Electroluminescence gauges are dangerous

UltimateX

I have been noticing a lot of cars driving around after dark lately with their headlights off. I live in a urban area with lots of street lights, so lights are more for being seen that for seeing. Inevitably they are either a Honda or a Toyota with the electroluminescence gauges. Usually I see a dark car drive by with a brilliantly light gauge cluster visible as they drive by. In the old days when the gauges were dark and hard to read, you turned on the lights.

These types of gauges seem to be more trouble than they are worth. They have to be actively lite in the day and when you are forced to turn on the headlights because of rain, the auto dim and become difficult to read.

Is it just me, or are these an answer to a question that nobody asked? At the very least automatic headlights should be requirement for these types of gauge clusters.

I wonder if this sort of design negligence could lead to some sort of legal action against those manufactures in the future.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an '04 Mazda6 with electroluminescent gauges and I never had any of the issues you mentioned.

Maybe it is the type of drivers that drive Honda and Toyota especially. They often times do not seem to be in tune with their appliance, I mean car. Every time I see this, I cringe, it is usually near a well lite area like a shopping center with lots of street lights, and I have seen them drive as much as a mile or more this way.

I have been noticing a lot of cars driving around after dark lately with their headlights off. I live in a urban area with lots of street lights, so lights are more for being seen that for seeing. Inevitably they are either a Honda or a Toyota with the electroluminescence gauges. Usually I see a dark car drive by with a brilliantly light gauge cluster visible as they drive by. In the old days when the gauges were dark and hard to read, you turned on the lights.

These types of gauges seem to be more trouble than they are worth. They have to be actively lite in the day and when you are forced to turn on the headlights because of rain, the auto dim and become difficult to read.

Is it just me, or are these an answer to a question that nobody asked? At the very least automatic headlights should be requirement for these types of gauge clusters.

I wonder if this sort of design negligence could lead to some sort of legal action against those manufactures in the future.

I have noticed the same thing. You are correct these cars should have standard automatic ext lighting.

I had an '04 Mazda6 with electroluminescent gauges and I never had any of the issues you mentioned.

We have a Mazda 6 and I have done it. Forgot to turn on the head lights cause the gauges are illuminated.

The problem is compounded here with DRL's As the head lights are on (although at a reduced output) Damn near got ticket for it. Fortunretly the cop felt as I did that is was damn stupid idea to have the gauges illuminated when the head lights are off.

On the GM it was no issue as I always had the head lights set to Auto. The 6 is not fitted with auto lamps.

Personally it think illuminated gauges when the head lights are off should be done away with.

Then there is no way you will forget to turn on the head lights.

Matthew

We have a Mazda 6 and I have done it. Forgot to turn on the head lights cause the gauges are illuminated.

The problem is compounded here with DRL's As the head lights are on (although at a reduced output) Damn near got ticket for it. Fortunretly the cop felt as I did that is was damn stupid idea to have the gauges illuminated when the head lights are off.

On the GM it was no issue as I always had the head lights set to Auto. The 6 is not fitted with auto lamps.

Personally it think illuminated gauges when the head lights are off should be done away with.

Then there is no way you will forget to turn on the head lights.

Matthew

I'm a bit obsessive about such things so maybe that's why I've never done it.

I believe auto-lamps ought to be a standard on all cars. My Fusion also has the feature that turns on the headlights if the windshield wipers are on (there is a delay before they come on but I'm not sure how long). IMO, both are more important for safety than convenience.

Edited by TomServo92

I live not far from you and have noticed the exact same thing.

Of course, I see plenty of other cars driving around with lights off as well... older cars wiithout electroluminescent gauges. Seems to be just a thing around here.

My Fusion also has the feature that turns on the headlights if the windshield wipers are on (there is a delay before they come on but I'm not sure how long). IMO, both are more important for safety than convenience.

I like that feature. In California, it's against the law to drive with your windshield wipers on and your headlights off.

I've noticed the same thing near me. One vehicle I remember was an Acura MDX. Same situation, the guages were on, but only the running/parking lights were on outside the car.

I'm a bit obsessive about such things so maybe that's why I've never done it.

I believe auto-lamps ought to be a standard on all cars. My Fusion also has the feature that turns on the headlights if the windshield wipers are on (there is a delay before they come on but I'm not sure how long). IMO, both are more important for safety than convenience.

Just because one has auto-lights doesn't mean they're always gonna use them. Some may still turn the knob and forget to turn them on. I know occasionally (during the day, though) when I want the guages illuminated on a dark day, but don't need the headlights, I'll turn on the parking lights, but that's a different situation.

I like that feature. In California, it's against the law to drive with your windshield wipers on and your headlights off.

Interesting law, but it's smart, especially in torrential downpours....the ones where you cant see a thing, then at least you can see the taillights of the vehicle in front of you.

I believe auto-lamps ought to be a standard on all cars.

I disagree. I much more prefer to not have a 'nanny' to take care of me.

