Sell Mercury and Volvo? Kerkorian's point man has it wrong at Ford

For a smart guy, Jerry York sure has some goofy ideas.

York, of course, is Kirk Kerkorian's point man for the reclusive billionaire's periodic forays into investing in Detroit's automakers. Kerkorian and York are the dynamic duo who launched the Chrysler takeover effort that eventually led to the failed merger with Daimler. They also stirred the pot a couple of years ago by saying GM should merge with Renault-Nissan and Carlos Ghosn should run the whole shebang.

Armed with a substantial new shareholding in Ford, York recently said that, while he endorses Ford CEO Alan Mulally's plan for the firm, if he had his druthers, he'd sell Mercury and Volvo.

Ah, how do I count the ways that this doesn't make sense? READ MORE HERE.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

York, of course, is Kirk Kerkorian's point man for the reclusive billionaire's periodic forays into investing in Detroit's automakers. Kerkorian and York are the dynamic duo who launched the Chrysler takeover effort that eventually led to the failed merger with Daimler. They also stirred the pot a couple of years ago by saying GM should merge with Renault-Nissan and Carlos Ghosn should run the whole shebang.

Armed with a substantial new shareholding in Ford, York recently said that, while he endorses Ford CEO Alan Mulally's plan for the firm, if he had his druthers, he'd sell Mercury and Volvo.

These people should be not be allowed to make any decisions they should be let go of the company's represent.

Selling Mercury doesnt make one bit of sense since there is nothing to sell just the name and if they are stupid enough to do that I do hope someone would by it and teach them a lesson. Why would ford want to lose 160,000 sales? I know I wont go to ford and I cant afford a lincoln, so I would have to go voer to other middle of road brands

Edited by saintlaz1

Mulally is going to sell Volvo anyway, and it means keeping to doors open to retool and match the lineup from Toyota and Honda, why not?

That 160K in sales will be falling, considering consumers are shopping for high mileage vehicles and will be in 2009 also.

The profit Ford makes from selling high mileage vehicles is small to non existant compared to the profit on a PU or SUV, so why keep Mercury?

Both articles are feeding off a WallStreet Journal article and re wording it. That doesn't prove much of anything.

Do you have any hard evidence, you know such as information directly from Ford? When AM, Jag and LR went on the market it was highly publicized well before.

The hyper-active press jumps to conclusions and posts absurd non-sense such as this. I guess if we were to utilize their logic, since Ford cut back production of most of their trucks and SUVs they are going to start selling nameplates too.

Both articles are feeding off a WallStreet Journal article and re wording it. That doesn't prove much of anything.

Do you have any hard evidence, you know such as information directly from Ford? When AM, Jag and LR went on the market it was highly publicized well before.

The hyper-active press jumps to conclusions and posts absurd non-sense such as this. I guess if we were to utilize their logic, since Ford cut back production of most of their trucks and SUVs they are going to start selling nameplates too.

Man, you cannot read.

"Chief Executive Alan Mulally has told top executives he wants to eventually seek a buyer, according to people familiar with the matter."

Man, you cannot read.

"Chief Executive Alan Mulally has told top executives he wants to eventually seek a buyer, according to people familiar with the matter."

In other words, it's a rumor.

Since you're such a fucking dumbass, I've provided the definition of "rumor" for you:

ru·mor

–noun

1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts.

Jerry York has looked at the success that Chrysler and GM as well as other non-automotive companies have had with down sizing. I don't think he understands Ford and the Automarket as well and Bill Ford and Alan Mulally combined do.

I agree action has to be done with both Volvo and Mercury. I am not convinced that a sale is the solution.

Mulally is going to sell Volvo anyway, and it means keeping to doors open to retool and match the lineup from Toyota and Honda, why not?

That 160K in sales will be falling, considering consumers are shopping for high mileage vehicles and will be in 2009 also.

The profit Ford makes from selling high mileage vehicles is small to non existant compared to the profit on a PU or SUV, so why keep Mercury?

Ford shares have dropped so much that if they can get $7 billion for it, they should sell it and give a big dividend to the share holders. In todays market, they won't get $7 billion for it.

Ford can make good money with Mercury by doing nothing for the short term. This is what they are doing. They have lots of time to come up with a good plan for the future. They are better to wait until they have a good plan than to implement a bad plan.

They have changed the plan for Volvo. We will have to wait to see if they gave Volvo the resources and management to be successful.

