He said, She said: Flex first drive review

maybe Ford realizes thay have a better product, the X just didn't work p, either as the X or Freestyle...which by the way totals 3 years....3 years in which it FAILED to catch on, and beleive me advertising was the LEAST of its problems....

The Taurus X wasn't really new anyway. The "reviews" were mostly quick takes/revisions of the Five Hundred.

And people do want something new and different. Obviously the old 500/Taurus isn't quite it. It's reliable and good in so many ways, but dull to many. That's where the Flex comes in.....bolder, trendy, a new segment, even if based on existing hardware. It's not exactly a clean slate design, but that was necessary. But so was the Mustang as it was based off the very conventional Falcon.

It's about image, execution and hitting the right mark at the right time. And the Flex is impressive where the Taurus X isn't. I just wish it was smaller and lighter.

The Flex could be the new Mustang in terms of success.........or the Edsel, but probably some where in between. Ford's goals aren't that lofty!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here is some big news: the Taurus X is still on the lots so we will see how many go in for the Flex and come out driving an X. I'm betting not many.

Back in reality land, the vehicle that Flex is going to compete with is the one that customers are driving today. Is the Flex good enough to get people out of their Tahoe's, Expeditions, Yukon's, Denali's and so on? The only comparison that really matters is the one that takes place in the dealer show room: Is this new vehicle worth trading out of the one I am driving now?

To get back on topic, does anything in the reviews make you guys believe that Suburban owners are going to want to trade down to this thing?

When I read the review Flex Review in Automotive Traveler It sounds like they think this thing is BIG BIG BIG so Expedition owners might feel right at home size wise, and for them it would be a huge improvement in gas mileage. It all depends on your point of reference.

I wonder who got the Flex after the press event? They will probably be the ones to do the first full review. I hope it wasn't Car and Driver. I can summarize the review:

"We drove the Flex up Topanga Canyon Road and find that at the limit in the twisties it has vague steering feel, a little numb even when compared to the Corvette.

The dash is too plasticy and the surfaces are not as soft as the Audi we tested last week.

At the race track we were unable to get the quarter mile times we expected because of excessive wheel spin with the traction control turned off. We asked for paddle shifters, but Ford continues to fail to see the clear need for performance oriented options. Lap times were considerably slower than the Subaru WRX STI we consider to be our bench mark people mover.

In our 60 to zero braking tests we were unimpressed. Every Porsche we have tested stopped by at least 1 foot shorter.

There were some buttons and stuff for the rear seats, but we never used them. If they left out the third seat it would reduce weight and contribute to better F/R weight balance.

The Flex would be so much better if it was made entirely of Aluminum, Carbon Fiber and Titanium.

We chose the Mini Clubman as our comparison since they both are available with white roofs."

What I want to know is will all of my daughters stuff fit in it when I take her back to college this fall?

maybe Ford realizes thay have a better product

hats just it...thye Flex is NOT a better vehicle. Being more expensive, heavier, slower and smaller than the Taurus X does not make it better.

and beleive me advertising was the LEAST of its problems....

No, the only problem with the Taurus X was Ford itself. They failed to invest ANYTHING into the Taurus X...theus, it is a sales bomb. Ford could not have had a better vehicle, and they let it slip away.

hats just it...thye Flex is NOT a better vehicle. Being more expensive, heavier, slower and smaller than the Taurus X does not make it better.

No, the only problem with the Taurus X was Ford itself. They failed to invest ANYTHING into the Taurus X...theus, it is a sales bomb. Ford could not have had a better vehicle, and they let it slip away.

will be humourous for you to eat crow and FINALLY admit you were mistaken.....

I always thought that if FMC would have stayed true to the Freestyle FX concept sales would have been better. The production version was just too watered down in my opinion. That being said I do like the Flex.

2003_Ford_FreestyleFXConcept1.jpg

2003_Ford_FreestyleFXConcept7.jpg

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

I always thought that if FMC would have stayed true to the Freestyle FX concept sales would have been better. The production version was just too watered down in my opinion. That being said I do like the Flex.

2003_Ford_FreestyleFXConcept1.jpg

2003_Ford_FreestyleFXConcept7.jpg

Are you referring to the actual design of the Fresstyle FX, or the concept of having it able to be a "truck" as well? Design wise, not much changed, at least from that view.

Are you referring to the actual design of the Fresstyle FX, or the concept of having it able to be a "truck" as well? Design wise, not much changed, at least from that view.

The actual design. While I agree "not much changed," it is those very small details that watered down the production version.

ford_freestyle_fx_dc_03_03.jpg

The actual design. While I agree "not much changed," it is those very small details that watered down the production version.

ford_freestyle_fx_dc_03_03.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you have specific examples of the design details you're referring to?

Edited by rmc523

Out of curiosity, do you have specific examples of the design details you're referring to?

Well since I can't see with your eyes the best I can explain are the differences in the front/rear clips (due to safety regulations I suspect), headlights and tail lamps, mirrors, wheels/tires, and door handles.

1575-2.jpg

2005-Ford-Freestyle-05114561990001.jpg

2005-Ford-Freestyle-05114561990004.jpg

1575-1.jpg

Well since I can't see with your eyes the best I can explain are the differences in the front/rear clips (due to safety regulations I suspect), headlights and tail lamps, mirrors, wheels/tires, and door handles.

1575-2.jpg

2005-Ford-Freestyle-05114561990001.jpg

2005-Ford-Freestyle-05114561990004.jpg

1575-1.jpg

Ok, I see what you're saying now, seeing them side-by-side. I do like the concept better, except, I think the rear is a little too boxy for my taste.

will be humourous for you to eat crow and FINALLY admit you were mistaken.....

For what it's worth, our dealership here in New York delivered the FIRST Flex in the country on Thursday 6/12. Customer came in Wednesday, saw it, drove it, picked it up the next day. Fully loaded Limited, he loves it. Hope it's the start of something.

Don't look at the Flex...

I should've worded that differently, because I like the Flex's design.

I said...."I think the rear is a little too boxy for my taste." I was really getting more to the point that the rear of that particular concept is too boxy, it doesn't flow with the comparatively curvy (not extremely so, just moreso than the back) front end design.

liked it as well, very fresh....I wonder how they got 17.1, hell I get 15-16 in my gals 4x4 5.4 Expedition regularly...obviously peoples driving habits vary, my right foot has DEFINITELY gotten lighter...got 29 last fillup in the Cooper S, and I regularly see reveiwers getting below 23! in tests of the same car. Also, everyone should stop bleating about MPGS and gas, if that is their gripe then good luck getting 6 or seven comfortable in a Prius or Focus, realize what the reveiwed vehicle is targeting ( Odessey, Siennas, even Expedition, Tahoe etc people willing to downsize to counter their Chevron bill ) in which case this vehicle meets or exceeds its target, also, one thing i will say about Ford...their MPGs seem to be a little more ACCURATE than some....in reality though the market on this car probably has declined due to consumers outrage and reactive buying habits...the pool of "impulse" and emotive buyers may delay a Purchase based solely on mileage ratings...buyers with a need for 6 passenger vehicles will always be there.

Yes but how can Ford Europe make the S-Max with a combined MPG of 34.9?

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/smax/co2_smax/co2..._petrol/-/-/-/-

Opportunity missed.