Is Mercury Done?

LM -- Wasn't that Buick circa 2001 ?

Buick sold more cars in the 90s as the great American road car than they do now.

Which US make has increased market share apeing the Japanese or Germans? Some of us prefer a softer ride, softer seats and some chrome trim.

Edited by LM4EVR

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I do not post much but needed to give my .02 cents on this subject. As Ford goes so does Mercury, in other words if you sell enough Fords the Mercury's will follow. If you sell enough Fords there wiill always be people that want something different, so gove them an upper level Ford with unique trim, interiors and options and as long as there is enough Fords out there enough people will go to mercury just to be different. Lincoln however needs different bodies and unique engine sizes. So concentrating on Ford and Lincoln is the right strategy, get Fords sales way up and then make the nicer Mercury"s and they will sell. Yes I do own a Mercury - 1969 Marquis Convertible with a 429!

I find it hard to comprehend how Mercury is costing Ford anything in the way of resources or engineering. Seriously, the idea of ending the brand built on different styling ques built on an expectation that buyers would then simply come back to Ford badged products is misguided. These buyers won't. Statistically, they will go for Honda or Toyota instead.

Ford cannot sell Fords and Lincolns on the same lot. Lincoln cannot stand alone either. So why not keep Mercury?

Until Ford is ready to reengineer the Taurus and Explorer, Mercury will continue to have dull dated cars. But that is still no reason to get rid of the Mercury brand.

I find it hard to comprehend how Mercury is costing Ford anything in the way of resources or engineering. Seriously, the idea of ending the brand built on different styling ques built on an expectation that buyers would then simply come back to Ford badged products is misguided. These buyers won't. Statistically, they will go for Honda or Toyota instead.

Ford cannot sell Fords and Lincolns on the same lot. Lincoln cannot stand alone either. So why not keep Mercury?

Until Ford is ready to reengineer the Taurus and Explorer, Mercury will continue to have dull dated cars. But that is still no reason to get rid of the Mercury brand.

I agree.

If there is a 2010 Taurus then there should be a 2010 Sable.

If there is a 2010 Explorer then there should be a 2010 Mountaineer.

But ford needs to make the Mercuries stand out from the crowd.

I agree.

If there is a 2010 Taurus then there should be a 2010 Sable.

If there is a 2010 Explorer then there should be a 2010 Mountaineer.

But ford needs to make the Mercuries stand out from the crowd.

What do you mean "If there's a 2010 Taurus/Explorer".....more like when.

I do agree that Mercury needs a model of each, but they shouldn't be identical as they are now, and right now, as I've said before, Ford is concentrating on Lincoln, while Mercury takes a back seat. Honestly, by the looks of it now, I'd be surprised to see a Sable and Mountaineer debut with their former Ford counterparts. I do however seeing a Sable/Mountaineer debuting a year or two later with more distinct sheetmental/interiors than currently offered, once Lincoln is more stable and established in it's design direction and product porfolio.

I do agree that Mercury needs a model of each, but they shouldn't be identical as they are now, and right now, as I've said before, Ford is concentrating on Lincoln, while Mercury takes a back seat. Honestly, by the looks of it now, I'd be surprised to see a Sable and Mountaineer debut with their former Ford counterparts. I do however seeing a Sable/Mountaineer debuting a year or two later with more distinct sheetmental/interiors than currently offered, once Lincoln is more stable and established in it's design direction and product porfolio.

There has been alot of talk of no Sable and Moutaineer after 2010, i think its BS but it has been brought up many times.

If there is a 2010 Taurus/Explorer was refering to that 2010 is likley the years that they will be released. They could be delays that would push it back but when ever the new Taurus and Explorer debut will determine if Ford will Keep Mercury around if the sable and mounty are produced or are not.

There has been alot of talk of no Sable and Moutaineer after 2010, i think its BS but it has been brought up many times.

We can only hope. Ford might base its decision on what the current Sable is selling. the poor thing cannot even break 1,000 units a month. I have a feeling the sable will break 1,000 units this month because i have been seeing alot of new Sables still with the dealer plate on, so thats a good sign, Hopefully.

Here's a semi-strange idea:

- Build an amazing car line called the Cougar.

- Keep expanding that line while loosely under the umbrella of Mercury.

- Fade Mercury away and make Cougar become the new car line.

So, basically:

- Cougar Sport

- Cougar Medallian

- Cougar something

- Cougar SUV

It's metamorphasising the Mercury brand into the Cougar brand, I guess.

Any thoughts yea or nay?

So, basically:

- Cougar Sport

- Cougar Medallian

- Cougar something

- Cougar SUV

Any thoughts yea or nay?

Ehh i don't like that idea, sorry...

So, basically:

- Cougar Sport

- Cougar Medallian

- Cougar something

- Cougar SUV

Any thoughts yea or nay?

I vote nay.....that'd ruin Cougar's reputation/heritage, the same way a Mustang sedan or wagon would ruin Mustang's heritage.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh sweet jesus, I cant go through this every other month! I am so sick of stupid editoriols on how Mercury is bring Ford down, where did these people study economics and buisness? Mercury only ADDS value to Ford. its costs nothing to turn a ford into a mercury and you have a whole new audience to sell to. If you read the posts on that aritcle on MSN it is laughable, im glad we are smarter over here, all of them stating if people are blind that ford and mercurys are the same car, of course we know that. all these Toyota and Honda owners on there love to bash us but for god's sake are they not the blind ones as well paying for Acura and Lexus which are also rebadges.

I dont know if Mercury will go away, im sure the ford execs talk about it all the time, they give us nothing, no news on a new sable, no news on a new engine for the Milan but its breaking news on the Fusion, time well tell, i know it wont be gone tomorrow, Lincoln cant survive yet on its own with its current model line up so everyone out there buy a Mercury now! Show them this is a product worth saving.

Volvo is the new Mercury.

Mercury dealerships are closing and Volvo is moving in with Lincoln...

Read between the lines...

they give us nothing, no news on a new sable, no news on a new engine for the Milan but its breaking news on the Fusion, time well tell, i know it wont be gone tomorrow,

Just another throw away brand...

PICT1173.jpg

Oh sweet jesus, I cant go through this every other month! I am so sick of stupid editoriols on how Mercury is bring Ford down, where did these people study economics and buisness? Mercury only ADDS value to Ford. its costs nothing to turn a ford into a mercury and you have a whole new audience to sell to. If you read the posts on that aritcle on MSN it is laughable, im glad we are smarter over here, all of them stating if people are blind that ford and mercurys are the same car, of course we know that. all these Toyota and Honda owners on there love to bash us but for god's sake are they not the blind ones as well paying for Acura and Lexus which are also rebadges.

I dont know if Mercury will go away, im sure the ford execs talk about it all the time, they give us nothing, no news on a new sable, no news on a new engine for the Milan but its breaking news on the Fusion, time well tell, i know it wont be gone tomorrow, Lincoln cant survive yet on its own with its current model line up so everyone out there buy a Mercury now! Show them this is a product worth saving.

Well said .

oh by the way is it true the Mercury Mountaineer will be discontinued in a couple of years ? I've always preferred the Mountaineer over the current Explorer .

main_ext_12.jpg

long live Mercury long live .