Is Mercury Done?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not hearing any buzz regarding new Mercury products. Can we assume the Mercury Division is on the chopping block?

I hope ford keeps mercury around.

Mountaineer: old and out dated and fading away

Sable: Can't even break 1,000 units a month

GM: old and very outdated, no major changes has been done since 2005??

Milan and Mariner are the only Mercury products that are doing well.

Many people believe Ford should import european models and badge them as Mercuries which i think is a good idea. Or make Mercury the Hybrid brand or alternative fuels.

Give Mercury a compact pickup truck and call it Monarch, Medallian or M1, to replace Mazda B-series if the F100 is produced.

Give Mercury the sports car Cougar and the Capri.

Give Mercury a redesigned GM call in the Park Lane.

Give Mercury a panel/family Version of the Transit connect.

Alot can be done with Mercury but all ford likes to do are rebadges. Mercury can have a few Rebadges but the whole lineup should NOT be REBADGES, something Ford does not understand.

Edited by FordFanForEver

I used to think that Ford should sell the Euro cars here as Mercury's, but I don't think that is such a good idea anymore. Mercury is a distraction. Ford needs to keep working on Ford and let Mercury have no more then they currently have. I say bring over Euro Fords and sell them here as Fords.

Currently, Mercury dealers just don't have the vehicle slections to draw folks into showrooms, especially younger buyers. If they are ever going to develop buyer loyalty, they need to appeal to a wider demographic. They have no small fuel efficient cars and no updated crossovers. They do have the totally outdated, Panther friendly Marquis and a Sable that while a very nice car, just has no pizzaz. The Milan is the only car that even hints as modern. Overall, their vehicles just do not draw in buyers. I totally agree that Ford should look to import European and Aussie models and badge them as Mercury. They also need to persue a strategy that is more than just rebadging Fords. They need to differentiate their products from Ford. The have terrific looking models outside of the USA and it's time we starting them in Mercury dealerships and soon.

Currently, Mercury dealers just don't have the vehicle slections to draw folks into showrooms, especially younger buyers. If they are ever going to develop buyer loyalty, they need to appeal to a wider demographic. They have no small fuel efficient cars and no updated crossovers. They do have the totally outdated, Panther friendly Marquis and a Sable that while a very nice car, just has no pizzaz. The Milan is the only car that even hints as modern. Overall, their vehicles just do not draw in buyers. I totally agree that Ford should look to import European and Aussie models and badge them as Mercury. They also need to persue a strategy that is more than just rebadging Fords. They need to differentiate their products from Ford. The have terrific looking models outside of the USA and it's time we starting them in Mercury dealerships and soon.

in the 1990's, Mercury was selling over 400,000 units a year, not they hardly break 150,000. If Mercury sold 400,000 units in the past, they can do it again with better quality products.

Let's take Ford for what it has said. They have said that right now, they are going to polish the Blue Oval and Lincoln and that is where the effort is going. Mercury for now will be kept as is with Mercury getting refreshed Milan and hybrid model as only new model. Then when Ford sees results from concentrating on Ford and Lincoln brand, Mercury will be looked at and decision will be made on what to do. I suspect that if Mercury can hang in there with what they have, Ford will do something, but if Mercury sales just keep dropping and Milan and Mariner have troubles too, then I believe Ford will pull plug after Ford and Lincoln are stabilized and off life support.

If Ford re-aligned the dealer network and put Mercury at Mazda dealerships as their upscale brand, then made all the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealerships Ford/Lincoln...Mercury would no longer have to compete with Ford vehicles on the same lot for sales. A Milan Premier and a Fusion SEL are damn near identical....but a Milan Premier next to a Mazda6 would have enough differences to justify both cars.

Mazda can be the "Zoom Zoom" and Mercury would slide in above that with a luxury feel that the Mazda line is lacking.

If Ford re-aligned the dealer network and put Mercury at Mazda dealerships as their upscale brand, then made all the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealerships Ford/Lincoln...Mercury would no longer have to compete with Ford vehicles on the same lot for sales. A Milan Premier and a Fusion SEL are damn near identical....but a Milan Premier next to a Mazda6 would have enough differences to justify both cars.

Mazda can be the "Zoom Zoom" and Mercury would slide in above that with a luxury feel that the Mazda line is lacking.

I kinda of like this idea but not completely sold yet. LOL.

will see what happpens. There are many ways they can try to make Mercury sucessfull but until they start caring about the brand nothing will be done.

The last time Mercury had an identity it was "At the Sign of the Cat".

The fact that Mercury did not get a Mustang based Cougar pretty well tells the whole story.

Mercury used to have the personal luxury niche. No more.

A little pandering to women, and a few badges, seems to be the extent of Ford's commitment. I think the plan is death by attrition. No big announcements, just a fade to black.

How Ford uses Mercury will tell us a great deal about Ford strategy going forward. Mullaly has correctly rejected merger with Nissan or any other player. The truth is that Ford needs to merge with itself. Ford of Europe, Australia, and even South America are in many ways less integrated With Ford NA, than Ford NA is with Volvo or Mazda. I believe we are seeing the first signs that Mullaly recognizes the internal opportunity for merger.

Market strategy currently revolves around two concepts:

Differentiation: The brand stands for something: BMW the ultimate driving machine. Mazda, Zoom Zoom, the soul of a sports car.

