the engine when you know it is ready. I'd rather see SOME improvement to the vehicle NOW than NO improvement until later. This isn't the first time an automaker has done this and it certainly won't be the last.

I still think most of you are missing the point. Toyota has a good truck and is attacking a market segment where they are not yet a major player.

One out of every 7 trucks sold in the USA is sold in Texas and Toyota picked Texas to begin its quest to become a major player or lead the truck market and committed $1.8 billion for a new Tundra assembly plant in Texas.

Yet, posters here somehow think Toyota is not dead serious about wanting to own the full size pick-up truck market and will stop at nothing to get market share.

Going forward, where once there were the big 3 and 10% yearly sales growth, now there are five players in a shrinking market and Toyota has the $$ to buy market share and withstand a truck decline with a pretty large financial cushion coming in part from a net income o $15 billion in the most recent year.

No one expects Ford to roll over and they will be taking their best shot, however Ford is in a war now.

Stay tuned, what happens next will make the Coke/Pepsi cola war on the eighties look like kid stuff.

Reasonable for whom? Someone who doesn't have a clue how vehicles and powertrains are developed. Would it have been better if the engines were ready when the truck was? Sure. But THEY AREN'T. Period. I'm sure they tried. But what are they going to do instead? Launch with an engine that isn't ready or delay the truck? Those are your only two choices that would make you 'happy'. I say give us the new truck and give us the engine when you know it is ready. I'd rather see SOME improvement to the vehicle NOW than NO improvement until later. This isn't the first time an automaker has done this and it certainly won't be the last.

Because there is no reason to buy the half-done model. Why would a person buy a truck now with carry-over engines when they can wait a year and get engines that put out power that is in-line with the competition? Where is the incentive to buy? So I can have my button-filled dash and ricer taillights sooner than Bob down the street? It makes no sense.

Ford is in a war now.

Yes. Because GM's trucks have never had paper advantages over Ford trucks.

Fact is, fullsize trucks were very competitive before Toyota and Nissan came along.

BTW, the yardstick for all of your predictions will remain:

"Brady will not get sacked Sunday"

Until you do better than THAT, your predictions of doom and gloom will shortly be followed by a reference to the only prediction that you have made that has been put to the test.

Because there is no reason to buy the half-done model. Why would a person buy a truck now with carry-over engines when they can wait a year and get engines that put out power that is in-line with the competition? Where is the incentive to buy? So I can have my button-filled dash and ricer taillights sooner than Bob down the street? It makes no sense.

NONE OF THE ENGINES ARE CARRYOVER!!

get that?

oh .. f.. why am I even trying

Igor

Yep, Ford should rush the new engines out fast and in a hurry.....just like toyota did :ohsnap: (literally).

Yes, Ford F'd up by canceling the boss (two times, three?)so now its not ready for a truck that is. With the old Ford you would of had the new boss at launch....then you would of had to bring it back when it failed.

Yes. Because GM's trucks have never had paper advantages over Ford trucks.

Fact is, fullsize trucks were very competitive before Toyota and Nissan came along.

BTW, the yardstick for all of your predictions will remain:

"Brady will not get sacked Sunday"

Until you do better than THAT, your predictions of doom and gloom will shortly be followed by a reference to the only prediction that you have made that has been put to the test.

If you don't think Ford is in a war for their #1 position in the 1/2 ton pickup market, you obviously have never heard of the Camry.

NONE OF THE ENGINES ARE CARRYOVER!!

get that?

oh .. f.. why am I even trying

Igor

You believe that. With the small increase in power we are going to see out of the 5.4, they might as well have been.

But, using :cheerleader: logic, the 4.6 2V was not a carry over engine in the 2004 CVPI...because it got a new MAF and intake plumbing (from the Marauder).

If you don't think Ford is in a war for their #1 position in the 1/2 ton pickup market, you obviously have never heard of the Camry.

Ford has spent the last 60 years in a war for the #1 position in the 1/2 ton pickup market.

This is why you are so ridiculous.

BTW, I have some discount Pats merchandise for you. It says "New England Patriots, Super Bowl XLII Champions".

If you're silly enough to believe that Toyota 'changes the game', you're probably silly enough to buy those hats.

stop with the Camry shit.....the Camry was a success because the rest of the competition was unreliable....but with trucks the Tundra is one of the least reliable

your only argument is the reason why you are wrong.....

yes I have its in the dictionary next to lackluster &, boring ( your words I beleive ) and it has been found to be directly responsible for erectile dysfunction.....

Edited by Deanh

I still think most of you are missing the point. Toyota has a good truck and is attacking a market segment where they are not yet a major player.

One out of every 7 trucks sold in the USA is sold in Texas and Toyota picked Texas to begin its quest to become a major player or lead the truck market and committed $1.8 billion for a new Tundra assembly plant in Texas.

Yet, posters here somehow think Toyota is not dead serious about wanting to own the full size pick-up truck market and will stop at nothing to get market share.

Going forward, where once there were the big 3 and 10% yearly sales growth, now there are five players in a shrinking market and Toyota has the $ to buy market share and withstand a truck decline with a pretty large financial cushion coming in part from a net income o $15 billion in the most recent year.

No one expects Ford to roll over and they will be taking their best shot, however Ford is in a war now.

Stay tuned, what happens next will make the Coke/Pepsi cola war on the eighties look like kid stuff.

You just said Turdyota builds a good truck, when we've given you countless reasons as to why it's a piece of crap.

Ford is battling GM, not a small time player that cant figure out how to build a truck that's tougher than a Camry..