Is Mercury Done?

Well said .

oh by the way is it true the Mercury Mountaineer will be discontinued in a couple of years ? I've always preferred the Mountaineer over the current Explorer .

main_ext_12.jpg

long live Mercury long live .

I do not know, I hope it would survive, Of course the Moutaineer is superior to the explorer. I cant think of a Mercury that isnt better than its ford counterparts. lol. (im serous)

Edited by saintlaz1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know, I hope it would survive, Of course the Moutaineer is superior to the explorer. I cant think of a Mercury that isnt better than its ford counterparts. lol. (im serous)

Yeah, the Mercuries do seem to look a little better than the Ford counterparts. Although, the Sable needs the side vents that the Taurus has.

... Of course the Moutaineer is superior to the explorer. I cant think of a Mercury that isnt better than its ford counterparts. lol. (im serous)

And if FMC wants to keep Mercury alive and profitable, then that is exactly what FMC needs to exploit. As I mentioned, FMC needs to eliminate all the "Limited" versions of its Ford division vehicles, and instead, nudge buyers who are looking for the more upscale versions, over to the Mercury showroom. FMC makes a profit regardless if the buyer buys a Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln. So, FMC needs to stop completing with it self (and start completing with GM, Toyota, Honda, etc).

And if FMC wants to keep Mercury alive and profitable, then that is exactly what FMC needs to exploit. As I mentioned, FMC needs to eliminate all the "Limited" versions of its Ford division vehicles, and instead, nudge buyers who are looking for the more upscale versions, over to the Mercury showroom. FMC makes a profit regardless if the buyer buys a Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln. So, FMC needs to stop completing with it self (and start completing with GM, Toyota, Honda, etc).

Couldnt agree more, but they want thier name to stand for everything including the luxury that Mercury brought. They need to just give the brand a new identity, they cant be that luxurious anymore cause they want Lincoln for that, that cant be cheap cause thats what Ford is for. What they need to do is just make it a combo of a sports/Lux brand with a cougar, have the milan be more sporty looking, the sable a high performance full size sedan, The moutaineer is fine as is just needs an update and bring in a compact sports car like the capri was.

Just an idea, sure it wont happen. Like I said before if ford kills mercury all I want them to do is just one final run on the cougar based on the mustang, it wont cost much money to do so at least it can go out with a bang.

I'd really miss Mercury. My first new car was a 82 Capri. And I've been looking at the Milan. I had a 69 Cougar. And I still have a 72 Montego! And I DO think Mercury still stands for something: a fashionable more elegant alternative to the regular Fords.

DSC00007.jpg

... , they cant be that luxurious anymore cause they want Lincoln for that, ...

I am not so sure about that. If FMC made a "lux" version of the Focus, for example, IMHO it would be more appropriate for it to wear a Mercury badge than a Lincoln badge. Such a car could be targeted for the commuting exec, who wants 35+mpg with super soft leather, butt warmers, NAV/traffic, SYNC III, and adaptive cruise control.

I could also see Mercury with a "lux" version of the Mustang. Call it Capri or Cougar, I don't really care.

I am not so sure about that. If FMC made a "lux" version of the Focus, for example, IMHO it would be more appropriate for it to wear a Mercury badge than a Lincoln badge. Such a car could be targeted for the commuting exec, who wants 35+mpg with super soft leather, butt warmers, NAV/traffic, SYNC III, and adaptive cruise control.

I could also see Mercury with a "lux" version of the Mustang. Call it Capri or Cougar, I don't really care.

I would any rebadge of a mustang needs to be a cougar.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I gotta tell you, I would consider a Milan as a small fuel efficient "go-to-work" car, but I don't know if I could say the same for the Fusion. I just do not like the three bar grille. Mercury does in fact apeal to another audience, and has been said, it cost nothing to turn a Ford into a Mercury, and you are not saddled with asking your "luxury" lots to sell your basic vehicle.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

IT'S ALREADY BEEN ANNOUNCED THAT MERCURY IS GETTING AN ALL-NEW VEHICLE IN 2010.

YA'LL ARE MISSING OUT ON THE LATEST NEWS... C'MON GUYS...

