Keep Mercury Alive

Ford is committed to basing all product off of overseas designs. The chances of Ford ever designing a true American car for Mercury will die when the Grand Marquis goes out of production.

That is why the Sable is a goofy looking vehicle with a backwards drivetrain - it's all Ford can make now, and in the future.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford is committed to basing all product off of overseas designs. The chances of Ford ever designing a true American car for Mercury will die when the Grand Marquis goes out of production.

That is why the Sable is a goofy looking vehicle with a backwards drivetrain - it's all Ford can make now, and in the future.

Amen, brother.

I don't think the Sable looks all that bad other than the fact it looks bland compared to the Taurus.

My list of favorite mercury names

1. Mercury Comet

2. Mercury Sable

3. Mercury Cougar

4. Mercury Lynx

5. Mercury Bobcat

6. Mercury Panther

7. Mercury Park Lane

8. Mercury Cylcone

9. Mercury Monarch

10. Mercury M1

Mercury was known as the Cat back in the day and i would love to see Mercury name there next 4 vehicles ( if any are produced ) to be Cougar, Lynx, Panther and Bobcat because those names reflect that Mercury is indeed the sign of the cat and the Cat logo needs to be brought back.

It would be pretty awsome to see Mercury have 4 Cats in their lineup such as Cougar, Lynx, Panther and Bobcat. That would make all the other brands scared and run for there money, IF ITS DONE RIGHT.

And for god sakes... Bring back the Cougar animal advertising pitch!

Have Jill Wagner be the trainer!

1977CougarXR7.jpg

Jill would be great bringing in a real cougar into a new Cougar's advertisement, like Farah Fawcett did in the 70s

I think Farah is old enough now to be doing the Grand Marquis ads with her old gray pussy on a leash... :hysterical:

The Ford Mustang was almost the Ford Cougar....

1965-ford-mustang-prototypes-10.jpg

Doncha just love the caged Cougar emblem?

The Original Ford Cougar conept car:

1963FORDCOUGAR.jpg

The Mercury Messenger - The Cougar that could have been:

Mercury_Messenger_Concept_2003_8.jpg

Edited by Watchdevil

That's what I'm talking about!

I love that messenger concept as a cougar. How that didnt get greenlit I just dont know.

Also I go love the caged Cougar emblam, I think if they ever bring back a cougar they need to do some hybrid version between that one and the cat head, I love the cat head as its such a recognizable symbol.

FORD ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact remains the FWD Cougar was a sales bomb. It may have been a good car, and even a stylish car, but it was not a Mercury or a Cougar - it was a Ford Probe. It should have been sold as a Probe.

I couldn't agree more. When I was ready to trade my 1993 Cougar in 2001 I had every intent of buying a fwd Cougar despite the fact they were smaller and a hatchback--I liked the looks very much. However, there was no luxury. Many options availabe on my rwd Cougar were nowhere to be found. I ended up with a loaded Sable LS. While I have been happy with it, it was not what I really wanted.

I couldn't agree more. When I was ready to trade my 1993 Cougar in 2001 I had every intent of buying a fwd Cougar despite the fact they were smaller and a hatchback--I liked the looks very much. However, there was no luxury. Many options availabe on my rwd Cougar were nowhere to be found. I ended up with a loaded Sable LS. While I have been happy with it, it was not what I really wanted.

can you tell me what the options where? Because my cougars had more options than any 97 or before Cougar.

im just throwing this out there, since everyone seems to want mercury as a sports brand of ford. What if Mercury became rebadges of Mazda's instead of Fords.

Will Mazda allow this? i know they are mostly on the same platform but turning the 3 into a Lynx, the 6 into the Milan would help the sports cause for Mercury.

I still say do the Cougar based mustang, the Sable as the new Taurus.

Dont know what to do with an RX8, Capri? I wouldnt want it to hurt Cougar sales.

