5.0L in the new Mustang

Ford-150

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that a N/A PFI D35 makes 265 hp on regular, and the rumor mill has the Ford version of the D37 making 275 or so HP on regular, there's no reason to suspect that a D37 3.7L DOHC GDI v6 will require premium to make 300 hp as GDI is normally viewed as adding about 10% to the performance numbers of a given engine when properly tuned.

For comparison, take a look at the powerplant in the Lexus IS350, the Infiniti G37 and the GM 3.6L High Feature V6 in the Cadillac CTS. The D35 is a very efficient engine family. It will make it on regular. A premium tune would have it up with the G37's v6.

A 300 HP DI 3.7 is testing very well. It may be the next base engine. Should make a nice balanced package for fe/performance.

The 5.0 425 PFI Mod will be a much more balanced package than a 5.7 Hemi. I doubt that buyers of the Challenger are looking for a fuel economy car. It will be a collector/Barret Jackson car.

Last I heard that engine was making 330hp or so on regular gas, so I'm guessing the fuel economy thugs had their way with the engine in the last 6 months.

300hp is quite adequate for a DI V6, especially if the mileage is right. The MKS and MKZ need this engine far more than the Mustang does.

The new Challenger is unimpressive to me, it's a huge, fat-ass of a family sedan in pony car duds. If the Camaro is going to be of similar weight to the new Challenger, I can honestly see why Ford moved back 5.0 4V.

Let the Camaro and Challenger eat up the headlines in 2010, then steal all of their thunder in 2011.

And to top it off, in Edmund's photos I think the Bullitt has a more aggressive road presence.

The new Challenger is unimpressive to me, it's a huge, fat-ass of a family sedan in pony car duds. If the Camaro is going to be of similar weight to the new Challenger, I can honestly see why Ford moved back 5.0 4V.

Let the Camaro and Challenger eat up the headlines in 2010, then steal all of their thunder in 2011.

And to top it off, in Edmund's photos I think the Bullitt has a more aggressive road presence.

Maybe they'll tune the 4.6 in the GT to the Bullitt specs for 2010?

Edited by suv_guy_19

I love how Edmunds awards the victory to the Challenger by "3 points". Because, you know, the Challenger really is THREE POINTS better than the Mustang.

Those scoring systems are about as useful as hip pockets on a shirt.

====

Was interesting too that the Bullitt outdid the Challenger in the slalom--modification of that suspension should make the 'Stang quite the tossable little car compared to the Challenger & Camaro.

Plus no $2100 gas guzzler penalty on the Bullitt....

I love how Edmunds awards the victory to the Challenger by "3 points". Because, you know, the Challenger really is THREE POINTS better than the Mustang.

Those scoring systems are about as useful as hip pockets on a shirt.

====

Was interesting too that the Bullitt outdid the Challenger in the slalom--modification of that suspension should make the 'Stang quite the tossable little car compared to the Challenger & Camaro.

my holy grail....power to weight.....

Edmonds now has a Challenger SRT vs. Mustang Bullitt test on-line.

So there you have it. A 100+ HP advantage doesn't mean too much when you're driving an overweight slug.

If that 4.6L had a 90 cid. Eaton blower on it the Challenger would be toast. The GT500 owners won't be loosing any sleep over this.

It will be toast with a PFI 5.0 and much worse with the GDI hair blower version. Don't need no stinkin 90 CI.

Why is it that the Bullitt with 3:73s has no GG tax but the same engine in the S-GT with 3:55s does.

I recently asked a Ford powertrain engineer and two Ford reps and no one knew. Any insights?

Dan

Plus there's neat stuff like 2007-08 SVT MUSTANG HANDLING PACK to make it even more tossable. :)

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9924

I heard the Bullitt already has some handling pieces from the FRP bin but dunno if they're from that kit or not. I thought the struts, shocks and bars are essentially the FRP pieces the S-GT gets at SAI but done at AAI, but I'm not certain of that. Anyone?

my holy grail....power to weight.....