Segmentation: Sports cars, SUV, Crossover etc. Range Rover, and Ferrari are examples of brands that differentiate by segment.

Where Ford is falling short is recognition of the value of brand segmentation. The conventional thinking is that every brand needs to compete in every segment. Basically we have the same sausage in different lengths. The brand is supposed to mean something and then the segments carry that meaning in different sized portions. Differentiation of an entire brand is difficult: What is the differentiation between Ford and Chevy as brands? One has an Oval and the Other a Bowtie?

Effective segmentation strategy creates an opportunity to create a market premium for the products. The meaning of the brand doesn't have to flow over so many different barriers. Clarity in differentiation reduces competitive pressure. (Porcshe: There is no Substitute)

Mercury could be used to compete in a single segment where the Ford brand differentiation fails to add value. For example, Mercury could be the luxury coupe brand, focused on the presonal luxury car. Think of an American BMW selecting only the coupe and convertible models. The platform for Focus, Fusion, Mustang, and even the Taurus could live here, but as coupe and convertible with much greater feature content and detail differentiation. Note that this type of differentiation is strong enough to allow the sales of the vehicles side by side with Ford product with no cannibalization of sales.

But none of that is going to happen. Mercury will be be allowed to go off into that dark night, following a pair of Oldsmobile tail lights into oblivion.

Edited by xr7g428

Mercury should be selling tradionally styled American cars. No one else does. A small niche, no doubt, but as someone who has owned three new Mercurys and, at age 49, has a few more buying years ahead, I would love to see something that doesn't look EuroNipponese. A car trimmed in a fashion that the editors at Motor Trend and car and Driver would hate. They could get back to 400K a year.

Just a thought. They will never do it. Too busy copying Japan and Germany.

I am not hearing any buzz regarding new Mercury products. Can we assume the Mercury Division is on the chopping block?

Ford should consider dropping Mercury as a product line and concentrate on first build better Ford Cars. What good is the name Mercury if the name Ford is not doing well?

The should also consolidate the dealerships and encourage Lincoln Mercury to combine with Volvo dealers with a new name of Lincoln / Volvo

Fords worldwide lineup should be as follows

Ford

Lincoln

Volvo

Mazda

The new Taurus should be based on the Lincoln MKS.

The Taurus X should also be based on the Lincoln MKS.

Edited by grimesdr

Ford should consider dropping Mercury as a product line and concentrate on first build better Ford Cars. What good is the name Mercury if the name Ford is not doing well?

The should also consolidate the dealerships and encourage Lincoln Mercury to combine with Volvo dealers with a new name of Lincoln / Volvo

Fords worldwide lineup should be as follows

Ford

Lincoln

Volvo

Mazda

The new Taurus should be based on the Lincoln MKS.

The Taurus X should also be based on the Lincoln MKS.

Ford is selling Volvo/

Ford

Lincoln

MERCURY

Mazda

Ford is more interested in getting rid of Volvo than Mercury.

Mercury has more "history" with Ford than Volvo does since it was Edsel Ford himself that created Mercury. Edsel was a very good man and forward thinking entrepreneur that just could not get out from Henry's shadow....in the end, it killed him. Lets not let his legacy die too.....save Mercury!

Mercury has more "history" with Ford than Volvo does since it was Edsel Ford himself that created Mercury. Edsel was a very good man and forward thinking entrepreneur that just could not get out from Henry's shadow....in the end, it killed him. Lets not let his legacy die too.....save Mercury!

I'd like to see Mercury live.

Volvo is remaining too conservative to me. The new S80, while nice looking, still looks very similar to the old one.

The XC60, I have a feeling will be watered down to where it's pretty generic.

Another addition to the Suggestion Box:

I think Mercury could thrive as an "exciting" brand with vehicles that are designed for looks over functionality. What do you guys think?

I'd like to see Mercury live.

Volvo is remaining too conservative to me. The new S80, while nice looking, still looks very similar to the old one.

The XC60, I have a feeling will be watered down to where it's pretty generic.

Another addition to the Suggestion Box:

I think Mercury could thrive as an "exciting" brand with vehicles that are designed for looks over functionality. What do you guys think?

Ford investing in Mercury, but exec won't guarantee its future

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/...ylist=autonews2

Volvo is one of their main platforms and should be kept around and let the Mercury line go. The mercury's of yesteryear are gone for ever and does not have the $$ to rebuild 3 diiferent brand names.

So lean it down and keep the names people know like Ford, Lincoln, Volvo and Mazda!

:finger:

Volvo is one of their main platforms and should be kept around and let the Mercury line go. The mercury's of yesteryear are gone for ever and does not have the $$ to rebuild 3 diiferent brand names.

So lean it down and keep the names people know like Ford, Lincoln, Volvo and Mazda!

Even if mercury is killed of, Volvo will be gone before Mercury will...

Whether Volvo is still owned by Ford or not has no bearing on whether Ford can supply parts for Volvo-based platforms. Ford has the right to continue making the parts for production.

Ford doesn't need Volvo to make future platforms... Ford still has the ability to design and engineer it's own cars if they choose to do so, even if they have to share engineering from Ford of Europe or Australia. Mazda will remain a part of Ford as well and I expect continued shared engineering between the two.

Edited by Watchdevil

I think what happens to Sable when Taurus is reskinned for 2010 and whether Mercury receives the Taurus X after the Flex and Explorer arrive will be big indicators of what Ford is (or isn't) doing with the brand.