Official: Ford Transit Connect to be sold in U.S.

Hopefully Ford will consider bringing over the standard roof short wheel-base version, if this one takes off.

070103007.jpg

I like that one.

there it gos...little better RMC?

What? I don't understand. Nevermind.

If referring to my HIDEOUS comment....I think it looks ok, it's not supposed to look great, it's just supposed to work, and it does.....I said it's hideous because Ford150 (I believe) said people would come on here and comment on how ugly it was, so I was joking.

Edited by rmc523

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why the delay?

Few reasons: crash testing, emissions testing, and quality control.

Granted the 2.0L is probably the same old same old, still you don't emissions test engines, you emissions test vehicles, which means Ford needs to have factory builds with US emissions equipment.

And don't underestimate the interest Joe Hinrichs et al will have in this roll out.

This is the first Turkish vehicle to be sold in the US, and it is the first FLM imported to the US from outside the NAFTA zone in about 15 years (last one being the Mercury Capri).

It is, in short the test run for the Ford in the picture at the bottom of the page.

Based on Ford's quality gains over the last few years as well as the PSD debacle, I'm sure that Ford wants to make sure they absolutely get this right.

Plus you have all the logistics involved in arranging transport from Turkey to the US (do you ship from Istanbul? Do you freight to an Atlantic port? Where do you receive the vehicles stateside?)

All of this requires time to do properly.

Stupid idea.

Let's see, we'll take a vehicle designed for an entirely different market and bring it to the U.S.A. But first we will need to spend a ton of money to completely re-engineer the damn thing just to meet American safety and emission standards! Not to mention the quality issues of this Turkey (pun) when it is exposed to the neglect, abuse and overloading the average American company does to it's work trucks. Then there is the cost of port-of-entry set up, maybe Norfolk Virginia where Ford just closed their finest truck assembly plant (personal opinion). Not to mention the issues of export from a friendly middle eastern country.

I hope Ford doesn't dare apply the legendary Built Ford Tough slogan to that little front wheel drive Turkey car!

A far better idea would have been to take all the money Ford is about to waste on redesigning and importing that Turkey and engineer an all new (American made) Ranger with a choice of both small pickup and van bodies on the same platform. A small, unibody rear wheel drive, platform with a standard van, extended height van or open pickup bed option would be a far more durable truck for the American market. The rear wheels are where the weight is placed in a vehicle designed to carry cargo after all. Does anyone remember the little front wheel drive truck failures from VW and Chrysler in the late '70s? While we're at it this better idea truck could be equipped with an engine that can actually accelerate the vehicle to 70mph fully loaded while not screaming like a 2-stroke.

edit:

Oh yea, and since every part is made in a foreign country does anyone remember the long delays experienced with all of Ford's previous bastard imports? Merkur, Aspire, the old Courier pickup etc? American car dealers always treat foreign vehicles like this as outsiders. Chevy dealers told Geo/Nova owners to go to Toyota dealers for parts and service, Ford dealers sent Courier buyers packing to a Mazda store. So where are they going to send them for this Turkey?

American companies cannot afford the down time caused by parts and service delays that a vehicle like this Turkey is going to cause.

Edited by F250

Stupid idea.

Let's see, we'll take a vehicle designed for an entirely different market and bring it to the U.S.A.

Gee, the EU has roads, and they even drive on the right, and their cargos sure look a lot like cargos carried in NA.

But first we will need to spend a ton of money to completely re-engineer the damn thing just to meet American safety and emission standards!

No, it doesn't have to be completely re-engineered, as it already complies with EU safety and emissions standards, which are similar to US requirements.

Not to mention the quality issues of this Turkey (pun) when it is exposed to the neglect, abuse and overloading the average American company does to it's work trucks.

AFAIK, there are no quality issues. Turkey has been producing relatively high-tech stuff for a long time. For example, Northern Telecom has been producing equipment in Netas, Turkey for something like 40 years. The point is, Turkey is not some Islamic backwater.

Not to mention the issues of export from a friendly middle eastern country.

Please mention these issues. Actually, Turkey is not regarded as being part of the middle-east. It is Islamic, but it is a secular state, and not a theocracy, and it is not Arabic in its origins. In the street, you will not see veils and burkhas, as they are against the law.

I hope Ford doesn't dare apply the legendary Built Ford Tough slogan to that little front wheel drive Turkey car!

Why not? The "Turkey" is a marketing success story in the EU, and as we have seen from BON members in the UK, the "Turkey" seems to be a winner.

