Sell Mercury and Volvo? Kerkorian's point man has it wrong at Ford

Really breaking up PAG is bad news for Volvo as it could have led to a future where JLR and Volvo shared a lot more parts and used a lot less Ford bits. Now Vlvo is being forced upmarket and being made to use bespoke components when it could have just shared bits with JLR (who are now talking to Mercedes allegedly).....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really breaking up PAG is bad news for Volvo as it could have led to a future where JLR and Volvo shared a lot more parts and used a lot less Ford bits. Now Vlvo is being forced upmarket and being made to use bespoke components when it could have just shared bits with JLR (who are now talking to Mercedes allegedly).....

Not really, Volvo is far more intergrated with Ford.

After all, they developed P2 (D3 in Ford), P22 (Ford EUCD) and use the joint effort C1

Volvo's safety and engineering permeates throughout Ford

Edited by jpd80

After all, they developed P2 (D3 in Ford), P22 (Ford EUCD) and use the joint effort C1 Volvo's safety and engineering permeates throughout Ford

Indeed, it would be nice if Volvo engineers are more involved with Ford product planning.

If you had made this statement before the closure of Wixom, I would have agreed. Now that Lincoln is made where it's Ford counterpart is, I have to disagree. Mercury and Lincoln are in the same boat.

Yes and no. Lincoln at least has some dedicated engineering and design teams. Mercury has nothing dedicated solely to thier production. It is basically impossible to seprate either. But Lincoln is more than just a badge unlike Mercury.

Matthew

After all, they developed P2 (D3 in Ford), P22 (Ford EUCD) and use the joint effort C1

Volvo's safety and engineering permeates throughout Ford

But the point is Ford want's Volvo to use less Ford parts not more...

It's called deniability. Since Ford did not correct the WSJ article, it is true, and no one can quote Mulally as actually saying it.

That's actually not how the media works.

There are a myriad of reasons why someone may give me a "no comment" - usually damning, but sometimes they do not want to fan flames further.

Just because someone does not correct an article does not mean the assumptions made in the article are automatically true. It just means that the interviewee or article subject may want to not give the media the ability to jump on what may be the truth, or they may want to be coy about what the actual truth is.

First off, I'll say that the selling of Mercury would make about as much sense as Microsoft selling off the Office line. And sadly, that is probably more feasible than trying to slice off Mercury.

But I'll say I am concerned with Mercury. Personally, I like the Mercury cars better than Fords. Just for styling reasons. But with fewer and fewer Mercury cars, I just don't see how Ford is going to sustain Mercury. Mercury needs some cars of it's own. Not just a restyled Ford.

Niche wise, Mercury is occupying the same slot as Ford. I think that needs to change. But I also don't like where Mazda and Volvo are either. If Mercury goes away, I just don't see either of those filling the slot, not even dealer wise or volume wise. Mazda almost always leans towards the performance end. With $4 gas, I just don't see myself buying a Mazda. And Volvo I like because they are a safe car, but price wise they occupy the similar region as Lincoln. And there are very few dealers in the Midwest. So why would I buy a Volvo over a similarly priced Lincoln that I can get support on?

I don't know, I don't have the answers. I'm just throwing comments out. Only the first one do I firmly believe in...

First off, I'll say that the selling of Mercury would make about as much sense as Microsoft selling off the Office line. And sadly, that is probably more feasible than trying to slice off Mercury.

It would be more like Microsoft trying to sell Control Panel. That's more accurately stating the depth of integration between the two parts of the business.