I still believe a luxury sport oriented Cougar based on a Mustang would be the way to go if it was to ever go again at all. It could be styled and equipped to appeal in a different way that would not work on a Mustang but be the epitome of what the original Cougar was all about.

I think a good example of how do to this right, is to look at the Chevy Corvette and the Cadillac XLR.

While the XLR is based off the Corvette, it looks nothing like it. It even has a very Cadillac Northstar engine under the hood, an engine not used in the Corvettes at all. The XLR's styling clues all say "this is a Cadillac" (and not a hint of being simply a re-badged Chevy).

IMHO, take the Mustang chassis, lengthen it by 6-to-12" (mostly going to the rear seat), make only a retractable hardtop version, put hide-away headlights on the front, and put a unique "hi tech" engine under the hood.

The "sign of the cat" has returned.

:bowdown:

Edited by Walt

How do you "keep" something alive that's already dead?

Sorry fans but Mercury has been dead a looooong time. It, like Plymouth and Olds, were alive in name only when they were killed. The last memorable Olds was the 80s 442 and even that one had a Chevy engine. Plymouth died in the 70s with the Duster (but briefly shared success with Dodge w/ Reliant and Voyager). Fans like to mention "Cougar" as the salvation. "If only Ford would make the Mustang into a Cougar..." You're forgetting that the 40 year-old first generation Cougar is the only one that anyone remembers. Would anyone really miss Mercury other than some hobbyists?

Is it true what I've read that transaction prices for Mercurys are actually less than comparable Fords at the retail level? Is that why we need Jill Wagner pleading with the public to "put Mercury on your list" because hardly anyone cares?

Dead brand walking.

Sorry fans but Mercury has been dead a looooong time. It, like Plymouth and Olds, were alive in name only when they were killed. The last memorable Olds was the 80s 442 and even that one had a Chevy engine. Plymouth died in the 70s with the Duster (but briefly shared success with Dodge w/ Reliant and Voyager). Fans like to mention "Cougar" as the salvation. "If only Ford would make the Mustang into a Cougar..." You're forgetting that the 40 year-old first generation Cougar is the only one that anyone remembers. Would anyone really miss Mercury other than some hobbyists?

Is it true what I've read that transaction prices for Mercurys are actually less than comparable Fords at the retail level? Is that why we need Jill Wagner pleading with the public to "put Mercury on your list" because hardly anyone cares?

Dead brand walking.

Mercury is certainly not dead yet!

Dead brand walking.

Plymouth has been pointless for a long time. As long as there were popular Dodge vehicles there was a reason to keep Plymouth with all it's badge engineered cars to keep Chrysler dealers busy. Plymouth only made an individual statement a long time ago with Barracuda's and Dusters.

Oldsmobile is dead because the sales hit of the Cutlass lost steam going into the 1980's with the nameplate spread to various bodystyles and platforms. The Cutlass become irrelavent and old school while people switched to quality import sedans and quite a few new Tauruses staring with 1986. No one was really ever interested in smaller Oldsmobiles that were clones of smaller Chevy products. Oldsmobile retained some of the older buyer demographic with the 88/98 series but they jumped to Buick when they abandoned those models for the Aurora models. Thats when Oldsmobile really died.

Mercury is pretty much a dead brand as it is now. Mercury hasn't had a hit with a younger demographic since the 1983-88 Cougar. When the Cougar was redesigned for 1989 it never retained the momentum. The popularity of SUV's and four door sedans picked up as people opted for lifestyle vehicles that carried passengers and had more utility. The market for luxury sport two door coupes dried completely away. The Grand Marquis captured the retirement crowd who wanted Lincoln-like distinction without the big price tag while no one really cared about cars like the Topez, Mystique, Sable and newer Cougar variants. There was nothing really outstanding or unique to appeal in a different or special way to draw people to the brand.

