My Week With A Mariner

ANTAUS

Friend bought a '08 Mariner V6 Premiere Black/Stone, just a few days into it, she needed to leave town but wanted me to break it in till she returns. So just thought I would report on my findings. I've been vocal on these boards about my dissapointment with Fords typicalness of introducing a vehicle with yestur-years engines, but my perception of the vehicle (prior to my experience) was good overall according to pictures and possibly a few reviews here and there where I see Ford is going in a positive direction. Mind you, my everyday vehicle is a LS V8, so maybe on I might be expecting too much, on certain items I noticed along the way, so I've had to "compare" with other similar vehicles I have test driven briefly.

LOVE

Ice Blue Lighting- but didn't Chrysler have this similar color somewhere? Although I would appreciate the needles to be in RED to decipher them. I've had to take my eyes off the road for a bit to find them in the see of Ice Blue. Also, don't see why the TEMP readouts on the Digital readout are of a lighter hue of blue, and they are both at opposite sides of the display. Just having it "half/half" with the radio readouts would be easier.

The center armrest console bin, can be pulled out, and there's 2 trays in there...both can be taken out...one can hang on the side console on a clip, or even taken to the rear part of the console where a clip is available to hang it there as well. This tray is lined and you can stick pretty much anything from a wallet/ipod/phone, the bigger one can handle a small purse, and you can hide a laptop in the armrest console if need be.

I APPRECIATE

You click the Window lockout switch, and all the illumination from the window switches on passenger doors turns off. Although it's odd that the window lockout switch on the drivers door itself isn't lit up at any time (my LS has this oddity).

The rear hatch windows opens on it's own and out of the way with the keyfob (rather than just unlatching and staying there where you have to lift it).

Click the unlock button, and the headlights turn and stay on for a bit (GM's do this a bit-whereas in most other words you just have "approach lights under the side mirrors, but no headlights stay on) Glad they are moving to this..I can find the car easier at night without hitting the panic button on a crowded lot.

Headrest was in a perfect place for my head. No travel at all, perfect fit. Only Volvos have been that perfect in placement.

ODDITIES

The Info/Reset/Set Up Buttons for the message computer are very low on the left side of the steering wheel, as in, I can hit my knee with it easily...thats IF I were shorter and closer to the dashboard.

The fold in mirrors fold alright, maybe 2 inches max inwards (pointless?)

Passenger seatbelt buckle has a bit of velvet on one side so when it hits the center console, it doesn't make a noise or mare the finish.

DISLIKED

A/C fan is a bit too loud at higher speeds for my taste, but does work well to cool, but thats very common.

Weren't the fold-down rear seats easier to fold in the previous versions? You have to pull out the headrests, pull forward the bottom cushion, then fold the backrest down. And even then, it's not down enough and has a steep angle. Usually Ford does better in this dept, that was disappointing.

No Auto Up for the drivers window, just down? And NOTHING auto for the passengers?

DRIVING EXPERIENCE

I noticed how the vehicle was improved in regards to isolation, although the suspension reminds you it's going over bumps particularly rebound. Supposedly noise insulation was improved and in relation to normal lower speed driving under 40MPH the vehicle was decently average. On the highway it was a bit noiser. You hear some tire gruff coming from the front wheel wells depending how you take certain turns a bit faster than usual.

As for the engine, if your doing neighborhood driving (under 30MPH), it's somewhat decent. A bit annoying pressing the pedal and the hood just kinda lifts a bit and lunges forward. Torque is the main issue missing from it, HP is decent for city driving. But unfortunately the V6 is gasping for breathe at anything higher than 3000RPM. The muffler is tuned to give it (Or cover up_ some of that noise but the noise coming thru the firewall is raspy. The tranny is slow and relunctant to down-shift.. when it does downshift, it does it quite smoothly though. On the highway, stab the pedal for power to downshift for power, and your accompanied with noises from hells gates gasping for last breathes...you hear noise, but your not moving much. VERY disappointing but we know the problem might be rectified in next years model.