Well where is the URL with that information?

I would bet that when 2010 rolls along that won't happen because the $$ are not there to do so.

Ford must trim its size down to a smaller / leaner car company !!! And thats why I see no room for Mercury, its a USA brand that is fading away from the newer generation. So why not let it die off an focus on Ford & Lincoln?

Make a 2010 Cougar but make it as the 2010 Lincoln Cougar?

Well where is the URL with that information?

I would bet that when 2010 rolls along that won't happen because the $$ are not there to do so.

Ford must trim its size down to a smaller / leaner car company !!! And thats why I see no room for Mercury, its a USA brand that is fading away from the newer generation. So why not let it die off an focus on Ford & Lincoln?

Make a 2010 Cougar but make it as the 2010 Lincoln Cougar?

I dont think Americans would accept a Lincoln or Ford Cougar branding. You shouldnt mess with Heritage.

Mercury fills the gap between Ford and Lincoln. For Ford to kill Mercury would be like Chevelet killing off Buick. There are people out there that want more luxury than what the Ford models but get sticker shock from the the hefty price tag of the Lincolns.

What do you want these buyers to do? Walk away? You also have to consider that over 60% of Milan and Mariner buyers are conquest sales. http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=23097

If you think they would buy a Ford after shuddering Merc, think again.

It costs $0 to sell Mercury on Lincoln lots. If you killed Mercury, you not only lose the conquest sales, you also have less buyers walking onto Lincoln lots, thus you risk losing both brands.

Mercury fills the gap between Ford and Lincoln. For Ford to kill Mercury would be like Chevelet killing off Buick. There are people out there that want more luxury than what the Ford models but get sticker shock from the the hefty price tag of the Lincolns.

What do you want these buyers to do? Walk away? You also have to consider that over 60% of Milan and Mariner buyers are conquest sales. http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=23097

If you think they would buy a Ford after shuddering Merc, think again.

It costs $0 to sell Mercury on Lincoln lots. If you killed Mercury, you not only lose the conquest sales, you also have less buyers walking onto Lincoln lots, thus you risk losing both brands.

Well no big loss if GM dumped Buick and no big loss if Ford Dumped Mercury and worked on Ford and Lincoln cars with better high end Fords to fill in that gap. You say it cost $0 to sell a Mercury !!!

Nothing cost $0 and it cost a lot to carry a brand that is not selling well as it is. I think the Millan is a nice looking car and could be renamed to the Ford Focus and dump the ugly one they have now. And no big loss if Mariner also went away. The problem you guys do not understand who want to keep Mercury around is Ford is short on $ that's cash to keep all the platforms going. So I guess you have to ask which models you want to keep and which ones have to go.

Keep Ford,Lincoln,Volvo & Mazda

Dump Mercury

:finger:

Edited by grimesdr

Well no big loss if GM dumped Buick and no big loss if Ford Dumped Mercury and worked on Ford and Lincoln cars with better high end Fords to fill in that gap. You say it cost $0 to sell a Mercury !!!

Nothing cost $0 and it cost a lot to carry a brand that is not selling well as it is. I think the Millan is a nice looking car and could be renamed to the Ford Focus and dump the ugly one they have now. And no big loss if Mariner also went away. The problem you guys do not understand who want to keep Mercury around is Ford is short on $ that's cash to keep all the platforms going. So I guess you have to ask which models you want to keep and which ones have to go.

Keep Ford,Lincoln,Volvo & Mazda

Dump Mercury

:finger:

What are you talking about? a mercury is pure profit for ford, its minimal the cost to order different badges and lights. they make it up in the sell of the car that is higher than a regular ford. dumping mercury would make no sense.

also they are all in the same platform so there is no extra cost there.

There are new Mercury Dealers being added to the Ford network. One was just opened in Arlington Texas. Another is scheduled in the East Dallas area also. So the kill the Mercury chant can take a hike, they wouldn't be selling franchises to only have to buy them back. Too expensive. Talk about not having the money...D'oh! Read the facts, they are what they are. And Mercury is here to stay for at least another decade, probably longer.