Dealership realignments...

twintornados

It would seem that Ford wants it's dealerships to realign to become Ford/Lincoln with Mercury being tucked away somewhere....I have a better idea (hey, I have heard that line before...lol)

Continue with the Ford/Lincoln idea for dealer formatting, then offer up Mercury to ALL existing Mazda dealerships as their "upscale" brand. Where you have a Ford/Mazda dealership, simply replace the Ford end of that dealership with Mercury.

If Ford plans on keeping Volvo, market that as a "stand alone" type mini-dealership within either the Ford/Lincoln dealer or Mazda/Mercury dealer.

Thoughts??

Edited by twintornados

It would seem that Ford wants it's dealerships to realign to become Ford/Lincoln with Mercury being tucked away somewhere....I have a better idea (hey, I have heard that line before...lol)

Continue with the Ford/Lincoln idea for dealer formatting, then offer up Mercury to ALL existing Mazda dealerships as their "upscale" brand. Where you have a Ford/Mazda dealership, simply replace the Ford end of that dealership with Mercury.

If Ford plans on keeping Volvo, market that as a "stand alone" type mini-dealership within either the Ford/Lincoln dealer or Mazda/Mercury dealer.

Thoughts??

That's not a bad idea. At the least they should sell some dealerships to Mazda. Mazda needs to grow, while FLM needs to downsize

The more I think of it, the more it makes sense....I mean really, why buy the Milan Premier when it is sitting next to the Fusion SEL....and they look damn near identical. Now, park that Milan next to a Mazda6 and there is enough difference between the two to justify them both. Same goes for that Fusion SEL when sitting next to the MKZ....loads of differences that you can see and feel.

I can tell you as a Ford Lincoln Mercury Dealer...it won't happen without big money and Ford doesn't have big money. There is a Mazda/BMW down the street and I'll be damned if I let 100 new vehicle sales (plus trades and maintenance) walk out the door. Mercury may look DOA today, but a lot can change in the next few years. Once Ford gets a few bucks in it's pocket, Mercury could be a whole new ball game.

New car sales are dropping. I'm having to really pump up other parts of the business (used, service and Body shop) to make it work. This isn't the easiest time to be in the car business. However, if there was a time for an economic slowdown it's best to happen while Ford is reinventing itself. If Ford had all new product we'd still be hurting because economy is trumping new models right now. Next year when Ford is really bring out the new metal, the economy should be revving back up and all cylinders should be hitting. Like Mullaly said..the ride up is a whole lot more fun than the ride down. I figure 08 will be a tough year like 07. I have high hopes for 09.

Thoughts??

That's not a bad idea. At the least they should sell some dealerships to Mazda. Mazda needs to grow, while FLM needs to downsize

The more I think of it, the more it makes sense....I mean really, why buy the Milan Premier when it is sitting next to the Fusion SEL....and they look damn near identical. Now, park that Milan next to a Mazda6 and there is enough difference between the two to justify them both. Same goes for that Fusion SEL when sitting next to the MKZ....loads of differences that you can see and feel.

I think that'd be a good Idea.

Sync is great. Once it is properly demonstarted it sells itself. We have made easy sales after presenting it. People hell bent on buying their leased vehicles jump into a new lease after seeing Sync in action. Vehicles without Sync are a harder sell than vehicles with it. It's pretty much a mandatory option.

New car sales are dropping. I'm having to really pump up other parts of the business (used, service and Body shop) to make it work. This isn't the easiest time to be in the car business. However, if there was a time for an economic slowdown it's best to happen while Ford is reinventing itself. If Ford had all new product we'd still be hurting because economy is trumping new models right now. Next year when Ford is really bring out the new metal, the economy should be revving back up and all cylinders should be hitting. Like Mullaly said..the ride up is a whole lot more fun than the ride down. I figure 08 will be a tough year like 07. I have high hopes for 09.

It looks to me if Toyota Sony type car world domination wannabees will use the old Indian commanche trick of divide and conquer with the big 3, whist the US government oblivious to all that's going on around them will continue with these sort of handouts. Don't you qualify for any help?

Detroit's automakers didn't get much help from the federal government when they visited the White House, but that hasn't stopped a pair of LA-area car dealerships from receiving federal funding. Longo Toyota – "the World's Largest Dealership" – and Longo Lexus – "the #1 Lexus dealer in the Western US", received a half-million-dollar grant from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development in order to expand their facilities and create new jobs. The HUD funding is only part of the $3,000,000 the Penske-owned dealerships

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/31/penske-...-2-dealerships/

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Instead of worrying about having too many dealerships, shouldn't car manufacturers be more concerned on building quality vehicles that people actually want to buy and that are affordable? Paying top executives outrageous salaries to screw things up, then to have them come up with hair brain ideas to justify their position seems to be the norm for corporate America these days. If manufacturers would listen and build what people want, instead of what they think the public wants, won't they need more dealers to meet demand?