Ditto. Im not impressed with the challenger. Too heavy, too expensive, and too thirsty. It wont last but a few years anyway imo. I do think its sexy looking as all get out but no way I would consider one.

Why is it that the Bullitt with 3:73s has no GG tax but the same engine in the S-GT with 3:55s does.

I recently asked a Ford powertrain engineer and two Ford reps and no one knew. Any insights?

Dan

Tune maybe? Honestly, I have no clue but thats a good question. I would rather have the bullitt anyday all things considered.

Tune maybe? Honestly, I have no clue but thats a good question. I would rather have the bullitt anyday all things considered.

personally if i was in the market for the Stang its BULLITT all the way.....understated class...green please.....

Dan

Gas guzzler tax is when a vehicle fails to meet certain minimum mileage figures. The Bullitt meets them (as does the Shelby GT), the GT500 and Roush beasts do not. I would venture to guess the Bullitt/Shelby GT mileage figures are only a few % lower than the stock GT.

Gas guzzler tax is when a vehicle fails to meet certain minimum mileage figures. The Bullitt meets them (as does the Shelby GT), the GT500 and Roush beasts do not. I would venture to guess the Bullitt/Shelby GT mileage figures are only a few % lower than the stock GT.

and that small % could probably be EASILY negated by a good set of JBA headers and cleaning up parasitic losses......

school? ive been out of school for 25 years...20 years if you consider university degrees...whats so hard about high HP and high MPG?....and why would i buy a ford product with old engines in it...its why i wont consider a new 2009 f150...

I really hope that by now you've realized that the F150 will get all new engines in about a year...

I really hope that by now you've realized that the F150 will get all new engines in about a year...

seems like the "school" hes refering too had crayons and sandpits.....like I said High HP and MPGS don't esactly go hand in hand....performance and MPG's on the other hand can.....

seems like the "school" hes refering too had crayons and sandpits.....like I said High HP and MPGS don't esactly go hand in hand....performance and MPG's on the other hand can.....

then my monies will go to the company that can..old way of thinking is gone

You may have to wait a long time.

This isn't an argument. Go visit some dynomemeter sites. "High" horsepower requires rpm's, and more rpms require more gasoline. You can only lean it out so much, even with VVT and DI.

On the other hand, you can design for maximum torque, and take advantage of 6+ speed transmissions, turbos, VVT and DI, and you get the AUDI tacing diesels. No great horsepower, but Godzilla-grade torque. Wins races. That's how you get performance and economy, these days. Think of it as a new way of thinking.

img071.jpg

Edited by Edstock

You may have to wait a long time.

This isn't an argument. Go visit some dynomemeter sites. "High" horsepower requires rpm's, and more rpms require more gasoline. You can only lean it out so much, even with VVT and DI.

On the other hand, you can design for maximum torque, and take advantage of 6+ speed transmissions, turbos, VVT and DI, and you get the AUDI tacing diesels. No great horsepower, but Godzilla-grade torque. Wins races. That's how you get performance and economy, these days. Think of it as a new way of thinking.

img071.jpg

i fully understand the concept..point is ford has to start thinking in new directions..if they do not yoda will steal more % of the american car market from ford...this i do not want to happen......never owned foreign other then my 74 super beetle...sure as hell aint buying yoda....but what really pisses me off is yoda seems to be the techno leader while ford scrapes by on has been technology...i want a fucking techo modern vehicle from ford that the minions buy in droves..nor new models with old fucking engines..i swear the company i love has its head up its ass...rant off

name one vehicle that fits your :"needs"......price/ performance/ Horsepower and mileage......just one, remeber you have already touted the Challenger....all 14 mpgs of it.....

i fully understand the concept..point is ford has to start thinking in new directions..if they do not yoda will steal more % of the american car market from ford...this i do not want to happen......never owned foreign other then my 74 super beetle...sure as hell aint buying yoda....but what really pisses me off is yoda seems to be the techno leader while ford scrapes by on has been technology...i want a fucking techo modern vehicle from ford that the minions buy in droves..nor new models with old fucking engines..i swear the company i love has its head up its ass...rant off

Only one I see with a head up his ass is you.