My main disappointment was all this talk about NVH improvements, and I'm guessing because I was expecting better....but feeling the engine vibrate and hum thru the pedal was horribly annoying. And cruising at the same speed in neighborhood streets you HEAR this resonating HUM thru the cabin of the engine which was annoying as well. When the car is stopped, you can feel a slight vibration (particularly when you open a door for someone to get in), where you can hear the cycling of the compressor fellowed by the vibration thru the dashboard. Steering was well damped though, and turn in steering was quite good for the new unit, and very tight turning circle was a plus.

I just came away a bit more disappointed than I had expected. I was expecting the engine/tranny to be a let down from the start but ignored that part of the assessment....but my disappointment really came from the supposed NVH improvements. Maybe I was expecting much more in that regard, maybe this is how the vehicle was designed to feel like? Maybe I'm spoiled and was looking for more? Maybe vehicles in this range are just the same? I'm willing to hear other thoughts on it....

My main disappointment was all this talk about NVH improvements, and I'm guessing because I was expecting better....but feeling the engine vibrate and hum thru the pedal was horribly annoying. And cruising at the same speed in neighborhood streets you HEAR this resonating HUM thru the cabin of the engine which was annoying as well. When the car is stopped, you can feel a slight vibration (particularly when you open a door for someone to get in), where you can hear the cycling of the compressor fellowed by the vibration thru the dashboard. Steering was well damped though, and turn in steering was quite good for the new unit, and very tight turning circle was a plus.

Just so you know, there were none of these things on the Escape I tested. There was a very annoying whistle from the front of the vehicle.

Edited by suv_guy_19

My dad drove an Escape in Michigan when I was supposed to go to the Michigan Fall NASCAR race with him (was a waste because the race was rained out two days in a row and didn't run until Tuesday when we were home). Anyway, the only thing that bugged me about the Escape were the exposed screws on the interior. Seeing a bolt's exposed metal pieces for a seat is a bit crude, I think, in an SUV. That's something I expect from a school bus, not an SUV. Other than that, I liked the car-like ride, the engine's power (even if it does sound a bit "gaspy" above a certain RPM, just like the old 500), and the styling of the vehicle.

I think a new engine and some better interior components could go a long way in the vehicle.

I agree with you about the red needles on the guages, although I haven't driven in a vehicle with the Ice Blue lighting.....it seems odd that the needles wouldn't be different colors.

Why is it odd that the window lockout switch is on the door? I think it's pretty normal for Ford vehicles to not have the lockout switch illuminated, neither of ours do. I too like the 'other window switches go off when locked' feature.

That's cool about the rear window hatch opening itself, handy for when you're carrying something.

The headlight on/unlock feature is nice as well.

The felt/velvet piece on the passenger (and even driver) seatbelt latch is pretty common these days, I believe. I think our Fords have it, and I know our BMW has it as well.

The way the rear seats are folded down seems too complex for my liking as well.....a power release feature like Edge would be appreciated.

The Auto-down drivers window only is common for Ford vehicles as well...ours have that. I would like all windows to be auto up/down though....like our BMW....it's a nice feature.

Commenting about the NVH concerns you had.....maybe some of the problems will be solved with next year's better engines?

The Auto-down drivers window only is common for Ford vehicles as well...ours have that. I would like all windows to be auto up/down though....like our BMW....it's a nice feature.

Auto up is a liability to me. I've almost had the auto-up on my brother's Continental jam my fingers in the window sill. I know my fingers shouldn't have been there, but I was trying to put a parking-lot paper in the window sill so I could park legally at my school. I pulled my finger out just in time. I think that was the first time in history I wished a car had manual windows ...

Auto up is a liability to me. I've almost had the auto-up on my brother's Continental jam my fingers in the window sill. I know my fingers shouldn't have been there, but I was trying to put a parking-lot paper in the window sill so I could park legally at my school. I pulled my finger out just in time. I think that was the first time in history I wished a car had manual windows ...

Don't the windows w/ the auto up feature have sensors or whatever that make the window roll back down if it hits something?

"Auto up is a liability to me. I've almost had the auto-up on my brother's Continental jam my fingers in the window sill. I know my fingers shouldn't have been there, but I was trying to put a parking-lot paper in the window sill so I could park legally at my school. I pulled my finger out just in time. I think that was the first time in history I wished a car had manual windows ..."

the auto up/down feature on Lincoln is only activated if you press or pull the switch fully. It has a dedent you have to push past to activate the auto feature otherwise you can manually up/down the window to your desired height. In fact I have never used a auto feature on any car/truck that did not have the dedent.

