Is Raptor the new SVT project?

igor

I do not have any concrete information on this, just speculation.

However, for a while now SVT has been promising a big return this summer with a new truck project. Everyone expected a new Lightning or an Adrenaline (a real one). Instead we have all this news about the Raptor.

Despite SVT's previous focus on street cars, there is no reason why they cannot focus on off-road performance. The project still needs chassis tuning, suspension tuning, and engine work - just like Lightning, SVT Focus, or SVT Cobra - so it is a perfect proposition for the skunk works of SVT.

Could Ford be experimenting with the SVT focus to ensure its survival through investment in different niches?

any insights? responses? information?

Igor

Likely a more wealthy target demographic....that never hurts.

me thinks that the rich got tired of riced out trucks - especially after the mullet-special Ram SRT-8 - and Ford is trying something new - I have no doubt the Raptor will be unchristainly expensive - and people will buy it with market andjustment and all. This is not going to be a poor-man's truck in any way.

Igor

me thinks that the rich got tired of riced out trucks - especially after the mullet-special Ram SRT-8 - and Ford is trying something new - I have no doubt the Raptor will be unchristainly expensive - and people will buy it with market andjustment and all. This is not going to be a poor-man's truck in any way.

Igor

Yeah, I know the Raptor won't be a poor man's truck. That's why I think a Lightning would probably fare better.

Igor

I have heard an Off-Road SVT is being worked on, and although it sounded strange, it's seeming more and more like there's something to it.

I agree with you that it's going to be expensive and a good selling vehicle. It's definitely something new to the market and if done right, could be a hit.

I have heard an Off-Road SVT is being worked on, and although it sounded strange, it's seeming more and more like there's something to it.

I agree with you that it's going to be expensive and a good selling vehicle. It's definitely something new to the market and if done right, could be a hit.

i never cared for the lightening or the ss454 cheby for the matter..the raptor has a kewler name and from the spy photos looks cock...price is sure to be out of line but i think raptor is indeed the way to go for svt.....if ford wants a new lightening just drop the new boss in a few garden variety f150's and slap a few stickers on the side....

i never cared for the lightening or the ss454 cheby for the matter..the raptor has a kewler name and from the spy photos looks cock...price is sure to be out of line but i think raptor is indeed the way to go for svt.....if ford wants a new lightening just drop the new boss in a few garden variety f150's and slap a few stickers on the side....

used Lightnings currently fetch a pretty penny.....

yeah..ive just never understood the concept of 2 wheel drive hi-po truck...

A 2 wheel drive hi-po truck that can still tow 5000+ lbs. It's certainly more practical than most performance coupes.

Use your hi-po truck to tow your hi-po car to the track, then race BOTH of them. :happy feet:

I'm with NickF1011, I think a Lightning would be a much safer bet. Consider that there's already an established buyer-base that's been clamoring for a new truck since the last Lightning's demise. The Raptor would be something unique and cool, but I really hope it's being done in addition to, not in place of, a next-gen Lightning.

And I mean an actual Lightning based on the F-150, not the Sport Trac Adrenaline. They need only update the 2004 Concept to the upcoming truck's body and underpinnings, and there you go. No extended cab, no 4WD, just a shortbed and (my personal preference) offer a version like that concept with a 6-speed manual.

I was under the impression that the original lightning never sold very well, God knows I want one though, but with gas prices as they are supertrucks are risky bets.

My money is there is a sizable market for off-road trucks, as there always has been, and this could create quite a halo of power and 'ford tough' over the F-series range.

I was under the impression that the original lightning never sold very well, God knows I want one though, but with gas prices as they are supertrucks are risky bets.

My money is there is a sizable market for off-road trucks, as there always has been, and this could create quite a halo of power and 'ford tough' over the F-series range.

Hard to really gauge whether the Lightning sold well or not. It's such a tiny market, what exactly is a "good" selling performance truck? It sold several thousand units per year though, which was on par with SVT's other offerings and was much better than sales of things like the 454SS, Syclone, or Ram SRT-10.

Hard to really gauge whether the Lightning sold well or not. It's such a tiny market, what exactly is a "good" selling performance truck? It sold several thousand units per year though, which was on par with SVT's other offerings and was much better than sales of things like the 454SS, Syclone, or Ram SRT-10.

allocations weren't huge at all...we sold everyone we got...it was along the lines of the GT500 albeit a tad more plentiful....

allocations weren't huge at all...we sold everyone we got...it was along the lines of the GT500 albeit a tad more plentiful....

Well, back then you didn't have to share your SVT allocation with every Tom, Dick, and Harry Ford dealership. Annual production numbers on the Lightning maxed out somewhere around 8000 units I believe, which is fewer than the number of GT500's produced for '07.

Well, back then you didn't have to share your SVT allocation with every Tom, Dick, and Harry Ford dealership. Annual production numbers on the Lightning maxed out somewhere around 8000 units I believe, which is fewer than the number of GT500's produced for '07.

and thus pent up demand .......easy sell....and the truck was an absolute hoot...

I might be alone in this opinion, but I believe that trucks are not meant to be high powered street machines. They are over weight, front heavy and the power they produce just doesn't make it to the ground.

Thats probably why the Lightning, SS, and Dodge SRT10 are all gone now.

Although, they definitely make excellent trailer queen tow vehicles...

I think the Raptor is definitely a step in the right direction to get ahead of the competition at this point.

Edited by FoMoCobra

If they make the new Lightning then is it going to be on a Super Cab body? Didn't Ford quit making the standard flareside short bed way back when....???

Flareside maybe, but the '09 F-150 will see the return of a true standard cab without those silly little half "doorlets". They could use a styleside bed and still make it look mean.