These systems have become so intertwined with the basic operation of the automobile, resulting in our dependence on them, that our (as a society) ability to safely operate a car has suffered.

Does anyone really need 4wd to drive in snow, or do they just need to slow down?

Does anyone really need stability control, or do they just need to slow down?

(I acknowledge that these 2 features are generally considered options, but they contribute to the larger problem)

Does anyone really need tire-pressure monitoring system, or do they just need to be more involved in their vehicle's maintenance?

Does anyone need daytime running lights, or do other drivers just need to be more observant?

(If I recall these are NOT options, but required by law, at least in certain countries, on certain vehicles)

I don't deny the convenience of such features, but I don't believe anyone can deny that our attentiveness to the task at hand (driving) or our basic knowledge of the function and maintenance of the automobile has suffered as a result.

We have become a 'blame the other guy' society. We blame Ford for our inattention to keeping proper tire pressure, or overloading our vehicle (because we can). (The Explorer controversy)

Are we (not you TomServo specifically) now going to blame the automobile makers for not making the headlights come on automatically? Do I need the government to remove my responsibility, and put it on the auto makers shoulders?

Call me a (right-wing) zealot, but it truly saddens me to believe that half this country wishes to 'enslave' itself to further government regulation.

Edited by RangerM

I disagree. I much more prefer to not have a 'nanny' to take care of me.

These systems have become so intertwined with the basic operation of the automobile, resulting in our dependence on them, that our (as a society) ability to safely operate a car has suffered.

Does anyone really need 4wd to drive in snow, or do they just need to slow down?

Does anyone really need stability control, or do they just need to slow down?

(I acknowledge that these 2 features are generally considered options, but they contribute to the larger problem)

Does anyone really need tire-pressure monitoring system, or do they just need to be more involved in their vehicle's maintenance?

Does anyone need daytime running lights, or do other drivers just need to be more observant?

(If I recall these are NOT options, but required by law, at least in certain countries, on certain vehicles)

I don't deny the convenience of such features, but I don't believe anyone can deny that our attentiveness to the task at hand (driving) or our basic knowledge of the function and maintenance of the automobile has suffered as a result.

We have become a 'blame the other guy' society. We blame Ford for our inattention to keeping proper tire pressure, or overloading our vehicle (because we can). (The Explorer controversy)

Are we (not you TomServo specifically) now going to blame the automobile makers for not making the headlights come on automatically? Do I need the government to remove my responsibility, and put it on the auto makers shoulders?

Call me a (right-wing) zealot, but it truly saddens me to believe that half this country wishes to 'enslave' itself to further government regulation.

I don't consider it a matter of "enslavement". To me, it's using technology to make something inherently safer. It's not like this takes away some liberty or freedom.

I don't consider it a matter of "enslavement".

The forced use of technology is.

To me, it's using technology to make something inherently safer. It's not like this takes away some liberty or freedom.

Who is safer; you (the user) or me (the other driver)? When the technology fails, as it often does, who is safer then?

Let me repeat, I am NOT against such technology, just government regulation forcing the use of it.

It's law in Florida as well (if I'm not mistaken). I remember that feature on the Fusion, as mine came with autolamps as well.

I really had no idea it was the law here to do that... I mean, people won't follow the most basic of things.

Stopping at a stop light/sign

Turning onto your OWN lane and not veer into someone elses

Putting your seatbelt on

Driving with the hazzards on when it rains (Specially in Miami, I've seen this in 3rd world countries).

So if they aren't ticketing for those, I doubt they would care about wipers/headlights on...

The forced use of technology is.

Who is safer; you (the user) or me (the other driver)? When the technology fails, as it often does, who is safer then?

Let me repeat, I am NOT against such technology, just government regulation forcing the use of it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where did I say it should be FORCED on anyone by the government? I just believe the automakers ought to make it standard equipment. In its current form, it can be turned off. Nobody is forced to use it. But making it available to everyone is great idea IMO.

Geez, talk about reading too much into something....

Edited by TomServo92

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where did I say it should be FORCED on anyone by the government? I just believe the automakers ought to make it standard equipment. In its current form, it can be turned off. Nobody is forced to use it. But making it available to everyone is great idea IMO.

Geez, talk about reading too much into something....

The thread was interspersed with mentions of the laws regarding use of headlights with wipers, but I erroneously projected that on top of your advocacy of automatic headlights.

My criticism wasn't intended for you specifically, although you were the recipient, but on society as a whole.

Would you say that the average driver is more or less engaged in the overall ownership (and the responsibilities) of an automobile?

It seems to me that we are less 'owners' of vehicles, and more 'users'.

It's law in Florida as well (if I'm not mistaken). I remember that feature on the Fusion, as mine came with autolamps as well.

Really? Ooops. I suppose sometimes when it's raining it's dark enough for them to go on anyways. That and I'd likely turn them on if they didn't.

Edited by rmc523