Find the true problem and fix it, quit putting patches on minor scrapes when there are more serious problems at hand.

Instead of worrying about having too many dealerships, shouldn't car manufacturers be more concerned on building quality vehicles that people actually want to buy and that are affordable? Paying top executives outrageous salaries to screw things up, then to have them come up with hair brain ideas to justify their position seems to be the norm for corporate America these days. If manufacturers would listen and build what people want, instead of what they think the public wants, won't they need more dealers to meet demand?

Find the true problem and fix it, quit putting patches on minor scrapes when there are more serious problems at hand.

So th new lineup of hott crossovers, a b car, very good midsize car, and awakening Luxury brand aren't good enough? How about we let the high paid executive that have a track record of fixing things do their job. They, unlike you, realize that they must use more than one approach to fix the company.

So th new lineup of hott crossovers, a b car, very good midsize car, and awakening Luxury brand aren't good enough? How about we let the high paid executive that have a track record of fixing things do their job. They, unlike you, realize that they must use more than one approach to fix the company.

I have gotta say l'm bored shitless with what Ford are selling in the UK at the moment, you don't how lucky you are at least you have more choice in the US. I want to buy new a new Ford but there is is nothing Ford sell here appeals to me in the slightest, it never used to be like this in the past. Ford used build what the customer wanted in the past, l have gotta say l liked every single thing they sold. British Leyland were wiped off the map when Ford used the concept "Build cars that the customer want's to buy". Bland and boring Mondeo's are not my cup of tea, they might be Fords idea of a wonderful car.

It looks to me if Toyota Sony type car world domination wannabees will use the old Indian commanche trick of divide and conquer with the big 3, whist the US government oblivious to all that's going on around them will continue with these sort of handouts. Don't you qualify for any help?

Detroit's automakers didn't get much help from the federal government when they visited the White House, but that hasn't stopped a pair of LA-area car dealerships from receiving federal funding. Longo Toyota – "the World's Largest Dealership" – and Longo Lexus – "the #1 Lexus dealer in the Western US", received a half-million-dollar grant from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development in order to expand their facilities and create new jobs. The HUD funding is only part of the $3,000,000 the Penske-owned dealerships

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/31/penske-...-2-dealerships/

It seems like its easy for Toyota to get grants, not only to build factories for new low-paying jobs, but dealerships getting them?? I guess they feel bad for poor little Penske

Edited by kevinb120

If the high paid executive will fix the problem, great! BUT, where were these guys before? Why didn't they see the crisis facing the auto industry before it was right in their face? When it comes to track records, what's the verdict on Chrysler's leadership? If Nardelli did such a great job at Home Depot, why isn't he still there fixing all their ailments? Why did Ford let the Ranger linger on with the same basic body style since around 1993, then complain about lagging sales? Why can't we have light duty diesel trucks that get good mileage? Yes, I know that the changing standards for refining diesel played a part, but it didn't seem to be a problem for 3/4 ton and larger trucks. As for crossovers, it'll be like everything else and in a few years the interest will die down when a new craze starts. Look at the PT Cruiser, it was a hot item everyone wanted when it was first introduced, now it's dead meat.

The new F150 may be reskinned for 2009 but it's still overweight and under powered, even though powertrain (engine & transmission) improvements are another year away. I find it interesting that the car makers could design new models more frequently when they still used slide rules. Now that computers do a lot of the design work, the design is warmed over year after year to recoup the initial investment and to try to maximize profit but that can be a catch 22 because if the design is too stale, people will look elsewhere.

With the closing of dealerships, it means people will have to drive farther to purchase a vehicle, which they actually may not mind initially, but what happens when you have to make that drive to have your vehicle serviced or repaired? That extra time and money spent traveling those extra miles may not be so appealing and may make another brand that happens to be closer not look so bad, which just means the possibility of a lost sale.

Time will tell if these high paid execs are worth what they're being paid!

If the high paid executive will fix the problem, great! BUT, where were these guys before? Why didn't they see the crisis facing the auto industry before it was right in their face? When it comes to track records, what's the verdict on Chrysler's leadership? If Nardelli did such a great job at Home Depot, why isn't he still there fixing all their ailments? Why did Ford let the Ranger linger on with the same basic body style since around 1993, then complain about lagging sales? Why can't we have light duty diesel trucks that get good mileage? Yes, I know that the changing standards for refining diesel played a part, but it didn't seem to be a problem for 3/4 ton and larger trucks. As for crossovers, it'll be like everything else and in a few years the interest will die down when a new craze starts. Look at the PT Cruiser, it was a hot item everyone wanted when it was first introduced, now it's dead meat.

The new F150 may be reskinned for 2009 but it's still overweight and under powered, even though powertrain (engine & transmission) improvements are another year away. I find it interesting that the car makers could design new models more frequently when they still used slide rules. Now that computers do a lot of the design work, the design is warmed over year after year to recoup the initial investment and to try to maximize profit but that can be a catch 22 because if the design is too stale, people will look elsewhere.