For Mercury to exist now they would have to have uniquely styled and targeted products that it does not share with Ford while retaining a price point and attracting a contemporary youthfulness that perhaps the Lincoln nameplate does not attend to. To me it's hard to imagine Lincoln as a brand that attracts anything but the very mature Ford loyalists who remember the exclusitivity of it's past. Now Lincoln has a challenge capturing people who would otherwise choose the traditional luxury import brands people are comfortable with now. With those people, Lincoln really has no meaning or significance unless they were impacted by the image of the Navigator. And now the Navigator is a has-been on it's way to extinction with high gas prices the way they are. I would not be surprised to see it dropped soon since the MKX has hit the market and the alternative MKT takes over with it's smaller carlike virtures. Town Car dead... They should not have even wasted one penny bringing production over from Wixom to Canada.

The Ford brand itself was well on it's way to extinction and the only salvation was Mustangs, SUV's and trucks. Thse vehicles stayed true to themselves while retaining loyal customer base while attracting newer buyers. Ford has a lot of repositioning to do to get people to buy smaller cars and it's larger sedans. The challenge is to give people a reason to look at Ford first and give them an emotional and visually impacting reason to choose a Ford rather than make cars that slap a Ford badge and grille on composite import look-alike designs. Ford may be making the best quality and safest platforms in the world but is not as apparent visually. With no compelling reason to choose a Ford over a Toyota or Honda people will stay with what they think in their minds is the safest risk in terms of reliability and resale value.

If I was in the market right now for a large four door sedan or a small youthful economy car, Ford would not even be on my list. The new Fiesta would and I would consider the Focus if it was more in line with the Euro models. The Fusion appeals to me with it's 427 Concept influence but there are a quite a few detail things that could make it better.

The 2010 Taurus would make a statement if they would just ditch the has-been composite import look for something inspired by the hopes of the Interceptor Concept that speaks Ford design... not VW or Hyundai.

Edited by Watchdevil

Olds and Plymouth died, because they no longer offered anything unique. All they had, were re-badged nearly-identical vehicles also sold by other divisions.

I think what we are offering here, is that Mercury needs its own unique models. Many have offered different ways of achieving that goal. For example, Mercury does not need simply a re-badged Mustang. It needs its own personal luxury sports car. Could it be based off some off the unique Mustang platform? Possibly. But it should not be a Mustang clone, and it should not directly compete against the Mustang.

Maybe Mercury should look for inspiration from Mazda instead of the Ford division? Should Mercury have a small SUV based off the Mazda Tribute instead of the Ford Escape (joke here)? Should Mercury have a cross-over based off the Mazda CX7/CX9 instead of the Ford Edge?

I am not sure, other than it needs a range of models which are unique.

Olds and Plymouth died, because they no longer offered anything unique. All they had, were re-badged nearly-identical vehicles also sold by other divisions.

I think what we are offering here, is that Mercury needs its own unique models. Many have offered different ways of achieving that goal. For example, Mercury does not need simply a re-badged Mustang. It needs its own personal luxury sports car. Could it be based off some off the unique Mustang platform? Possibly. But it should not be a Mustang clone, and it should not directly compete against the Mustang.

Maybe Mercury should look for inspiration from Mazda instead of the Ford division? Should Mercury have a small SUV based off the Mazda Tribute instead of the Ford Escape (joke here)? Should Mercury have a cross-over based off the Mazda CX7/CX9 instead of the Ford Edge?

I am all for the Mustand based Cougar and the Mazda rebadges instead of mainly ford ones.

Mercury has never been much more than a tarted up Ford.

If Ford actually had the capital to create a unique lineup of vehicles that went beyond new front and rear clips and different seat upholstery, why would it attach a hoary old name with no relevance/recognition to today's buyers to them? If Ford actually created a lineup of truly unique vehicles wouldn't they give them to Lincoln? Of course they would. But it won't happen. Say your last respects for the brand that's been dead for over 20 years. You won't miss it when its gone.

Mercury has never been much more than a tarted up Ford.