"amid speculation that Ford is priming Volvo for a sale"

So much for specifics. You'll have to do a lot better than this, if you can.

Ford is making Volvo more independant. Does that mean they want to sell Volvo, turn it into a Mazda, or either depending on the price they can get.

Man, you cannot read.

Is that D-I-R-E-C-T-L-Y from Ford Motor Company?

If I can't read, then you have no idea what comprehension is. Once again you prove that you are a complete moron.

Is that D-I-R-E-C-T-L-Y from Ford Motor Company?

If I can't read, then you have no idea what comprehension is. Once again you prove that you are a complete moron.

It's called deniability. Since Ford did not correct the WSJ article, it is true, and no one can quote Mulally as actually saying it.

Jerry York has looked at the success that Chrysler and GM as well as other non-automotive companies have had with down sizing. I don't think he understands Ford and the Automarket as well and Bill Ford and Alan Mulally combined do.

I agree action has to be done with both Volvo and Mercury. I am not convinced that a sale is the solution.

Bill Ford understood what needed doing at Ford. He closed plants and started to get things right. His main failing was on not getting the line up of future models right. Alan Mulally has benefited from the medicin administered Bill Ford. He's been forced to change Ford's profit target by a year and it's only now that he's mentioned that structural changes are going on in the industry. Toyota knew that years ago! Doh.

Same man has sold profitable Aston Martin and Land Rover. He sold Jag in a low as it heads back to a bright and profitable future. He should have sold Volvo, but apparantly is pledging to keep it by turning it into a more upmarket brand using more bespoke parts..... like JLR does.

I seriously doubt he's the right man for the job. Why didn't Ford simply get someone from Ford Europe to rescue the company. In case no one's noticed they have really turned FOE around. Good people in Europe that could have taken the reigns at Ford USA. Ford should have promoted from within....

It's called deniability. Since Ford did not correct the WSJ article, it is true, and no one can quote Mulally as actually saying it.

And yet Ford keeps saying Volvo is not for sale.

The plan is for Volvo to use more Ford derived products to improve its costs.

That doesn't sound like a company for sale to me - not in the immediate future anyway.

Here's another kicker, old man Kerkorian is borrowing the $600 million he using to buy Ford shares!!!

I wonder how long the loan is?

It's called deniability.

No, deniability is defined by the string of absurdities that you continue to post. :hysterical:

Since Ford did not correct the WSJ article, it is true

You should work for the CIA, they need all the help they can get since J.J. Angleton retired.

That's not what I asked in my original post.

I questioned whether or not it came directly from Ford. You posted a snippet about 'sources' closest to the deal.

Just because a spokesperson at Ford, or Al himself, didn't deny it doesn't mean it's true. How many times does the company have to put it out there that they aren't in the process of dumping the brand?

Sorry, but I doubt Ford Motor has to address every article from every publication. This includes the WSJ. Very weak line of reasoning.

Bill Ford understood what needed doing at Ford. He closed plants and started to get things right. His main failing was on not getting the line up of future models right. Alan Mulally has benefited from the medicin administered Bill Ford. He's been forced to change Ford's profit target by a year and it's only now that he's mentioned that structural changes are going on in the industry. Toyota knew that years ago! Doh.

Same man has sold profitable Aston Martin and Land Rover. He sold Jag in a low as it heads back to a bright and profitable future. He should have sold Volvo, but apparantly is pledging to keep it by turning it into a more upmarket brand using more bespoke parts..... like JLR does.

I seriously doubt he's the right man for the job. Why didn't Ford simply get someone from Ford Europe to rescue the company. In case no one's noticed they have really turned FOE around. Good people in Europe that could have taken the reigns at Ford USA. Ford should have promoted from within....

Every time I see your name in a thread, I can almost expect it having something to do with a British Brand. Yes they are profitable now, but you constantly ignore that they were money pits and their un-expected long term profitability.

Right! Bill Ford knew the company and the industry. He knew what had to be done and was doing the right stuff. He was not smart enough to get the job done fast enough. He was also too causous when his staff told him that change was bad. He pick Mulally because Mulally could get the job done and would not accept the excuse that Ford has always done it this way. Bill Ford also knew that Ford had to merge its regional divisions. Mulally had success at this a boeng. Mulally also had experience in running a huge, high tech manufacturer. Bill could see this as the future of Ford.