With the closing of dealerships, it means people will have to drive farther to purchase a vehicle, which they actually may not mind initially, but what happens when you have to make that drive to have your vehicle serviced or repaired? That extra time and money spent traveling those extra miles may not be so appealing and may make another brand that happens to be closer not look so bad, which just means the possibility of a lost sale.

Time will tell if these high paid execs are worth what they're being paid!

First, the new executives did not cause this problem and Mulally has a very good track record. Second, the F150 is a very good truck that was improved even more. It is not underpowered and the weight is a consequence of having such strong frame and structure. Third, instead of complaining about the executives, why don't you look at the progress that has been made so far? Losses are narrowing, cash on hand is steady, and the model line is getting better. Things are getting better at Ford. You don't have to look very hard to see it.

First, the new executives did not cause this problem and Mulally has a very good track record. Second, the F150 is a very good truck that was improved even more. It is not underpowered and the weight is a consequence of having such strong frame and structure. Third, instead of complaining about the executives, why don't you look at the progress that has been made so far? Losses are narrowing, cash on hand is steady, and the model line is getting better. Things are getting better at Ford. You don't have to look very hard to see it.

I don't disagree that Mulally has a very good record, both at Boeing and with the hard decisions he's made at Ford, but please understand I'm not taking the narrow approach and talking about just Ford. The very top guys in their respective companies may be new but what about all those other high ranking officials that part of the problem?

FWIW - I have a 2004 FX4 Scab with the 5.4 and had a 2002 Ranger before that. Both have worked great for my needs, but as for the F150 being underpowered, it is a little weak when compared to the competition these days that are well above the 300hp 5.4. I'm not privy to all the inside information on Ford like you, so I have to settle for the gloom and doom reports I read on the Internet and newspapers.

Perhaps while you're dispensing such knowledge, could you explain why a simple 1/2 ton pickup needs to haul/pull as much as a 3/4 ton did years ago? Surely there's a market for something in between the Ranger and the F150, but then again, I've been left in the dark.

You still haven't shed light on the title of this thread on why so many dealers are being cut. Granted there are bad apples in any batch, but I've seen the dealer reduction in the farm industry where dealers either have to grow and have multiple locations to cover a territory, or else they die. Basically this reduces competition and you can rest assured the bargains we like to find will be harder to find.

I don't disagree that Mulally has a very good record, both at Boeing and with the hard decisions he's made at Ford, but please understand I'm not taking the narrow approach and talking about just Ford. The very top guys in their respective companies may be new but what about all those other high ranking officials that part of the problem?

FWIW - I have a 2004 FX4 Scab with the 5.4 and had a 2002 Ranger before that. Both have worked great for my needs, but as for the F150 being underpowered, it is a little weak when compared to the competition these days that are well above the 300hp 5.4. I'm not privy to all the inside information on Ford like you, so I have to settle for the gloom and doom reports I read on the Internet and newspapers.

Perhaps while you're dispensing such knowledge, could you explain why a simple 1/2 ton pickup needs to haul/pull as much as a 3/4 ton did years ago? Surely there's a market for something in between the Ranger and the F150, but then again, I've been left in the dark.

You still haven't shed light on the title of this thread on why so many dealers are being cut. Granted there are bad apples in any batch, but I've seen the dealer reduction in the farm industry where dealers either have to grow and have multiple locations to cover a territory, or else they die. Basically this reduces competition and you can rest assured the bargains we like to find will be harder to find.

I'm no insider. I have not read really anything bad about the F150. Remember that Ford has always been down on power when it comes to trucks and it hasn't hurt them yet. Within a year we will have some very good powertrains. Add to that the 6 speed autos and the new features and you have a winner. Truck customers demand capacity, they don't demand race cars. If they did people would rarely have bought Fords.

The small truck market is shrinking. Ford will put the money where it is needed. if it is needed there, then it will go there. If not, it will go/have gone somewhere else.

As for why dealers are being cut. Ford had too many to start with an they are selling less vehicles now than before. The market is also currently shrinking. Having fewer dealers leads to dealers that make more money and are more attractive. They also seem busier and become places were people want to spend their money. there are reasons for all things that are going on.

Edited by suv_guy_19

I have gotta say l'm bored shitless with what Ford are selling in the UK at the moment, you don't how lucky you are at least you have more choice in the US. I want to buy new a new Ford but there is is nothing Ford sell here appeals to me in the slightest, it never used to be like this in the past. Ford used build what the customer wanted in the past, l have gotta say l liked every single thing they sold. British Leyland were wiped off the map when Ford used the concept "Build cars that the customer want's to buy". Bland and boring Mondeo's are not my cup of tea, they might be Fords idea of a wonderful car.

good to hear actual opinion from someone in Europe. Over here, Europhiles simply assume anything Ford makes/sells over there is 'vastly superior' and must be brought over! Yes, the Mondeo is overrated, and it would bomb here just as it is doing there. :finger:

Edited by 630land