Taurus

BORG

The Taurus/Sable will haul most of the stuff people use a mid size SUV for. Large (huge actually) trunk, fold down rear seats, front passenger seat folds flat on our Montego. And near 30 MPG high way cruising.

Our Montego gets 21-22 around town and I have registered several back to back tanks, measuring the gas, at 30 MPG before. New Taurus and Sable almost as good with more power. And more comfortable than SUV with high seating. What's not to like? A low mileage 6 speed auto version of Five Hundred or Montego makes a terrific used buy. I don't even have a complaine with the 3.0 engine.

A new Taurus with the improved 3.0 would suit me as well as one with the 3.5.

Edited by Ralph Greene

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mercury Sable is selling better now. Today i saw a gray Sable on the road and it was a nice looking car. I think it looks better than the Taurus. Hopefully Sable and Taurus keep sales high and strong as someone has mentioned above, I still have not seen one TV add advertising the Sable or the Taurus.

The Taurus/Sable will haul most of the stuff people use a mid size SUV for. Large (huge actually) trunk, fold down rear seats, front passenger seat folds flat on our Montego. And near 30 MPG high way cruising.

Our Montego gets 21-22 around town and I have registered several back to back tanks, measuring the gas, at 30 MPG before. New Taurus and Sable almost as good with more power. And more comfortable than SUV with high seating. What's not to like? A low mileage 6 speed auto version of Five Hundred or Montego makes a terrific used buy. I don't even have a complaine with the 3.0 engine.

A new Taurus with the improved 3.0 would suit me as well as one with the 3.5.

I have heard nothing but good things from Five Hundred owners (no Mercury here mate) and ran into a old boss and he has a brand spanking new Taurus. I must say in person, it's impressive. As well, there are some used Five Hundreds out there so if you can score one, it's a good deal.

Either way, the D segment is a viable alternate to large SUVs. In this locale, these sedans are painted in the same ignorant brush that they are wasteful BOF V8 gas-guzzler sedans the same as a unsafe rollover recall ridden Explorer. Some people I tell you.

Anyway I'm confused by your last sentence Ralph. There's no D30 in the Taurus and IIRC, the PIP D30 is in the Escape/Tribute only. I don't think the Fusion is going to D35 as well. Thanks for the memories D30.

I have heard nothing but good things from Five Hundred owners (no Mercury here mate) and ran into a old boss and he has a brand spanking new Taurus. I must say in person, it's impressive. As well, there are some used Five Hundreds out there so if you can score one, it's a good deal.

Either way, the D segment is a viable alternate to large SUVs. In this locale, these sedans are painted in the same ignorant brush that they are wasteful BOF V8 gas-guzzler sedans the same as a unsafe rollover recall ridden Explorer. Some people I tell you.

Anyway I'm confused by your last sentence Ralph. There's no D30 in the Taurus and IIRC, the PIP D30 is in the Escape/Tribute only. I don't think the Fusion is going to D35 as well. Thanks for the memories D30.

What is the EPA gas rating on Taurus/Sable with AWD? This MIGHT indeed be a reasonable replacement for our Mountaineer.

Hugh....I was making the statement that my wife's 2005 Montego with 3.0 and extremely responsive Aisin 6 speed auto....it seems to always be in gear I need with just a little throttle.....is a nice engine/trans combo, and while I know the new 3.5 makes more power, it does give up some economy to the 3.0 in real world driving. So if the improved 3.0 were available (I know it isn't) in a new Taurus, that would be fine with me. I don't look to a large people mover sedan for my performance thrills.

IMHO the new Taurus/Sable are excellent vehicles for the times....if not overly exiting.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I like performance cars just like many of you do....and have supercharged various Mystangs, etc.

But I think our basic people movers have more power than they need, and would be fine with smaller lower HP engines....especially in a car that is aero efficient.

A 3000 lb car with 1.5 to 1.8 L engine tuned for TQ and about 100 HP and well thought out transmission will get the job done fine. Especially if gas keeps going up, or stays up.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Hugh....I was making the statement that my wife's 2005 Montego with 3.0 and extremely responsive Aisin 6 speed auto....it seems to always be in gear I need with just a little throttle.....is a nice engine/trans combo, and while I know the new 3.5 makes more power, it does give up some economy to the 3.0 in real world driving. So if the improved 3.0 were available (I know it isn't) in a new Taurus, that would be fine with me. I don't look to a large people mover sedan for my performance thrills.

IMHO the new Taurus/Sable are excellent vehicles for the times....if not overly exiting.

I see what you're saying. My father had a Five Hundred SEL w/ D30 and 6A and I understand.

Correction to my last post: I believe the Fusion is going to the D35 as well. That been said, I think it could be tuned for less power and better fuel economy.

Like how the full-size V6 Impala gets better gas mileage than the mid-size V6 Malibu...

:ohsnap:

Only P71... :hysterical:

As a Fusion owner let me say, for the record, that the difference there is that the V6 Malibu has the superior engine, whereas the Fusion loses in horsepower, refinement, and mileage.

As a Fusion owner let me say, for the record, that the difference there is that the V6 Malibu has the superior engine, whereas the Fusion loses in horsepower, refinement, and mileage.

Also as a Fusion owner let me say, for the record, sorry, I'm not getting your point. I wasn't comparing the Malibu to the Fusion.

But if you want to compare a CD3 with a comparable V6 to the Malibu, then compare it to the MKZ. I'll give you a hint: the MKZ gets better mileage. :poke:

Edited by TomServo92

I wasn't comparing the Fusion to the Malibu, only the Fusion-Taurus to the Malibu-Impala. The Impala getting better mileage than the Malibu is a different scenario than the Taurus getting better mileage than the Fusion.

I wasn't comparing the Fusion to the Malibu, only the Fusion-Taurus to the Malibu-Impala. The Impala getting better mileage than the Malibu is a different scenario than the Taurus getting better mileage than the Fusion.

Your right, in the Ford, its the better newer engine that gets better mileage....in the bigger car.

OK, so in both cases the bigger car with the bigger V6 gets better gas mileage. Yep, nothing alike... :finger:

Isn't it =worse= because the older Impala motor gets better gas mileage than the newer Malibu motor as opposed to the newer Taurus motor getting better gas mileage than the older Fusion motor?

No no, its only because your a stupid cheerleader that you see it that way. If you were a normal person who wasn't drinking the kool-aid you would know the real answer.

Isn't it =worse= because the older Impala motor gets better gas mileage than the newer Malibu motor as opposed to the newer Taurus motor getting better gas mileage than the older Fusion motor?

Yes, it is. The newer Malibu 3.6L doesn't even beat the old, thrashy Ford 3.0L and gets trounced by the Taurus's 3.5L and the Impala's old pushrod 3.5L and 3.9L V6s. In fact, the 3.6L Malibu barely bests the Impala 5.3L V8!