A far better idea would have been to take all the money Ford is about to waste on redesigning and importing that Turkey and engineer an all new (American made) Ranger with a choice of both small pickup and van bodies on the same platform. A small, unibody rear wheel drive, platform with a standard van, extended height van or open pickup bed option would be a far more durable truck for the American market.

Maybe, maybe not. The engineering challenge of trying to produce a unibody RWD sled that is a pickup, standard-height and raised-height van at a price-point might take way too long and be overly compromised in its basics because of this requirement. Maybe building the Ranger replacement that is under development by Ford Oz for pickup use is a more practical solution. The Ranger does the pickup-work, and the "Turkey" delivers the boxes.

The rear wheels are where the weight is placed in a vehicle designed to carry cargo after all. Does anyone remember the little front wheel drive truck failures from VW and Chrysler in the late '70s? While we're at it this better idea truck could be equipped with an engine that can actually accelerate the vehicle to 70mph fully loaded while not screaming like a 2-stroke.

That was then, and this is now, and the "Turkey" is a better vehicle than those predecessors, because the front end is from the current C-1 Focus. You know, the Euro-Focus that everybody wants over here. As to RWD, maybe it's irrelevant for an urban delivery van. Again, the users in the EU like the product.

Oh yea, and since every part is made in a foreign country does anyone remember the long delays experienced with all of Ford's previous bastard imports? Merkur, Aspire, the old Courier pickup etc? American car dealers always treat foreign vehicles like this as outsiders. Chevy dealers told Geo/Nova owners to go to Toyota dealers for parts and service, Ford dealers sent Courier buyers packing to a Mazda store. So where are they going to send them for this Turkey?

To a Ford dealer. It's a different Ford company, and any dealer today that continues the attitude you describe above is so brain-dead, they deserve to go out of business.

American companies cannot afford the down time caused by parts and service delays that a vehicle like this Turkey is going to cause.

Again, you're assuming that Ford can't import Focus parts. But be of good cheer, if the "Turkey" takes off, they'll build it somewhere in NA. :)

Gee, the EU has roads, and they even drive on the right, and their cargos sure look a lot like cargos carried in NA.

No, it doesn't have to be completely re-engineered, as it already complies with EU safety and emissions standards, which are similar to US requirements.

AFAIK, there are no quality issues. Turkey has been producing relatively high-tech stuff for a long time. For example, Northern Telecom has been producing equipment in Netas, Turkey for something like 40 years. The point is, Turkey is not some Islamic backwater.

Please mention these issues. Actually, Turkey is not regarded as being part of the middle-east. It is Islamic, but it is a secular state, and not a theocracy, and it is not Arabic in its origins. In the street, you will not see veils and burkhas, as they are against the law.

Why not? The "Turkey" is a marketing success story in the EU, and as we have seen from BON members in the UK, the "Turkey" seems to be a winner.

Maybe, maybe not. The engineering challenge of trying to produce a unibody RWD sled that is a pickup, standard-height and raised-height van at a price-point might take way too long and be overly compromised in its basics because of this requirement. Maybe building the Ranger replacement that is under development by Ford Oz for pickup use is a more practical solution. The Ranger does the pickup-work, and the "Turkey" delivers the boxes.

That was then, and this is now, and the "Turkey" is a better vehicle than those predecessors, because the front end is from the current C-1 Focus. You know, the Euro-Focus that everybody wants over here. As to RWD, maybe it's irrelevant for an urban delivery van. Again, the users in the EU like the product.

To a Ford dealer. It's a different Ford company, and any dealer today that continues the attitude you describe above is so brain-dead, they deserve to go out of business.

Again, you're assuming that Ford can't import Focus parts. But be of good cheer, if the "Turkey" takes off, they'll build it somewhere in NA. :)

Especially the last part. If it takes off, we should expect the next Focus to be US built. And should this little van be a seller in the marketplace, we should expect the new Focus to have a van based on it and the US operations could theoretically be able to build it along with the new Focus. Yeah!

If Martha bought it, she would say that's a good thing.

EU has been building these little vans for quite some time. And they are tougher than nails. Delivery drivers in Europe run the begeezus out of their little vans. I think these box haulers will be just fine here.

I'm not assuming anything. What I stated was history. Fact. And a Ford dealer orders parts from Ford Motor Company so who is to blame when Ford fails to get those parts to the dealer? Hint: it aint the dealer.

