2009 4.4 Diesel Ford Expedition

hindy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone confirm the 4.4 Diesel engine in the 2009 Ford Expedition? What implications does the contract with International have on the future of diesel engines in the light truck sector? Thanks

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0707...sels/index.html

based on what we see on sales end, this engine will AT BEST. be available in Job 2 of 2009 on F-150s, maybe Expeditions. More than likely will be 2010 MY.

nice article nonetheless.

thanks for posting it

First of all, welcome to BOF to both of you.

On topic, didn't Ford executives already confirm the 4.4 will be put in the Expedition?

Can anyone confirm the 4.4 Diesel engine in the 2009 Ford Expedition? What implications does the contract with International have on the future of diesel engines in the light truck sector? Thanks

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0707...sels/index.html

based on what we see on sales end, this engine will AT BEST. be available in Job 2 of 2009 on F-150s, maybe Expeditions. More than likely will be 2010 MY.

nice article nonetheless.

thanks for posting it

First of all, welcome to BOF to both of you.

On topic, didn't Ford executives already confirm the 4.4 will be put in the Expedition?

With the price of diesel nowadays ($3.58 here compared to $2.81 for gasoline), I see no reason for the average Joe to buy one. With the price of fuel and the extra maintenance expenses, it's just not worth it.

Edited by Pioneer

With the price of diesel nowadays ($3.58 here compared to $2.81 for gasoline), I see no reason for the average Joe to buy one. With the price of fuel and the extra maintenance expenses, it's just not worth it.

the one..and FEW benefits/ redeeming features I see for a diesel engine is that towing doesn't affect mileage as severly as that of a gasser...thus my arguments pertaining to the validity of diesels in sedans....which don't realistically tow anyways..

With the price of diesel nowadays ($3.58 here compared to $2.81 for gasoline), ...

Where do you live !

Gas in SE MI has been running from about $2.95 to $3.25 for the past few months. Diesel $3.25 to $3.75. No where near the spread you are talking about.

I see no reason for the average Joe to buy one. With the price of fuel and the extra maintenance expenses, it's just not worth it.

The new emission controls have really killed the mileage benefit, although (as others have pointed out) there is almost no difference when towing a full load.

"Break even point" is probably now well over 100K miles. I don't know that the 4.4L in a F150 will have the "cool factor" that PowerStroke has had in the SuperDuty so it might not help the residual value that much.

Look for the 4.4L in both F250 and E250. It will do very well in those vehicles.

Prices at my local station are currently:

Regular - $3.32

Midgrade - $3.49

Premium - $3.62

Diesel - $3.71

Diesel has been ~10 cents higher than premium for some time now.

Edited by rmc523

For the first time (in a long while) AZ is just about the cheapest place in the nation.

The two closest stations to my house: $3.079 and $3.019 for 87 octane.

No idea about diesel.

(I know I'm not contributing to the real discussion, I'm just "gloating" about our fuel prices...)

Scott

Hopefully the 4.4 Diesel will indeed get a good lead in sales before GM's 4.5 Diesel is released. I wonder how the 4.5 Diesel will perform in the H2 since the beast is so heavy.

They've been getting similar performance out of each. The layout of the engines is similar. GM's got integrated exhaust manifolds and some other neat features.

the emissions systems provide some interesting challenges. for example they plan ammonia injection (SCR). now you have to add that to your oil change routing.

I think they'll both be a hit. both are slated for truck applications. diesels can do allot of work at a lower RPM range on similar fuel consumption levels. you "drive" torque, not horsepower. so these should both find a good market if they meet the performance and reliability goals.

Edited by kpc655

For the first time (in a long while) AZ is just about the cheapest place in the nation.

No idea about diesel.

(I know I'm not contributing to the real discussion, I'm just "gloating" about our fuel prices...)

Scott

Nope NJ has you beat yet....$2.90 for regular and Deisel is around 3.50-60 a gallon ;)

They've been getting similar performance out of each. The layout of the engines is similar. GM's got integrated exhaust manifolds and some other neat features.

What do you mean by "integrated" ? I know it is a "reverse flow" (exhaust manifold is in the valley, intake on the outside of the engine). I also know that GM hired away a bunch of Ford diesel engineers a few years ago, so I'm guessing their 4.5L is the results.

the emissions systems provide some interesting challenges. for example they plan ammonia injection (SCR). now you have to add that to your oil change routing.

Last I heard, Ford was working hard not to have uera injection.

What do you mean by "integrated" ? I know it is a "reverse flow" (exhaust manifold is in the valley, intake on the outside of the engine). I also know that GM hired away a bunch of Ford diesel engineers a few years ago, so I'm guessing their 4.5L is the results.

Last I heard, Ford was working hard not to have uera injection.

Neither engine has the exhaust on the inward side. I think both would prefer not to go with urea injection..but from what i've seen they need some sort of SCR system to meet the emissions requirements.

good call on the engineering "exchange"..that is definitely evident.

No idea about diesel.

Scott

Im from new jersey... last time i checked it was still under $3.00 for regular :P