Interceptor to become part of New Lincoln town & Queen Victoria

salsakingcpa

do you think, he would just throw away all the expertise AU has developed with the Falcon>

Let me start by saying I mean no offense to the "Boys Down Under" I have known several of them for many years (including at least one that has escaped to the US).

But, "What expertise !"

FoA is so understaffed it is ridiculous ! 20+ years ago, when some of their engineers came to the US their eyes popped out of their heads. Their entire engineering organization would have easily fit into 1 on the many engineering building in Dearborn. And since then, they have continued to shrink.

They leached off of staff in the Powertrain controls area for the 10+ years. They couldn't even hire qualified computer administrators and any time there was any discussion about head count transfer all we ever got was a big sob story.

Yes, the boys down in Geelong make some nice cars, but when you have one engineer in charge of all front end accessory drive, water pumps, radiators, alternators, PS pump, and every other thing thing related for the entire product line :drop: they just can't compete on a worldwide basis. They rely entirely too much on their supplier doing their engineering. Of course when supplier A'a prt don't work with supplier B's part who going to fix it ?

Sorry, you hit a raw nerve ! I spent too many "second shifts" in my career, bailing them out, and get no pay or even thanks in return.

Curious, I'm wondering when your last contact with FoA was?

I ask because the new FG Falcon's Auto trans is from FoE and the powertrains are going fron the local I-6s to FNA V6s in 2010.

That would suggest that either FoE has done the power train work or FNA continued assisting?

The FGII with it V6 engines is now signed off for 2010 so, do we have you to thank for the incredibly smooth FG Falcon?

FoA is half way through T6 light truck project, they're lead engineers.

FORD AUSTRALIA ANNOUNCES MAJOR NEW PROJECTS

Ford Motor Company Executive Chairman Dedicates New R&D Centre in Geelong

Ford Motor Company Executive Chairman Mr Bill Ford today joined with Victorian State Premier, the Hon Steve Bracks and Federal Minister for Industry, Tourism & Resources, the Hon Ian Macfarlane to officially dedicate the company’s new Research & Development Centre currently under construction in Geelong.

FordMotorCompanyExecutiveChairmanDedicatesNewRDCentreinGeelong_0_a.jpg

“This new Research & Development Centre will allow Ford Australia to continue developing world-class vehicles for Australia and overseas markets,” said Mr Ford.

“The Ford Australia team is in a unique position to offer world-class design and engineering capabilities to the rest of the Ford world. This exciting new facility will allow Ford Australia to continue this important work.”

“I am very proud to be here today with Premier Bracks and Ministers MacFarlane and Haermeyer to dedicate this new facility. I would particularly like to thank our Government partners for their foresight and willingness to support the future of Ford in Australia.”

The Centre is part of a previously announced broader strategic direction for Ford Australia and, when completed in 2007, will house more than 350 product development engineers. It will also incorporate new test and equipment areas, including engine development laboratories and prototype facilities.

It will complement the company’s Design Studio and Engineering & Technology Centre in Campbellfield, and the Proving Ground in Lara. These facilities are also being upgraded in support of Ford Australia’s leading-edge design and engineering capability.

“Our new Research & Development Centre will underpin our future engineering projects,” said Ford Australia President Mr Tom Gorman.

“It will play an integral role in our ability to successfully deliver on the design and engineering leadership role we have secured for a new global light commercial vehicle architecture that will eventually be sold in more than 80 countries worldwide.”

The Centre is due for completion in late 2007.

Edited by jpd80

Curious, I'm wondering when your last contact with FoA was?

Admittedly, it was Jan '07.

I ask because the new FG Falcon's Auto trans is from FoE and the powertrains are going fron the local I-6s to FNA V6s in 2010.

IIRC correctly, that was supposed to be a third party trans (BW?) but that fell through.

Then, after they were forced to use the FNA V6 (actually I think their I6 is pretty cool, but they did not have the manpower to update it), they decide they were going to outsource the EFI system (FNA actually "bid" on doing the software seeing as they already had everything working). After that decision was made they came back to FNA trans and wanted many sofware modification to make the trans controller play with the new engine controller.

That would suggest that either FoE has done the power train work or FNA continued assisting?

FoA "borrows" help from anyone they can get it, and then takes all of the credit. FoE has little or no in house software expertise (which of course is interesting as some of the Dearborn controls folks now have European management who don't have a clue about US Emissions or OBD-II)

The FGII with it V6 engines is now signed off for 2010 so, do we have you to thank for the incredibly smooth FG Falcon?

I already admitted that they make some fine products. They are just not a "World Class" engineering organization.

IIRC correctly, that was supposed to be a third party trans (BW?) but that fell through.

No, the 4-speed auto (Gransdson of a BW) lives on in the dedicated LPG models.

Your answers also give a clue as to why DSC is not avaliable with LPG/4-speed Auto,

I'm assuming that they couldn't find anyone to get the software to talk.

Thanks for the interesting info, sorry you got such a hard time.

Edited by jpd80

...I'm assuming that they couldn't find anyone to get the software to talk...

This "class" of problem is becoming more and more common through out the company.

Any executive who has made a spreadsheet, exec "want-to-be" who has made a Powerpoint Presentation, suddenly thinks they know everything about software.

Case in point, during the very early days of the NA Fiesta/Verve, there was an assumption made that the same EFI system that was planned for Europe could be used in the US. When someone finally contacted the supplier to query how long it would take to add US emissions and OBD-II they were shocked when the supplier said that those functions would require a totally different, more much more expensive ECM :ohsnap:

This "class" of problem is becoming more and more common through out the company.