This crap is nothing new. Ford and other American manufacturers have tried this same thing, bringing cars designed for foreign markets here, many times and it never lasts. Do you remember the Merkur failure that Ford spent a ton of money on? The XR4TI and Scorpio were two of Ford's most sucessful European vehicles and everyone in America said "bring them here" Well Ford did and they flopped. Hell Ford even went to the trouble of using the more high tech turbo-4 cyl engine instead if the standard 2.9v6 in the xr4ti and it didn't matter. They were the cars everyone asked for but nobody bought. The most successful run was the 1970's Mercury Capri I think it got one minor update and ran about 8 or 9 years before death. Remember the failure of the Contour/Mystique foreign designed Fords that were built here? Based on the Euro Mondeo they were successful...but not in America.

Even Ford haters agree if it's one thing Ford North America knows how to design and build it's trucks, so why bring in this Turkey car?

Edited by F250

Well if you are wondering where this product will come from, you should first ask what product will leave to make room for the production of this fine eurovan.

My guess is that the Econoline is now a dying breed, laughable you think?

That's what I thought too!

Especially when you consider trying to put a snow plow on the front of one of these things!

HA that would be a site.

my question is how many plumbers, armored car companies, and motorhome coach builders are going to make the switch?

lets kill our third best selling vehicle and replace it with some euro-unibody-trashcompacted-vanwannabe!

NOW THAT's INNOVATION, and BOLD too!

BOLDly stupid, whats next stop making th F-150?

Well if you are wondering where this product will come from, you should first ask what product will leave to make room for the production of this fine eurovan.

My guess is that the Econoline is now a dying breed, laughable you think?

That's what I thought too!

Especially when you consider trying to put a snow plow on the front of one of these things!

HA that would be a site.

my question is how many plumbers, armored car companies, and motorhome coach builders are going to make the switch?

lets kill our third best selling vehicle and replace it with some euro-unibody-trashcompacted-vanwannabe!

NOW THAT's INNOVATION, and BOLD too!

BOLDly stupid, whats next stop making th F-150?

It isn't a replacement for the Econoline. It will compete with the Chevy HHR Panel and the PT Cruiser Panel. The jobs will be light hauling like florists, small package delivery and the like. it would also appear to be a good starting point for handicapped accessable transport. These jobs don't need anything as large as an E-Series and the fuel economy will be a big selling point.

No one will use this for heavy duty work like plumbing service, armored cars, motorhomes or plowing snow. Nothing is going to leave the Ford line-up to make room for this van. To even suggest that this will replace the Econoline is just stupid!

If Ford wants a light duty FWD work van then build a raised roof, sliding side door Escape or Taurus-X. That way commercial customers will actually be able to get a part for the thing when needed without having to wait 3-weeks for the slow boat from Turkey. American service techs will already be familiar with the platform and powertrain and it will impove the sales stats of those vehicles and keep jobs in North America.

Edited by F250

Ok, if Ford wants a light duty FWD work van then build a raised roof, sliding side door Escape or Taurus-X. That way commercial customers will actually be able to get a part for the thing when needed without having to wait 3-weeks for the slow boat from Turkey. American service techs will already be familiar with the platform and powertrain and it will impove the sales stats of those vehicles and keep jobs in North America.

You are right Ford should open up another production line in the US if sales on the Transit hit 20,000 once it get established. Why ship it all that way it just does not make common sense not to. But if it flops in the US maybe Ford might not have lost anything, maybe thats what Ford are doing already testing the market?

Actually I have an even better idea.

The tried and true, tough little Ranger with a larger engine already beats the hell out of that Turkey car's fuel economy (4-cyl Ranger gets 21/26mpg) the Transit only gets 19/24mpg. And the Ranger is a full frame rear wheel drive truck!

So just build a high top van body for the ranger platform and buyers will actually be getting a far more durable, capable and more fuel efficent vehicle with an available 4wd option.

Edited by F250

Actually I have an even better idea.

The tried and true, tough little Ranger with a larger engine already beats the hell out of that Turkey car's fuel economy (4-cyl Ranger gets 21/26mpg) the Transit only gets 19/24mpg. And the Ranger is a full frame rear wheel drive truck!

So just build a high top van body for the ranger platform and buyers will actually be getting a far more durable, capable and more fuel efficent vehicle with an available 4wd option.

The costs of building a new body for the Ranger and refitting a plant to build it would be prohibitively expensive for a low production vehicle. If the Transit catches on and there is a market, It may make sense to duplicate a production line in the US. As far as parts availability goes, It shouldn't be a problem. They have been making the Transit Connect and a parts stock exists. I believe that Ford will have a sufficient parts stock in the US to account for expected collisions and service needs. I expect that Toyota, Honda and Nissan did the same when introducin the Yaris, Fit and Versa all of which are imported.

