Prototype Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid: 88 MPG on 85% Ethanol

silvrsvt

Ford need to get this in production as soon as possible it realy would be a massive hit in Europe as it bans 4x4's & SUV's from our city centres, this would break all their silly rules and would offer massive tax breaks for the buyer this would make it a perfect taxi as well in town in the UK, gotta say l would buy one today if Ford sold them here this will send SUV sales skyward, Escape sales are already up this year anyway by 5%. Superb news Arabs & oil speculators will be made to suffer for a change.

Now why isn't the 09 plug-in capable?

How long will Ford sit on this until they bring it out?

They are running prototypes. That tells me the production capabilities are close. If it was ready, don't you think they'd be offering it? Nah. Ford intentionally keeps ready-for-market technology away from the consumer because......hmmm...because....well....I can't think of any reason. Can you?

It's obviously not ready.

Because the Li-ion battery packs are $10k a pop and NiMH packs hold so small a charge, comparatively speaking that it's not worth the effort (oooh, with a PHEV NiMH Escape, I can drive the first 7 miles every day without running the engine. As long as I keep it below 30mph).

The key to a Plug-in is the battery.

When the battery cost between $5000 and $10,000, you want to make sure it lasts atleast 8 years and doesn't catch on fire. Better if the battery last 10 to 14 years. I don't know how long the testing process is, but the longer the better.

Edited by battyr

So we are using "Plug In" which will require more power plants of nuclear or coal type, and not sure about some of your areas of the country, but read the your papers towards the end of the year, where people will be screaming at the huge rate increases on power. If you think gas is going up, wait till you see how the power companies nationwide are hinting they have to increase their prices per kilowatt between 16-28%.

AND, it uses Ethanol, which is not available in many places, and/or burns another resource such as corn. Corn prices go up, so do chicken, and other animals that require it as feed.

I dont see any of this, is a viable alternative...

So we are using "Plug In" which will require more power plants of nuclear or coal type, and not sure about some of your areas of the country, but read the your papers towards the end of the year, where people will be screaming at the huge rate increases on power. If you think gas is going up, wait till you see how the power companies nationwide are hinting they have to increase their prices per kilowatt between 16-28%.

Plug it in at work.

That isn't a viable solution since...

A) Still soesn't solve the issue of straining another source of energy (powerplants)

B) I own my own business

C) I work at home

D) not everyones jobs will have accessible power outlets near their vehicles.

http://www.gizmag.com/designer-fuel-offers...less-cost/9467/

Designer fuel offers more mpg, less emissions, less cost

June 13, 2008 Now here’s an interesting solution to the problem of reducing emissions using the same fleet of cars we have, but by using different fuel. Airplanes need high octane fuel and the octane rating has until now been achieved by adding tetraethyl lead, but that will be outlawed from 2010. Ethanol achieves the same octane rating boost but is unsuitable for use in aircraft. To solve the riddle, the newly announced SwiftFuel© uses ethanol to produce a designer fuel with a 104 octane rating that has no ethanol in it. It runs fine in any existing plane (or car), and is a low emission, alternative made entirely from biomass that has 15-20% more energy per litre than petrol, so your plane (or car) will get better mpg too. And it costs half as much to make as current petroleum manufacturing cost, selling for $2 a gallon less than gasoline. What’s the catch?

No, we can’t see a catch.

Because the Li-ion battery packs are $10k a pop and NiMH packs hold so small a charge, comparatively speaking that it's not worth the effort (oooh, with a PHEV NiMH Escape, I can drive the first 7 miles every day without running the engine. As long as I keep it below 30mph).

Toyota and GM have both said they will have one out for 2010, if they can do it then, Ford can too, when will you run out of excuses?

AND, it uses Ethanol, which is not available in many places, and/or burns another resource such as corn. Corn prices go up, so do chicken, and other animals that require it as feed.

I dont see any of this, is a viable alternative...

Yea, just like the great power outage of 2004 when everybody started buying big screen tv's and charging their cell phones overnight.

2 years after it debuts in Europe.

More like, two years after every other company has sold one.

I've been saying for a long time that the first company that can build a car that gets close to that mythical 100 miles per gallon is going to pay off big time for them, if it's Toyota we'll NEVER hear the end of it.

So Cal Edison has a fleet of them, Ford can do it 2 years from now for production, if they have to charge more for them so what? People will line up to buy em anyway..

Edited by Blueblood

More like, two years after every other company has sold one.

I've been saying for a long time that the first company that can build a car that gets close to that mythical 100 miles per gallon is going to pay off big time for them, if it's Toyota we'll NEVER hear the end of it.

So Cal Edison has a fleet of them, Ford can do it 2 years from now for production, if they have to charge more for them so what? People will line up to buy em anyway..

I would love to see Ford bring this thing out, especially before Toyota.

This is from a Detroit News article than ran last week, "Ford has been more cautious than either Toyota or General Motors Corp. saying only that it would be 5 to 10 years before the company offered plug-in vehicles on a mass market basis. GM has said it will bring its Chevy Volt to consumers by the end of 2010, a vehicle that will be able to go 40 miles on electric power."

Here's the full article:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/806110459

That's what I want, for Ford to beat Toyota, I'm sick of hearing about how Toyota is the "green" company..

I agree the Toyota Land Cruiser does not smell of roses but Toyota image does, but when it comes to being green it's no better or no worse than Ford in reality. If Toyota were doing this hybrid Escape the whole wide world would have known about it ages ago, Fords marketing men with the bigger advertising budget are fast asleep as usual getting paid shit loads of money for doing nothing.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Toyota and GM have both said they will have one out for 2010, if they can do it then, Ford can too, when will you run out of excuses?

Saying is one thing. Doing is another. And it is yet another thing to do it at a profit.

Yes, Ford could have it to market next year if they felt like absorbing a $10K loss per vehicle. That's business smarts! Seems to be the GM plan though.

Toyota is subsidizing hybrid sale. Ford can't afford to sell cars at a loss.

At least Ford's standard hybrids are supposed to be break-even by the time the Fusion/Milan hybrid launch. The same can't be said for anything using lithium ion batteries though. Long way to go before those are cheap enough to sell at a profit.