Photos: Ford Flex Hits the Streets

range

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall a discussion with Fields who admitted that they foresee a brief lifespan for the Flex (4 years I believe). However, with a 100,000 production goal, this is very large volume if Fields forsees this as a flash-in-the-pan product. The Ford Explorer will be a more conventional *(assuming) large CUV which will probably carry away some of the Flex market in 2012.

It seems like a total waste to create and invest in new brand equity for something that has a short lifespan. However, it remains to be seen if buyers prefer the brand equity of the Explorer name over something newer like the Flex. The Explorer image may be a little tired and stale at this point... It may also carry a stigma of being thirsty and too trucklike which is what buyers ae moving away from.

It has taken so long for this vehicle to come to fruit that it doesn't even seem new anymore...

Don't speak for everyone. I think it looks better each time I see it. Most people won't even have seen it yet, I think people will see it as a fresh alternative to the competition.

Yeah...because the station wagon market is a booming one...:hysterical:.

The Flex might just make it one ... Just watch ....

I agree with nick ... after all which idiot would buy a FWD 100hp shitbox for $17,000 if they can have a much larger RWD Panther with 250hp, that gets 30mpg highway .. WHO!?!?

Igor

I see the Flex as a possible mainstream/ smaller replacement for the Expedition....

IMO, the Flex is more of a replacement for the current Explorer than the Expedition. After seeing an Explorer and a Flex right next to each other...it's pretty obvious that Ford left room for a larger vehicle in the segment than the Flex, i.e. the unibody Exploder replacement. Expeditions are downright gargantuan compared to the Flex.

Edited by fbmphil

IMO, the Flex is more of a replacement for the current Explorer than the Expedition. After seeing an Explorer and a Flex right next to each other...it's pretty obvious that Ford left room for a larger vehicle in the segment than the Flex, i.e. the unibody Exploder replacement. Expeditions are downright gargantuan compared to the Flex.

possibly...but Flex is more user friendly than both...gotta love it...reason I compared it with the Expedition is that all are currently downsizing........( still think they missed the boat by not having sliders both sides of the Flex...but perhaps that WOULD have triggered the "minivan" response...)....

possibly...but Flex is more user friendly than both...gotta love it...reason I compared it with the Expedition is that all are currently downsizing........( still think they missed the boat by not having sliders both sides of the Flex...but perhaps that WOULD have triggered the "minivan" response...)....

User-friendly is right. I almost took my head out playing around with the power-folding seats today :shades: :finger:

I see the Flex as a possible mainstream/ smaller replacement for the Expedition....

I don't think the Flex replaces the Expedition or the Explorer. I believe the Flex will be the non-minivan/non-SUV alternative for people seeking a usuable 3 row vehicle. The Expedition will remain for people who will need up to 8 passenger seating, cargo carrying capacity & trailer towing capabilities (like myself). The new rumored uni-body Explorer should fit very nicely between the Flex & Expedition.

Everyone did. Gas was a DOLLAR a gallon.

Actually, in June of 2000, it was $1.64 and we all blamed Clinton for crazy high gas prices...

Flashback — CNN, June 23, 2000:

Bush was critical of Al Gore in the 2000 campaign for being part of “the administration that’s been in charge” while the “price of gasoline has gone steadily upward.”

Gas prices have soared this week to a national average of $1.64 a gallon, and to well over $2 a gallon in the Chicago and Milwaukee area, setting off a frenzy of finger-pointing involving the Clinton administration, Congress, oil companies and refineries, and the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.LINK

Funny how times have changed...

Yea, its amazing how not drilling for oil in the US would lead to higher gas prices for consumers.

Who would have ever predicted that outcome?

What a total shock!

toon043008.gif

Edited by range

I know. I remember when people were freaking out at 1.79 a gallon. $2.00 was just astonishing.

Hell, look at what it says under NLPRacing's screen name...

I remember when it cost me $35 to fill up, and I was pissed.

A few more weeks (days, actually... isn't a holiday coming?) and gas will have tripled nationally during the Shrub administration.

A few more weeks (days, actually... isn't a holiday coming?) and gas will have tripled nationally during the Shrub administration.

Yes, and I'm sure if Obama gets elected, gas prices are going to magically drop back to $1.25/gallon. Because, you know, the president has a lever on the desk in the oval office that he can push or pull to raise and lower gas prices.

Yes, and I'm sure if Obama gets elected, gas prices are going to magically drop back to $1.25/gallon. Because, you know, the president has a lever on the desk in the oval office that he can push or pull to raise and lower gas prices.

Something about "war" in the Middle East always seems to have a detrimental effect on gas prices. I'm not too young to remember my dad mentioning higher gas prices in the Persian Gulf War.