The costs of building a new body for the Ranger and refitting a plant to build it would be prohibitively expensive for a low production vehicle. If the Transit catches on and there is a market, It may make sense to duplicate a production line in the US. As far as parts availability goes, It shouldn't be a problem. They have been making the Transit Connect and a parts stock exists. I believe that Ford will have a sufficient parts stock in the US to account for expected collisions and service needs. I expect that Toyota, Honda and Nissan did the same when introducin the Yaris, Fit and Versa all of which are imported.

From their beginning those foreign companies were set up to import everything, only reciently have they been sourcing parts in this country. The fact is every time Ford has tried this in the past the result has been a disaster.

So for a low production vehicle it will be economical to set up an entire port-of-entry system... just for 1 car. While Ford sits on excess, unutilized production capacity here in it's American plants. Ford is buying out workers and closing plants here in America while importing this car (I will not call it a truck) Or is this the beginning of the end of more American's jobs.

The Ranger would not have nearly as much cargo space, and would most likely get lower gas mileage in a van form.

How do you know the cargo space on a vehicle that I just suggested minutes ago and does not exist?

I'll bet you would also ASSUME a front wheel drive unibody car-based micro van with a 2.0L engine would get a lot better gas mileage than an ancient, full framed, rear wheel drive truck...but you would be wrong.

About bloddy time they got this thing here.

There is amassive gap right now for a Light comerical van. Who offers one ?

Since the demise of the safari. No one.

These will be snapped up at an alarming rate.

Ford has finally nailed something bang on first try.

About fricken time.

It will be used by trades poeple, by any number of buisnesses as a delivery van. Thetyshould offer them with full seating as well. As I see a market as taxi cab. There may even be a small retail market. This may be one of the best Vehicles Ford has realesed in NA in long time. Stuff a clean diesel in it and your really going to clean up.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

How do you know the cargo space on a vehicle that I just suggested minutes ago and does not exist?

I'll bet you would also ASSUME a front wheel drive unibody car-based micro van with a 2.0L engine would get a lot better gas mileage than an ancient, full framed, rear wheel drive truck...but you would be wrong.

And you know he is wrong because ...

He is likely to be correct about the cargo space because it is a front wheel drive, which allows a lower rear floor.

About bloddy time they got this thing here.

There is amassive gap right now for a Light comerical van. Who offers one ?

Since the demise of the safari. No one.

These will be snapped up at an alarming rate.

I hope you are correct, but Americans are slow to change their habits.

Ford should give some big discounts to large fleets, just so that people see these on the road and start thinking of them as a viable option.

They are quirky and cute enough to steal some sale from the Honda Element if marketed correctly. It would be difficult because the Element has one of the most loyal customer bases around. Element customers already TRUST Honda.

And you know he is wrong because ...

He is likely to be correct about the cargo space because it is a front wheel drive, which allows a lower rear floor.

The Transit is just an underpowered, low-tech, straight rear axle minivan with an extended height roof. Big deal.

If you think front wheel drive is so great in a work/cargo vehicle (I don't) then build a high top commercial version of the Flex.

The old rear wheel drive Aerostar minivans were far more popular and capable commercial vehicles than their front wheel drive Windstar replacements.

Ford should give some big discounts to large fleets, just so that people see these on the road and start thinking of them as a viable option.

Oh I'm sure those discounts will be large...but not for your reason.

I thought Ford quit losing money by giving away vehicles to fleets.

Just what Ford doesn't need is a vehicle of unknown durability and very questionable fixed operation support making it's way into their long time truck fleet customer's hands. Let's screw up the one thing Ford has always had an outstanding reputation with, commercial truck customers.

edit: I very seriously doubt Honda Element kids would be interrested in this Turkey car.

Edited by F250

Oh I'm sure those discounts will be large...but not for your reason.

I thought Ford quit losing money by giving away vehicles to fleets.

Nice to see idiots haven't left the building yet...he's talking about fleet sales to Goverments, businesses, etc...not rental car fleets which Ford is getting away from.

Just what Ford doesn't need is a vehicle of unknown durability and very questionable fixed operation support making it's way into their long time truck fleet customer's hands. Let's screw up the one thing Ford has always had an outstanding reputation with, commercial truck customers.

The Transit Connect has been in production in Europe for years now, all the bugs have been worked out of it...

edit: I very seriously doubt Honda Element kids would be interrested in this Turkey car.

Most of the "kids" that drive Elements are 50-60 yrs old Hippies, the Transit connect is going to be focus mostly on contractor and Gov/Business Fleets, not personal usage