Chevy and Dodge Pony Cars DOA?

Tico

Chrysler should have gotten out the blueprints of the original Challenger orignally based on the Valiant/Dart platform) and reproduced the original with current technology. They could have lightened the car and used the 170hp 2.4 I-4 as the base powerplant with a 6-speed manual as standard. In reality, they could have used the Sebring coupe and given it a new body for that matter. But since they're going old-school rwd, they could have done it smarter. Not only that, if they want to push a Hemi, why not make a smaller displacement V-8? With all the fuel tchnology, they could improve the Hemi and make it more economical to run.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told just slightly lighter, so I wouldn't expect much, but any weight loss these days is good, considering most cars gain weight every re-design with all the added safety features and electronic gadgets going into them.

I don't know how, but I'm sure there are lots of things that can be made out of aluminum or plastic that are currently made of steel.

3550 - 3600 pounds

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477049

Sorry about the rant, but on the topic:

I think the Camaro & Challenger are late to the game. All truck manufacturers are cutting production on their pigs. A truck serves more purposes than a poney/muscle car, being it's more versatile. So if they're having troubles saling these trucks, don't you think there'll be a problem trying to sell a big V8 2-door coupe that gets 12-16mpgs? Oh, the Mustang will be included in the bunch for sure. I would venture to say you'll see many more V6 models of these cars sold than V8's in the next few years, unless there is some type of downturn in the spiking fuel costs. Too bad, cause I love these cars and big V8's. Kind of sad that it looks to be the late 70's and 80's all over again.

Just my 2 cents.

There have always been more V6s sold than V8s. However, the V8 pony cars days are numbered. It's incredible we have the horsepower/pony car wars as gas goes to over $4 a gallon.

I dont think the Challenger will hang around that long. The Camaro longer, but I wouldnt be surprised to see the V6 being the big motor in the not to distant future for the Mustang and the Camaro it it makes it.

If you believe 3450 lbs for a new Mustang GT, I got a bridge to sell ya.

My 97 Cobra weighs more than that.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/feat...rive/index.html

At the bottom...

Another number:

3483-3518 lbs(coupe)

http://www.modernracer.com/fordmustanggt2005.html

I'll check my door jam when I get back to my car...its sitting in a parking lot since I started carpooling

Still the '10 mustang isn't losing any weight, unless they are using convert numbers!

The GT500 is the pig of the bunch, weighting in at 3900lbs but blame the Iron block 5.4L with supercharging pumbling for that.

Edited by silvrsvt

Just like they were in the '70s and early '80s.

Exactly...

I believe the Mustang (and maybe the Camaro & Challenger, but who knows) will continue to evolve. As long it's always a 2+2 Coupe & Convertible with RWD and at least an available V8, the Mustang will always be around.

Again with the :runaway: A mustang will always be a mustang and gas will drop again. Maybe not like what we knew ('74 predictions said 4cyl's only by 1980, again in '79 the sky was falling, again in '90 the sky was falling....and on and on) Gas jumped up from .30 a gallon to .50 then 80 then (and I remember it well) A DOLLAR A GALLON!!! PEOPLE WON'T STAND FOR IT!!! Then it was converted to Litres and that equalled $1.25 a gallon...then.....

Gas will go back to .80-.90 cents a gallon and all will be well with the world in a couple years.

Again with the :runaway: A mustang will always be a mustang and gas will drop again. Maybe not like what we knew ('74 predictions said 4cyl's only by 1980, again in '79 the sky was falling, again in '90 the sky was falling....and on and on) Gas jumped up from .30 a gallon to .50 then 80 then (and I remember it well) A DOLLAR A GALLON!!! PEOPLE WON'T STAND FOR IT!!! Then it was converted to Litres and that equalled $1.25 a gallon...then.....

Gas will go back to .80-.90 cents a gallon and all will be well with the world in a couple years.

80 cents a gallon? Can I have some of what you're smoking! :party2:

There was no convertible OR V8 available in 1974. Heck, convertible didn't return until what...1982 or something?

The convertible did disappear with the "Mustang II" and didn't return until 1983 (I had an 83 Mustang GLX Convertible when I was in high school with the 120HP 3.8L V6, damn that car was slow...). But, I think that all Mustangs from here out need a convertible option.

There was no convertible OR V8 available in 1974. Heck, convertible didn't return until what...1982 or something?

There were no domestic convertibles of any make or model for about an 8-year period. But they came back. And the V8 is stronger than ever. In fact, you could start the current Mustang performance boom in 1982 and continue it through now. That's 26 years. The original Mustang "power era" lasted 8 years at best.

And in the '80s, you had the option of paying a lot of extra money to get a hot four cylinder, the SVO. That was a very well engineered car, but the V8 Mustangs offered close enough performance for substantially less, and by '87 they eclipsed the SVO (which of course was gone for that year).

oops, I meant .80-.90 a LITRE! LOL! Forgot where I was.....80 a gallon, yeah that would be sweet...so would 5 cent beer.

Which is why we love them. The bully usually made the football team and got laid a lot. :D

And a few years after highschool when he wasnt good enough to play college football or got hurt now he's working the fryer at mcdonald's :happy feet:

I like my simple v8's but I love that turbo rush, hence me having about a half dozen 2.3 turbos over the years.

And a few years after highschool when he wasnt good enough to play college football or got hurt now he's working the fryer at mcdonald's :happy feet:

Well that's why your usual V8 pony car gets ridden hard and put out to pasture after a few years. :lol:

The convertible did disappear with the "Mustang II" and didn't return until 1983 (I had an 83 Mustang GLX Convertible when I was in high school with the 120HP 3.8L V6, damn that car was slow...).

I had the biggest, meanest, V8 in my '83 Firebird, and I think that was only around 150 HP. :yahoo:

I've also heard the new seat frames alone are worth a 15-20 lb reduction in weight.

I guess the avg Mustang owner will loose enough weight (buying gas instead of food) that the seat frames will not have to be as strong anymore. :happy feet:

I guess the avg Mustang owner will loose enough weight (buying gas instead of food) that the seat frames will not have to be as strong anymore. :happy feet:

It's not a matter of strength. It's just a matter of using a better design that uses less material. Consider it similar to the use of engineered lumber beams in new housing construction compared to solid wood beams.