Yes, any Auto Up window, features anti-pinch technology so it'll bounce back if it encounters any issues, same with the moonroof. My LS has that feature. I would figure that at least both front windows have this feature by now on the Escape/Mariner at least.

I did notice the exposed bolts on the side center floor console someone mentioned. I think a decent bolt cover could have gone a long way.

I despise the D30 with a passion for this reason, it's a VERY course engine in all of Ford's applications. I don't care what they do, the engine completely ruins every car it's slapped into. I was very disapointed to learn that the D30 remains for 2009. I refuse to buy anything that is less refined than my garbage disposer!

I despise the D30 with a passion for this reason, it's a VERY course engine in all of Ford's applications. I don't care what they do, the engine completely ruins every car it's slapped into. I was very disapointed to learn that the D30 remains for 2009. I refuse to buy anything that is less refined than my garbage disposer! Sometimes, refinement takes priority over fuel economy and I'm disappointed to learn that is the reason the D30 hasn't beeng completely replaced by D35.

Great review btw, I had never noticed the window switch logout controlling the lights to those switches. I'll have to look at that on my MKX.

Edited by BORG

I APPRECIATE

You click the Window lockout switch, and all the illumination from the window switches on passenger doors turns off. Although it's odd that the window lockout switch on the drivers door itself isn't lit up at any time (my LS has this oddity).

Is Ford still retarded in that once you hit the window lock button, even the driver loses control ov every window but his? Thats how My mom's escape works. Dumbest thing ever.

Click the unlock button, and the headlights turn and stay on for a bit (GM's do this a bit-whereas in most other words you just have "approach lights under the side mirrors, but no headlights stay on) Glad they are moving to this..I can find the car easier at night without hitting the panic button on a crowded lot.

My grandma's 2004 Rainier lights up the head lights and reverse lights when you push unlock.

I noticed how the vehicle was improved in regards to isolation, although the suspension reminds you it's going over bumps particularly rebound. Supposedly noise insulation was improved and in relation to normal lower speed driving under 40MPH the vehicle was decently average. On the highway it was a bit noiser. You hear some tire gruff coming from the front wheel wells depending how you take certain turns a bit faster than usual.

As for the engine, if your doing neighborhood driving (under 30MPH), it's somewhat decent. A bit annoying pressing the pedal and the hood just kinda lifts a bit and lunges forward. Torque is the main issue missing from it, HP is decent for city driving. But unfortunately the V6 is gasping for breathe at anything higher than 3000RPM. The muffler is tuned to give it (Or cover up_ some of that noise but the noise coming thru the firewall is raspy. The tranny is slow and relunctant to down-shift.. when it does downshift, it does it quite smoothly though. On the highway, stab the pedal for power to downshift for power, and your accompanied with noises from hells gates gasping for last breathes...you hear noise, but your not moving much. VERY disappointing but we know the problem might be rectified in next years model.

I just came away a bit more disappointed than I had expected. I was expecting the engine/tranny to be a let down from the start but ignored that part of the assessment....but my disappointment really came from the supposed NVH improvements. Maybe I was expecting much more in that regard, maybe this is how the vehicle was designed to feel like? Maybe I'm spoiled and was looking for more? Maybe vehicles in this range are just the same? I'm willing to hear other thoughts on it....

You pretty much summed up exactly how Car and Driver felt about the Escape.

Is Ford still retarded in that once you hit the window lock button, even the driver loses control ov every window but his? Thats how My mom's

I've never heard of that is any other vehicle, and I don't think the new one does it. Whats also retarded is how our Rendezvous (yuck) doesn't lock the front passenger window.

Is Ford still retarded in that once you hit the window lock button, even the driver loses control ov every window but his? Thats how My mom's escape works. Dumbest thing ever.

I guess Nissan/Infiniti is too, not sure about Volvo because I don't get to drive it. I drove it home from the dealer and the other half takes it every morning to work.

I believe that is MAZDA's retardation - my Mazda3 does that, and the original Escape was very much using Mazda wiring ..

Another thing with Mazda is lack of auto unlock when you pull on the door handle inside. And also lack orf auto-lock when you are moving .. all were present in my Focus .. but the MAzda3 lacks them ...

