2010 Ford Taurus spied

ManFord

It's no re badge, the sheet metal most of the glass is unique. They share a platform and hard points so they will look "roughly" similar. I actually think the new Taurus has done a better job with the sheet metal work.

The 2010 Taurus redesign exists because of the Lincoln MKS. If the MKS wasn't produced, I doubt you would have seen such a quick turn around on this platform, it would have been unjustly expensive for a weak segment.

Edited by BORG

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish these editors actually did their work correctly...

"The current Ford Taurus was unveiled in early 2007 as the 2008 Ford Five Hundred".

Should read, "The current Ford Taurus was unveiled in early 2004, as the 2005 Ford Five Hundred".

I wish these editors actually did their work correctly...

"The current Ford Taurus was unveiled in early 2007 as the 2008 Ford Five Hundred".

Should read, "The current Ford Taurus was unveiled in early 2004, as the 2005 Ford Five Hundred".

Actually they were right.

It looks good. Those headlights appeared to he HID too. Nice to see LEDs on the rear. I was starting to get tired of the one bulb for brakes/tail lights/turn signal from Ford.

The headlights (at least what we can see of them) look very similar to the MKS' units. Notice too how it's using MKS' 'double spoke' wheels?

in comparison with my fave MKR definitely....in its own right it is conservatively handsome.....I just think they could have pushed the envelope a tad more.....

Well, as you know, by the time the MKR was displayed and discovered to be a hit with the crowd, the MKS' design was mostly set in stone, except for the addition of the grille. And while I think the MKS looks great, I too think they could've done more.

i was just going to say that. look at the mirrors, windows, and beltline. and alos look at the platic pice below the doors its exactly the same.

Looking at the two pictures again in more detail, I noticed the A-pillar appears to be thicker on the Taurus. You may say the chrome strip next to the windshield is absent, but I don't think that would account for the extra width seen there, since you can see where the strip/rain channel would be if it were there.

Nice way to look at it. Much like (from what I understand) the current Civic exists because of the Acura CSX.

Yes, I saw one of those when I was in Montreal this past May. I had a picture, but I think I deleted it from my computer.

Edited by rmc523

I'm on the fence with the 2010 Taurus, in terms of its importance to Ford.

On one hand, we might see a wide-scale collapse of the large sedan market as customers flee to smaller and more fuel efficient sedans, ala I4 Fusion.

Or, we might see an explosion in sales as people flee FROM larger SUVs, but still want some room to stretch out and be comfortable.

One way or another, the 2010 Taurus will be the hands-down class-leader. Hopefully they can get the EcoBoost I4 engine under the hood as soon as possible.

First of all, it's a MULE!

Compare it to the earlier leaked styling clinic photo it looks like it but with MKS fenders and more of a rake.

I don't think it's a mule. I think those are actual production pieces under all that padding.

However, I do suspect that it's using MKS wheels simply because they're available. In fact, I'd wager that they're leftovers from the MKS project. I would guess that one-off prototype wheels are outrageously expensive, and that Ford is saving money and reusing them.

Also, while the silhouette may be vaguely similar to the MKS, I don't think Ford is going to share a single piece of metal or glass between those models.

I don't think it's a mule. I think those are actual production pieces under all that padding.

However, I do suspect that it's using MKS wheels simply because they're available. In fact, I'd wager that they're leftovers from the MKS project. I would guess that one-off prototype wheels are outrageously expensive, and that Ford is saving money and reusing them.

Also, while the silhouette may be vaguely similar to the MKS, I don't think Ford is going to share a single piece of metal or glass between those models.

Well, maybe the Mirrors, but that's ok.

I'm on the fence with the 2010 Taurus, in terms of its importance to Ford.

On one hand, we might see a wide-scale collapse of the large sedan market as customers flee to smaller and more fuel efficient sedans, ala I4 Fusion.

Or, we might see an explosion in sales as people flee FROM larger SUVs, but still want some room to stretch out and be comfortable.

One way or another, the 2010 Taurus will be the hands-down class-leader. Hopefully they can get the EcoBoost I4 engine under the hood as soon as possible.

Well I think how well the Taurus does also depends on what kind economy it gets. If it gets good economy, I could see it doing well. Along with SUV downsizing as you mentioned.

Do you think buyers will come back to big cars the Taurus sales dropped by something over 50% last month, what was the reason for this big drop off in sales just interested?

you have to remember US is not only dealing with gas prices, but also economic crunch and an overall mode of PANIC among the public. A lot of the shift in the market is permanent, but a lot of it is just cyclical, and many larger cars will rebound very swiftly the moemnt the economy is doing better - no matter what we pay for gas.

At this point the overall car industry is in the shitter over the perfect storm. The Taurus gets 28mpg - right on par with most smaller V6 cars - and while it will never rise to over 15k a month - not without an I4 - it is not a dead segment.

Igor

you have to remember US is not only dealing with gas prices, but also economic crunch and an overall mode of PANIC among the public. A lot of the shift in the market is permanent, but a lot of it is just cyclical, and many larger cars will rebound very swiftly the moemnt the economy is doing better - no matter what we pay for gas.

At this point the overall car industry is in the shitter over the perfect storm. The Taurus gets 28mpg - right on par with most smaller V6 cars - and while it will never rise to over 15k a month - not without an I4 - it is not a dead segment.

Igor

It's the same here Igor house prices could drop as much as 45% in the next 2 years in the UK, FTSE heading for the floor we are now getting all the same things as you have got, we are just a little bit behind you Igor folk won't be splashing out on new cars, holidays when the price of everything is going sky high whilst pay rise remains low folk are cutting back.

This is a prototype, not a mule. I have compared the MKS to the Taurus more closely and it does look like they are sharing a Windshield, side windows, and rear window. They are also using the MKS's rear brake lamp and roof panel. However, the Taurus does have a different 3-rd quarter window since the belt line is more linear. I wonder if the Taurus will have the (not-so Vista) roof from the MKS as well. So indeed, the MKS and Taurus appear to share some glass and one bit of sheetmetal. They have done something interesting to help change the side profile of the Taurus to make it look a little blockier than the sleek MKS. The door frame and C pillar are thicker and taller, creating raised drip rail and squaring off the roof, you can particularly see that in the rear-view. The MKS has something similar but it's not quite as dramatic. Essentially, they are dramatically changing the profile of the vehicle but still re-using many components.

I think I'm going to really like this car :)

Edited by BORG

Nice way to look at it. Much like (from what I understand) the current Civic exists because of the Acura CSX.

I don't understand that comparison to the MKS to the Taurus being in that same situation. The Civic is a global car, the CSX is a rebadged JDM Civic with a 2.0 I-4 much like the TSX here is the Honda Accord in European. Personally I hope this Taurus looks like a stretched Mondeo. It's funny because the Mondeo and the D3s have similar wheelbase lenghts as in within an inch of each other although the Mondeo has shorter overhangs.