Transit Connect Taxi

You would think the "panther mafia" would embrace the idea of a Transit Connect Taxi to replace Crown Victoria....that would make Crown Victoria a more desired vehicle since you don't see thousands of them on the streets of large urban cities doing grunt work. Instead, they would be sought after as the affordable luxury vehicle they originally were designed to be.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think the "panther mafia" would embrace the idea of a Transit Connect Taxi to replace Crown Victoria....that would make Crown Victoria a more desired vehicle since you don't see thousands of them on the streets of large urban cities doing grunt work. Instead, they would be sought after as the affordable luxury vehicle they originally were designed to be.

But in order for that to happen (affordable luxury vehicle) Ford needs to bring back the LTD designation and start opening up the vast array of options, interior/exterior trim, seating, and colors to boot like they did in the past. AND FOR GOD'S SAKES... BUILD A 2 DOOR AGAIN!

Nobody likes to sit in a vehicle all the time with thin flimsy felt like upholstery and headliners all the time. I sure as hell don't.

Ford has given up on that market - hence the reason that Lincoln is being taken down-market, and squeezing Mercury out.

The rule of thumb for Ford products is if it cannot be cobbed together off of an "international" platform, it won't exist in a few years.

Ford of North America will be nothing but the F-150 and the marketing arm for foreign vehicles.

How is this any different than Toyota using the sienna as a Taxi?

Well, for starters, it's smaller and lighter, and more fuel-efficient.

Then there's the raised roof-height, which has been an ear-mark of primarily dedicated commercial-use vehicles.

This feature alone adds utility and ease of use to such a degree that the Sienna is not really competitive; a Chrysler Town & Country would do just as well, which also isn't good enough. They are both good sleds, but in this case, roof height is the winner.

Then there's the raised roof-height, which has been an ear-mark of primarily dedicated commercial-use vehicles.

This feature alone adds utility and ease of use to such a degree that the Sienna is not really competitive; a Chrysler Town & Country would do just as well, which also isn't good enough. They are both good sleds, but in this case, roof height is the winner.

Good Points

I think Ford wants different product for fleet sales and consumer sales as well. If you sell TC to taxi companies and Flexes to consumers, then resale prices for the Flex will stay good after the taxi companies start dumping used 2 yr. old TC on the market with 200,000 miles on them.

I'd be also willing to bet that the TC is "tougher" platform better suited for this type of work vs Sienna or Chrysler minivan

Great, with the disco ball hanging in it, you should have plenty of room to party, and it will make a good impression when you arrive at the red-carpet movie premiers.

In other words a new replacement for the green vehicle's at Sundance! Stay tuned to Brokeback Mountain Part II

brokebackmountain25jh.jpg

I'd be also willing to bet that the TC is "tougher" platform better suited for this type of work vs Sienna or Chrysler minivan

IIRC, it was originally based on C170 Focus,

Can't find any info that says it was updated to C1.

Edited by jpd80

Well, yeah...it uses the ancient technology like a full frame. I wonder how many curbs it can jump?

I don't know...I guess I just don't see the fact that Ford imported a 4-seat minivan as anything but confusing.

Didn't you all say the the Ford xB was going to be the Taxi of choice?

Well, yeah...it uses the ancient technology like a full frame. I wonder how many curbs it can jump?

I don't know...I guess I just don't see the fact that Ford imported a 4-seat minivan as anything but confusing.

Where on earth do you get the idea that this vehicle uses a full frame? She is built "tough" but it does not have a full frame like the panthers do...

http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/transitconnect/t...el_over/-/-/-/-

The Transit Connect will make a very good choice for Taxi/Livery service.

You're entitled to your obviously myopic opinion, but the TC is not Ford's xB, for 2 reasons: 1) they don't look alike; and 2) the xB sucks.

xB_xB2_comp01.jpgWKA2008031950846_pv.jpg

The Transit Connect is about 300lbs heavier but has a smaller engine with less horsepower and torque than the little Scion.

They don't look alike, the Transit Connect is even uglier than the Scion. It's even worse with the primered fender yellow door taxi package. I can see people waving these off and waiting for a real taxi instead of getting in something that looks like a circus clown car.

That's the whole thing, its not a Minivan, its a small courier Van.

There you go assuming again...Ford is going to destroy the value of a product that starts in the 20s range to dump them on fleets, when they got a cheap/realible platform in the Transit Connect that can do the same thing that doesnt affect the retail side of the house, since 90% of TC sales will be to business/retail fleets (not rentals!)

The Transit Connect is about 300lbs heavier but has a smaller engine with less horsepower and torque than the little Scion.

They don't look alike, the Transit Connect is even uglier than the Scion. It's even worse with the primered fender yellow door taxi package. I can see people waving these off and waiting for a real taxi instead of getting in something that looks like a circus clown car.

Ever try to get a taxi in NYC?? I don't believe anyone will be "waving it off" when it pulls up to the curb. I would not buy it for personal transportation, but it makes allot of sense to the small delivery/courier/taxi market. Small, economical to operate, nimble to maneuver, easy to get in to and out of, and a straightforward design. Not too many negatives to it for it's intended market.