Photos: Ford Flex Hits the Streets

range

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WKA2008051938058_pv.jpg

2009 Ford Flex class-exclusive refrigerated console: Mounted between the second-row captains chairs, the available compressor-driven refrigerator can cool up to seven 12-ounce cans, four half-liter bottles or two 20-ounce bottles from room temperature to 41 degrees in a little more than two-and-a-half hours & 40 percent faster than a standard home refrigerator.

WKA2008051938005_pv.jpg

2009 Ford Flex Sony audio system: Ford Flex Sony audio system features 700 watts of power, 5.1 surround sound and 10 speakers is certified by Sony to deliver a unique, rich listening experience.

WKA2008051938071_pv.jpg

2009 Ford Flex reverse camera system: Available as an option, this system displays the area behind the vehicle on the navigation system screen when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. The camera is mounted in the bottom of Flex's liftgate badge

WKA2008051937914_pv.jpg

2009 Ford Flex EasyFuel capless fuel filler: This exclusive feature saves time by replacing a fuel-filler cap and provides a better seal, reducing the release of smog-forming vapors

well the flex is not my cup of tea at all(except for maybe AWD/6 speed/EcoBoost later), i hope it sells though and i like it's little features, i just do not like the wagon deal

now if they made it into that ute photochop in the photoshop section and made it at least AWD.....well i would be tempted to buy it

It is kind of weird, but I actually am starting to like the Flex. I actually HATE the Scion xB so sometimes I question whether I am being a badge fiend. But, actually, if you look at the Flex - the beauty is in the detailing, which the Scion has none. Those modern rib lines on the horizontal, the two-tone paint scheme, the detailing on the headlights and the grille - I just think the vehicle's detailing is awesome. If Ford could have that much detailing on all their vehicles, they would probably be in a lot better position.

Ive seen them in person a handful of times. The first time at the LA auto show, once on Sunset Blvd tooting around, and once at the Ford show at Knotts a month ago. Ive liked it more and more each time. Its a nice car, and it looks like it will be a hit for Ford and i think it will even get alot of conquest sales. Its just a cool ride. Id roll in it, but i dont need a vehicle of that size.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see the Flex being around more than 4 years. I predict that sales will fall each year,

The Flex is to big and to thirsty. The minivan crowd will buy Honda, Toyota and Dodge/Chy.

If Ford can make the Flex with an electric motor, it might work.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see the Flex being around more than 4 years. I predict that sales will fall each year,

The Flex is to big and to thirsty. The minivan crowd will buy Honda, Toyota and Dodge/Chy.

Say what?

Flex FWD

17/24 combined 19

T&C (4.0L V6)

16/23 Combined 18

Odyssey

17/25 Combined 20

Edited by silvrsvt

The whole point of the Flex is the anti-minivan styling. It is too cool to be a minivan. People who buy a Flex are buying within their own little niche. They want a vehicle with the functionality of a minivan, but they don't want the styling of one, nor the gas mileage of an SUV.

I know people will doubt me but I hope Ford adds the EcoBoost I4 from the Explorer American Concept that made 275hp on the Flex in the next couple of years (i know i know the 3.5EB is coming.) While it wouldn't be a barn burner it would offer a few more MPGs than the either 6 and would offer decent power for most people, especially people who need a big people mover but need a fatter wallet at the end of the day. Also, I can't imagine that the 2010-2011 explorer would weigh that much less than the Flex (especially without AWD and the vista roof) so it should be comparable in 0-60 times,etc.

Looks good on the streets, very lean and modern.

Thats the same thing i thought when i first saw it in person. It looks alot lower and slimmer in person than it does in the photos. its one of the few new CUVs that doesnt look fat and bloated when you see it. (Sequioa is the worst of the new ones)

Thats the same thing i thought when i first saw it in person. It looks alot lower and slimmer in person than it does in the photos. its one of the few new CUVs that doesnt look fat and bloated when you see it. (Sequioa is the worst of the new ones)

It's actually quite a bit smaller in the flesh than the Lambda triplets. When I was in a Flex the other day, I was next to an Acadia on the highway and surprisingly, I had to look UP at the driver. It truly is a wagon.

I think the most important aspect of the Flex is that it is a polarizing vehicle, in the strongest sense of the word. I couldn't count the nods of approval, thumbs up, and smiles I got from everyone ranging from SUV drivers, to soccer moms, to kids in the backseat.

Yep...

It's actually quite a bit smaller in the flesh than the Lambda triplets. When I was in a Flex the other day, I was next to an Acadia on the highway and surprisingly, I had to look UP at the driver. It truly is a wagon.

I think the most important aspect of the Flex is that it is a polarizing vehicle, in the strongest sense of the word. I couldn't count the nods of approval, thumbs up, and smiles I got from everyone ranging from SUV drivers, to soccer moms, to kids in the backseat.

But how do you redesign it?

Look at the 300C, Charger, PT Cruiser, Scion xB, and 2002 Thunderbird. How the heck do you redesign vehicles like that without ruining them, or without keeping them the same, and risk letting them get stale?

The Flex will be good for one solid restyle, and then I really don't see where they'll go with it.

However, with an Ecoboost 2.0 and a hybrid option, buyers will snap them up, even in our $4.00 gallon world.

But how do you redesign it?

Look at the 300C, Charger, PT Cruiser, Scion xB, and 2002 Thunderbird. How the heck do you redesign vehicles like that without ruining them, or without keeping them the same, and risk letting them get stale?

The Flex will be good for one solid restyle, and then I really don't see where they'll go with it.

However, with an Ecoboost 2.0 and a hybrid option, buyers will snap them up, even in our $4.00 gallon world.

I seem to recall a discussion with Fields who admitted that they foresee a brief lifespan for the Flex (4 years I believe). However, with a 100,000 production goal, this is very large volume if Fields forsees this as a flash-in-the-pan product. The Ford Explorer will be a more conventional *(assuming) large CUV which will probably carry away some of the Flex market in 2012.