If Ford actually had the capital to create a unique lineup of vehicles that went beyond new front and rear clips and different seat upholstery, why would it attach a hoary old name with no relevance/recognition to today's buyers to them? If Ford actually created a lineup of truly unique vehicles wouldn't they give them to Lincoln? Of course they would. But it won't happen. Say your last respects for the brand that's been dead for over 20 years. You won't miss it when its gone.

Yeah, speak for yourself buddy. I am not asking for a unique product completely, if we all had your mentalility Lincoln, Mercury, Pontiac, Buick, Plymouth, Oldmobile, Saturn (you get my point) wouldnt have exsisted and you need to appeal to people that just wont by the orginal product.

Mercury loyalist dont just consist of the folks on this board, the Mercury product if killed will be missed by many.

I think a good example of how do to this right, is to look at the Chevy Corvette and the Cadillac XLR.

While the XLR is based off the Corvette, it looks nothing like it. It even has a very Cadillac Northstar engine under the hood, an engine not used in the Corvettes at all. The XLR's styling clues all say "this is a Cadillac" (and not a hint of being simply a re-badged Chevy).

Yes, but by most accounts, the XLR has been a failure. I wouldn't really use that example as a model for Mercury.

As I mentioned on another thread, I think a possible way to go for Mercury would be to not necessarily place them BELOW Lincoln, but as a sister brand to it. Lincoln has a rather stodgy reputation. Even with wonderfully balanced sports sedans like the LS, Lincoln failed to garner much in the way of sales. Would it be possible to perhaps let Lincoln keep the "traditional" vehicles in its lineup while giving some of the more exciting stuff to Mercury? They could still very much utilize platform sharing, but by giving them vastly different personalities (somewhat like your XLR/Corvette comparison) would they be able to co-exist? They already share marketing departments, management, and dealerships anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

they need a retro cougar based on the mustang, but upscale. the euro-trash has never sold, it aint gonna sell now either no matter how much you hype it. if people want euro cars, they have VW, BMW and such. a lot of people out there want American cars to be American.

the 83-88 T-bird/Cougar was a fox body like the Mustang and Capri, and small-size LTD, and Small Marquis, and Mark7, and the RWD Continental, and the Fairmont... yet they were all distinct models, and they were profitable. the fairmont wagon didnt look or drive like the SVO Mustang, an the BMW turbo-diesel Continental wasnt much like the Capri, but they were all related with great platform sharing.

Ford cant afford to have 20 different models on 13 different chassis designs.

you hate the panther platform, complaining its only for the old, but go to crownvic.net and the average age is in the low 20s, you say they need to go since they are gas guzzlers, yet they get better mileage than the taurus/sable that are touted to replace them.(and are cheaper and yet profitable)

as old as they are (03?) they make money in fleet sales, livery, police etc are cash cows, and they pay for the euro-experiments that flail time after time. the FWD cars could be done on two platforms, small and mid, you could have 20 cars between the two, three to five cars from the mustang platform (a Lincoln included) could be made including a ranchero (ute) RWD has an important place in the lineup.

sub-compacts are going to be big for a couple of years again, run with it, the FWD small chassis, but there is more to the world than that.

Ford, fiesta/edge/Mustang/Taurus-500/Interceptor-LTD/Ranchero/explorer/light duty F-series

Mercury, Lynx/sable/Cougar/Marquis/Mountaineer

Lincoln, Mark/Continental/Town Car. (no trucks)

the fiesta/edge and lynx could share a platform (you could have two to four additional models each, and/or use a Mazda platform)

Taurus/sable /minivans would share a platform (design AWD as an option, and make it small diesel capable)

mustang/Ranchero/cougar/mark/Continental would share a platform, a provision for AWD would be a plus for the ranchero and Continental as well. obviously V-8 capable, also small diesel capable

the Interceptor/Marquis/TownCar could be built on the current panther frame, but all new bodies, the current platform is light and efficient, and trusted by fleet buyers. the ford and merc need a wagon. the current chassis is v-10 capable, a possible option for limo/livery

four platforms supporting a rich and diverse lineup

Explorer/Mountaineer/light F-series share a platform

superduty 250-550/E-series

a base like this could be supported for a decade without wasting resources.