Any executive who has made a spreadsheet, exec "want-to-be" who has made a Powerpoint Presentation, suddenly thinks they know everything about software.

Case in point, during the very early days of the NA Fiesta/Verve, there was an assumption made that the same EFI system that was planned for Europe could be used in the US. When someone finally contacted the supplier to query how long it would take to add US emissions and OBD-II they were shocked when the supplier said that those functions would require a totally different, more much more expensive ECM :ohsnap:

have to wonder if our preponderance on emmisions links the "greenies" and oil companies in cahoots....we can't bring in proven fuel sippers such as the small diesels etc due to emissions....and thus our gluttony and dependence on foreign oil continues....the oil companies must be thanking SOMEONE for us not getting 60 mpg cars........which is worse?....using less fuel and being ( apparently ) dirtier....or using MORE fuel and apparently being more environmentally acceptable and contributing to Big Oil posting mega billion dollar profits...its a conspiracy i tell ya....

Edited by Deanh

I've since discovered the LPG/4-speed auto/Non-DSC decision was a carry over from the previous model.

In 2010, the V6 will have an LPG option and 5 or 6-speed auto standard so the cost of changing the

above system for two years on such a small run was not justified.

The lengths that Ford Australia will go to in order to keep the Falcon on budget are well known,

they now have a new engineering complex housing more than 350 engineers, that number is

expected to grow significantly in the next two years.

As for the 5 Speed Autos - our version has a completely different calibration and setup compared with the US Version.

American versions don't have Sequential Sport Shift (SSS) , nor do they have dual modes.

What has been achieved with the 5A is nothing short of remarkable, and Ford Aus should be proud of their work.

Edited by jpd80

have to wonder if our preponderance on emmisions links the "greenies" and oil companies in cahoots....we can't bring in proven fuel sippers such as the small diesels etc due to emissions....and thus our gluttony and dependence on foreign oil continues....the oil companies must be thanking SOMEONE for us not getting 60 mpg cars........which is worse?....using less fuel and being ( apparently ) dirtier....or using MORE fuel and apparently being more environmentally acceptable and contributing to Big Oil posting mega billion dollar profits...its a conspiracy i tell ya....

Well yea, using less fuel puts out less emissions, I wouldn't put anything past the power of the oil companies, money gets you a lot of things.

The 10,000 Los Angelinos who die prematurely every year due to pollution would probably choose the 'low smog-forming pollutant' route. Having a friend with cystic fibrosis, air quality is something I take seriously.

The 10,000 Los Angelinos who die prematurely every year due to pollution would probably choose the 'low smog-forming pollutant' route. Having a friend with cystic fibrosis, air quality is something I take seriously.

Many of those 10,000 Los Angelinos could probably....umm...maybe....move if they are worried about the air quality. Why L.A. remains so attractive to so many people confounds me.

Surely you are not implying CF is caused by air pollution?

The American Lung Society issued a report saying LA lost the Smoggiest City Crown to Pittsburgh. I'm sure LA has improved but I think it has more to do with the fact that the sole monitoring station was next to U.S. Steel's Clairton Coke Works and isn't even in Pittsburgh. Sorry we're still a little sensitive about the whole "Smokey City" rap.

The American Lung Society issued a report saying LA lost the Smoggiest City Crown to Pittsburgh. I'm sure LA has improved but I think it has more to do with the fact that the sole monitoring station was next to U.S. Steel's Clairton Coke Works and isn't even in Pittsburgh. Sorry we're still a little sensitive about the whole "Smokey City" rap.

No, Pittsburgh was named the Sootiest. LA Basin is still the smoggiest.

Ford Reveals More of Rear-Wheel-Drive Plan for U.S.

Ford Reveals More of Rear-Wheel-Drive Plan for U.S.

Ford Motor Company has reportedly given the green light to a brand new rear-wheel-drive platform for a whole new generation of vehicles. What’s more, the automaker plans to bring the development program for said vehicles back home to Dearborn, after having much of the RWD work done in Australia in recent years.

Reports are that the new platform will underpin the next Ford Mustang, as well as serving in the new wave of Ford and Lincoln sedans. The automaker’s current lineup of RWD sedans, the Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car, should be more than ready for replacement when their production ends in 2011. The replacement for those sedan offerings may take a form akin to the Interceptor concept (seen above) shown at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, but are likely to be smaller with aims at improved fuel economy.

Ford is also toying with the idea of bringing the next generation of the Australian Falcon over for U.S. consumption, as another push towards the globalization of the brand.

what do u think? comments please

What about the Mercury Grand Marquis?

No, Pittsburgh was named the Sootiest. LA Basin is still the smoggiest.

But it's improved drastically since the 1970s! You can actually see the Hollywood hills from the LA basin now. I'm in San Diego now (since 83)...much better ;-)

But it's improved drastically since the 1970s! You can actually see the Hollywood hills from the LA basin now. I'm in San Diego now (since 83)...much better ;-)

My dad lived in Santa Monica from '79 to '84. I used to make it out there about once a year. We drove down to San Diego and I loved the city. I thought about transferring to UCSD in 1980.

That's a shame because whether it is brand or not; Mustang should be able to have other vehicles like Mustang trucks, Mustand SUVs, and the best of all: MUSTANG MOTORCYLES!!!!!!!!!! ala Harley, and then Ford Motor could be really making some cool money.

No, then all of Fords sales would be down 20% every month.