Ford establishes 100,000 annual Flex sales goal

ManFord

Ford establishes 100,000 annual Flex sales goal

LeftlaneNews

April 11, 2008

2009-ford-flex.jpg

The Ford Flex, due to go on sale this summer, will be built at the rate of 100,000 units per year, and Ford brass is confident it can sell all the crossovers it can make. Jim Farley, Ford's group VP of marketing and communications, said on Friday it is "absolutely" possible for the sales goal to be reached.

More at Link:http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-establish...sales-goal.html

Edited by ManFord

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...seems a little optimistic to me. They must have some pretty good market research in hand that we don't know about. Initial estimates were far more conservative.

I'm excited to see what kind of marketing Farley has planned for this vehicle..

they have a little flexibility in that - the 08 will be only a 1/2 year so they do not have to hit that number in 08 - and 09 will probably be a much more stable year economically for the country.

finally- remember - the Edge sold 120k units and that is with the MKX stealing the top end - Flex will have no Lincoln to take away the buyers looking for a fully loaded model. Moreover it is a "white space" model (or at least can be marketed as such) so it will stand out in people's minds more than Edge.

I think this is a healthy optimism and will probably be met with good response from corporate about launch campaign, and a good response from the consumers - consumers like taking mood from ads - if you sound confident in your product - they think you truly have a reason to be confident, and they are impressed - look at the CR-V and Accord ads - they barely say anything substantial about the car - jsut "look at this awesome car we can sell you - we know you want it - come get it" and people eat it up.

Finally, like Edge, the Flex is testing incredibly well in California and on the rest of the coasts - typical import territories - this market is untapped for Ford and the Flex can become a pretty big fad in these markets as the "new big thing" - making a statement "being different" and all the other moronic stuff people with money in snobby coastal cities and suburbs like doing.

Igor

Edited by igor

I have a feeling that the increase in gas prices and the subsequent drop in traditional SUV sales had a lot to do with Ford upping the estimate.

Add to that the lack of a minivan and the demise of the Taurus X and Ford could get close.

I doubt they'll hit 100K, but 70-80K would be pretty good. Give the OUTLOOK/Acadia some segment competition.

They're expecting to average ove 8,000 sales/month?

That's either a lot of conquest sales or canabalising its own product sales.

Brave product move, interesting to see if this works.:)

The only products it would cannabilize is the Explorer and Taurus X. Both of which Ford hates...so, no loss there (in their eyes).

Let's keep in mind this is a production goal too, not U.S. sales. This will at least be sold in Canada, possibly Mexico too.

Everytime I look at this car I think does it really have appeal in the US? I think it looks like a fusion between a MINI and a Range Rover, which is a very bad thing as who would try and cross the two?

But looks are subjective and I'm not an American and so I look at it through European eyes. I also hate the new BMW X6 but plenty of people will buy it. Do other people think it looks right?

Finally, like Edge, the Flex is testing incredibly well in California and on the rest of the coasts - typical import territories - this market is untapped for Ford and the Flex can become a pretty big fad in these markets as the "new big thing" - making a statement "being different" and all the other moronic stuff people with money in snobby coastal cities and suburbs like doing.

Igor

LOL. i'm sort of the anti-snob but I definitely agree with the gist of what you're saying. if they can (and will) steal a bunch of sales from all over, as well as creating their OWN niche not yet seen in other vehicles, then the Flex will definitely be a success. 100,000? maybe a bit generous in year one, but we saw Edge jump to the forefront of sales so why not? and like others said maybe they know something we don't.

I can see a lot of people buying this for many different reasons and/or as alternatives to replace a number of different vehicles. former minivan owners, small to mid SUV owners, Freestyle owners, defunct/aging vehicle (i.e. Pacifica, PT Cruiser) owners, people looking for something not so plasticky or soul-less as an Element but still utilitarian, and finally a people mover that gets much better gas mileage and handles better than a full-sized van or SUV. and then there are those that simply want the latest and greatest new fangled thing on the block and don't care who makes it as long as it feels good and drives solid, and makes people look like Igor referred to above :finger: good build quality and reliability with decent gas mileage add more buyers to that group.