the small FWD cars for entry-level and FWD purists.

the mid FWD/AWD cars could reach many markets if done correctly. (the Continental should be built as the BMW/Lexus/MB equal with a V-8, and both Lincoln sedans could be suicide-door capable think 61-69 )

RWD cars have their place for people who like American style cars,large families and fleet buyers who require sturdy and powerful platforms.

they need a retro cougar based on the mustang, but upscale. the euro-trash has never sold, it aint gonna sell now either no matter how much you hype it. if people want euro cars, they have VW, BMW and such. a lot of people out there want American cars to be American.

the 83-88 T-bird/Cougar was a fox body like the Mustang and Capri, and small-size LTD, and Small Marquis, and Mark7, and the RWD Continental, and the Fairmont... yet they were all distinct models, and they were profitable. the fairmont wagon didnt look or drive like the SVO Mustang, an the BMW turbo-diesel Continental wasnt much like the Capri, but they were all related with great platform sharing.

Ford cant afford to have 20 different models on 13 different chassis designs.

you hate the panther platform, complaining its only for the old, but go to crownvic.net and the average age is in the low 20s, you say they need to go since they are gas guzzlers, yet they get better mileage than the taurus/sable that are touted to replace them.(and are cheaper and yet profitable)

as old as they are (03?) they make money in fleet sales, livery, police etc are cash cows, and they pay for the euro-experiments that flail time after time. the FWD cars could be done on two platforms, small and mid, you could have 20 cars between the two, three to five cars from the mustang platform (a Lincoln included) could be made including a ranchero (ute) RWD has an important place in the lineup.

sub-compacts are going to be big for a couple of years again, run with it, the FWD small chassis, but there is more to the world than that.

Ford, fiesta/edge/Mustang/Taurus-500/Interceptor-LTD/Ranchero/explorer/light duty F-series

Mercury, Lynx/sable/Cougar/Marquis/Mountaineer

Lincoln, Mark/Continental/Town Car. (no trucks)

the fiesta/edge and lynx could share a platform (you could have two to four additional models each, and/or use a Mazda platform)

Taurus/sable /minivans would share a platform (design AWD as an option, and make it small diesel capable)

mustang/Ranchero/cougar/mark/Continental would share a platform, a provision for AWD would be a plus for the ranchero and Continental as well. obviously V-8 capable, also small diesel capable

the Interceptor/Marquis/TownCar could be built on the current panther frame, but all new bodies, the current platform is light and efficient, and trusted by fleet buyers. the ford and merc need a wagon. the current chassis is v-10 capable, a possible option for limo/livery

four platforms supporting a rich and diverse lineup

Explorer/Mountaineer/light F-series share a platform

superduty 250-550/E-series

a base like this could be supported for a decade without wasting resources.

the small FWD cars for entry-level and FWD purists.

the mid FWD/AWD cars could reach many markets if done correctly. (the Continental should be built as the BMW/Lexus/MB equal with a V-8, and both Lincoln sedans could be suicide-door capable think 61-69 )

RWD cars have their place for people who like American style cars,large families and fleet buyers who require sturdy and powerful platforms.

Damn you and your common sense! banplz.gif

Saving Mercury is as simple as moving (and aligning) the brand as a luxury step up from Mazda...look at the Mazda line and see where Mercury dovetails into it and moves upward both size and luxury wise. Sure the Mazda 6 and Milan share a common platform, but park them next to each other and they are as different as night and day. The only other overlap is in the Tribute/Mariner platform....easy fix there too....drop the Tribute as Mazda already has the CX7 and CX9 and keep the Mariner in the lineup.

I hope that with the new Flex....Taurus X goes up-market and becomes Sable X, of even Mountaineer.

Edited by twintornados