Igor

I believe that is MAZDA's retardation - my Mazda3 does that, and the original Escape was very much using Mazda wiring ..

Another thing with Mazda is lack of auto unlock when you pull on the door handle inside. And also lack orf auto-lock when you are moving .. all were present in my Focus .. but the MAzda3 lacks them ...

Igor

Ditto that in our G35, it drives me nuts.....that and the lack of power folding exterior mirrors.

Is Ford still retarded in that once you hit the window lock button, even the driver loses control ov every window but his?

Our Mazda 6 is the same way. The GM and Excursion are not like that and the driver can still open and close the windows with the window lock on. That is how they should all be set up.. Also the window lock is not illumnated in the Excursion as well.

Matthew

I guess Nissan/Infiniti is too, not sure about Volvo because I don't get to drive it. I drove it home from the dealer and the other half takes it every morning to work.

You bet...if thats how they operate.

I believe our Escape, when the front doors are locked...you can pull them and they will unlock...but it drove my mom nuts that her 1994 Chevy Lumina APV had self locking doors when you put it in drive (as well as my Grandmas 1996 Explorer), but her 2001 Escape does not. Not so much of a big deal now that my brothers are older...but she was not happy.

Our Mazda 6 is the same way. The GM and Excursion are not like that and the driver can still open and close the windows with the window lock on. That is how they should all be set up.. Also the window lock is not illumnated in the Excursion as well.

Matthew

Thats how it is in my '01. And because of Ford's endless decontenting, I had to find a '98-'99 CV window switch assembly...jumper a wire and I had a lighted switch panel. By '00-'01, Ford had decontented the small LEDs out of the switch assembly all together. The only thing that pisses me off is that the LEDs stay illuminated ALL OF THE TIME. So after about 40K miles, the LEDs will be burned out anyway. I believe in '03 Ford got smart and only had the switches illuminated when the headlights were on.

You bet...if thats how they operate.

I believe our Escape, when the front doors are locked...you can pull them and they will unlock...but it drove my mom nuts that her 1994 Chevy Lumina APV had self locking doors when you put it in drive (as well as my Grandmas 1996 Explorer), but her 2001 Escape does not. Not so much of a big deal now that my brothers are older...but she was not happy.

Thats how it is in my '01. And because of Ford's endless decontenting, I had to find a '98-'99 CV window switch assembly...jumper a wire and I had a lighted switch panel. By '00-'01, Ford had decontented the small LEDs out of the switch assembly all together. The only thing that pisses me off is that the LEDs stay illuminated ALL OF THE TIME. So after about 40K miles, the LEDs will be burned out anyway. I believe in '03 Ford got smart and only had the switches illuminated when the headlights were on.

Wow the self-proclaimed expert has spoken. You complain entirely too much....

If you think the 2008 is loud on the highway, you should have driven my 2005 Mariner. I had to look back to make sure that a Jet Air liner was not about to land on top of me. It was my #1 complaint about the vehicle. I have neve had such a loud vehicle on the highway. ( #2 was lack of telescoping wheel ).

For the money, these are good little SUV's. I never really thought they were under powered, Although I would love the see the 3.5L in the AWD version... That would truly be a fun little SUV.... I think it would have too much torue steer in a FWD only model....( the torque steer in the V6 Rav 4 FWD is horrable )

Maybe I was hoping for a bit more considering what the media kit stated on NVH improvements. The whole engine hum of the 3.0L while driving AND feeling it in the pedal is downright annoying, not to mention the A/C compressor vibration when you opened the front door while letting it run. At the price they run for, there's a certain line that I just wouldn't pay for it. I know some of them fully loaded can easily hit $30K, and even at $25K I think they are sort of "pushing it" mainly because of that particular issue I addressed above. At $25K either, I WONT accept it and disregard even looking at the vehicle, or work into an Edge which response my biggest beef. Thats If I were shopping for such a vehicle.

Just like my current LS, would I buy it for $52K as the sticker stated? Do I think thats a fair price for it... Hmmm no..there's other vehicles I would have cross-shopped if that were the case. But because I got it for almost half, THEN at that price point I said "Hey it's a great bang for the buck"... And thats how I felt with the Mariner/Escape.