Everytime I look at this car I think does it really have appeal in the US? I think it looks like a fusion between a MINI and a Range Rover, which is a very bad thing as who would try and cross the two?

But looks are subjective and I'm not an American and so I look at it through European eyes. I also hate the new BMW X6 but plenty of people will buy it. Do other people think it looks right?

I think most people in the U.S. have no clue what an X6 is and won't until one comes up and smacks them in the rear, even where I live where every third car on the road seems to be a BMW (or Mercedes).

I always thought the X5 was much too square in the rear, but they already fixed that with a redesign. thus I, so far, haven't figured out the need in the U.S. market for an X6 except as a slightly "sport" version of the X5

Wow, I was thinking more in the lines of 50-60K... And as it stands, I'm sure this is one of their higher profitting vehicles considering it's roots.

I'm with granma - er -Antaus ;). I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they hit 80K in the first 12 months. I think it'll be hurt by a combination of its price and the price of gas, although I'd love to buy one if I had a spare $40-45K lying around - I qrew up in wagons and enjoyed my mom's '67 Country Squire: 390 2bbl, rear-facing 3rd seat, and Magic 2-way tailgate :). After all, the Flex really is the CS, reborn.

I think most people in the U.S. have no clue what an X6 is and won't until one comes up and smacks them in the rear.

Damn BMW drivers! Think they own the road!

:D

Edited by syrtran

Compared to Minivans (Chrysler Town & Country, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, etc) what would you rather drive? The only thing I see hurting it besides the lack of sliders (which probably won't hurt it and may even help it), is the lack of 3 wide 3rd row seating. The 3rd row is typically for kids. People in the market for this size of vehicle (soccer mom car poolers) will want 3 wide 3rd row seating. Other then that, I see it doing very well.

Compared to Minivans (Chrysler Town & Country, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, etc) what would you rather drive? The only thing I see hurting it besides the lack of sliders (which probably won't hurt it and may even help it), is the lack of 3 wide 3rd row seating. The 3rd row is typically for kids. People in the market for this size of vehicle (soccer mom car poolers) will want 3 wide 3rd row seating. Other then that, I see it doing very well.

That is all fine and good if you have small children, but unfortunately a lot those third row are designed for 3 children or zero teenagers. I just brought a Taurus X because I have 2 kids aged 11 and 13 and I wanted a vehicle where I could put extra teens in the back. 8 seat belts mean nothing if there is only room for 5. A vehicle is a least a 5 year investment, so the question you really should ask you self, is not do my kids fit back there now, it is will my kids fit back there in 5 years. To put that in prospective, in 5 years I will be packing my son off to college.

I think the Flex is targeting a slightly older demographic than you realize. Now that we don't have car seats and we don't need minivans and we are looking for hipper vehicles. Of course in our children's eye we are inversely hipper.

Compared to Minivans (Chrysler Town & Country, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, etc) what would you rather drive?

A minivan...heres why:

The Flex has some pretty big things going against it.

First, no sliders as you mentioned. Why Ford went cheap-o on the doors like that was a bad idea. One of the greatest things about the minivan is sliding doors. They open a huge space on the vehicle while taking up very little space. In addition to that, most minivans can be equipped with power sliding doors...making opening and closing for parents who have their hands full much easier. Ford, not putting sliding doors on their 'minivan' replacement is a huge step backwards.

Second, it is not that big. A typical minivan can hold a max of 130-140 cubic feet of cargo. Ford's 'minivan' replacement can only carry a dismal, Explorer like 83 cubic feet. Hell, the Ford Focus Wagon could hold a max of 73 cubic feet...and that was a compact wagon, and the much hated (by Ford) Taurus X can hold 85 cubic feet of stuff...2 cubic feet MORE than the Flex. And the Taurus X holds more stuff with the rear seats up, 17.4 Cu.Ft. versus 15 Cu.Ft. for the Flex.

The name. All I heard at the auto show was sheeple thinking that because it is named Flex, that it could run on a number of different fuels...when in actuality, it can only run on ONE type of fuel.

And it's ugly

Edited by P71_CrownVic