Camaro Officially Revealed

ANTAUS

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the article on the Camaro in Septembers issue of Automobile mag. They report that all V-8 models will require premium fuel. In NJ, that is still fairly past $4 a gallon.

I stick by my prediction of 60,000 units or less the first year.

Actually, the official spec sheet says "premium recommended".

Rut roh! It seems news of the premature death of the Z28 WEREN'T exaggerated!

Automobile Magazine's Q&A with Cheryl Pilcher, Camaro product manager

Will there be a Z28 model?

CP: "There will be no Z28 model. Through the four generations of Camaro, there have been cases where Chevrolet chose to make the Z28 the top dog or the SS the top dog. As you're aware, Chevrolet is encouraging the SS strategy with cars such as the HHR SS and Cobalt SS. Consistent with this strategy, we have a Camaro SS."

Sorry Eddie! :poke:

It seems Cheryl isn't aware that 1st, 2nd, and 4th generations had both SS and Z/28 models at the same time. In fact, only the 1st gen had an SS with no Z (1967, early '68). She also seems unaware that, when both models were available, the SS was definitely above the Z.

Sorry Eddie! :poke:

It seems Cheryl isn't aware that 1st, 2nd, and 4th generations had both SS and Z/28 models at the same time. In fact, only the 1st gen had an SS with no Z (1967, early '68). She also seems unaware that, when both models were available, the SS was definitely above the Z.

the first gen had a z28 (67-69). the z28's were produced to meet the production requirements of scca. there were roughly 600 z28's produced in 1967.

Edited by kpc655

the first gen had a z28 (67-69). the z28's were produced to meet the production requirements of scca. there were roughly 600 z28's produced in 1967.

I got the dates wrong, but the 1st gen SS was available from day 1 (still on 14" rims), while the Z/28 option didn't show up till later. As I recall, the (may be wrong here, too) the intial Z/28s were of the type: order the stripped small-block and have the dealer check the secret Z28 checkbox - it wasn't an official, badged model until '68.

Note for some perspective: My very first plastic model kit was of a then-new '67 Camaro SS. Monogram, I believe. Blue plastic. 'Rubber' tires. 1/32 scale. (Second model was a Ford J).

Maybe they'll save the Z/28 name for a small block (302???) wonder.

And they can enter it in Koni Challenge GS, and we can have the 'real' Trans-Am series back! (stock bodies, production-based engines, tires not made from unobtanium)

:D

I don't care about any of them, including the Challenger. I had my fill of pony cars in the '80s and '90s.

Now, the new CTS....that's a GM I'd buy! :shades:

add the G8 to that list

speaking of the G8 i believe they kind of screwed it over with the engines, would it have been that hard to just put the LS3 in the GT and start it at 31k?

regardless i rather have a G8 than a Camaro

add the G8 to that list

speaking of the G8 i believe they kind of screwed it over with the engines, would it have been that hard to just put the LS3 in the GT and start it at 31k?

Meh...the G8 is nice but it's way down my list. Nice engine and platform but the Pontiac grill styling is showing its age IMO. However, I do agree about it being preferable to a Camaro.

add the G8 to that list

Haven't you heard? They're saving the LS3 for the GXP... and the manual.

Haven't you heard? They're saving the LS3 for the GXP... and the manual.

yeah and they will be marking up the price like a bitch.

they could have just put the LS3 into the G8 GT, not only the GXP

should have given the GXP the LSA

look at it this way, a GXP is going to be slower than a base V8 Camaro

they also said the LS3 for the GXP would only be 400 hp, compared to the manual Camaro getting 422 hp

EDIT: if you are referring to them saying they were going to put a manual in the GT, well i believe they shot that down

IIRC manual is only for GXP

Edited by Ford-150

Why compare the Camaro and G8? They don't compete with each other. One is a 4-door sedan and the other is a pony car.

The engine in the G8 GT is perfectly fine. 362hp in a full size sedan for around $30k is a deal. The Camaro needs a more powerful base V8 because it's in a more competitive segment with the Mustang and Challenger.

Edited by eddiehaskell

Why compare the Camaro and G8? They don't compete with each other. One is a 4-door sedan and the other is a pony car.

The engine in the G8 GT is perfectly fine. 362hp in a full size sedan for around $30k is a deal. The Camaro needs a more powerful base V8 because it's in a more competitive segment with the Mustang and Challenger.

i never said they were competing with each other and why would i think they were

but thanks anyway

the 09s are 31k

yeah and they will be marking up the price like a bitch.

For a while... they had G8 GTs marked up when they first came out... not so much now.

they could have just put the LS3 into the G8 GT, not only the GXP

should have given the GXP the LSA

Now you know that with the CTS-V in the plans, they weren't gonna allow a Pontiac to cannibalize it. Same reason the G8 doesn't get a wagon variant Stateside.

look at it this way, a GXP is going to be slower than a base V8 Camaro

As well it should, since as it was stated earlier, the Camaro is positioned as a sports car, not a sports sedan. It's also lighter than the G8.

Plus, since the V8 is only in the top level Camaro (the SS), it's a bit oxymoronic to say "base V8," as if there were a higher one.

they also said the LS3 for the GXP would only be 400 hp, compared to the manual Camaro getting 422 hp

Again, see above.

EDIT: if you are referring to them saying they were going to put a manual in the GT, well i believe they shot that down

IIRC manual is only for GXP

This I knew. Maybe they'll work it out in a later year.

I got the dates wrong, but the 1st gen SS was available from day 1 (still on 14" rims), while the Z/28 option didn't show up till later. As I recall, the (may be wrong here, too) the intial Z/28s were of the type: order the stripped small-block and have the dealer check the secret Z28 checkbox - it wasn't an official, badged model until '68.

Note for some perspective: My very first plastic model kit was of a then-new '67 Camaro SS. Monogram, I believe. Blue plastic. 'Rubber' tires. 1/32 scale. (Second model was a Ford J).

nope it was factory from day 1. The option code is RPO Z28 (RPO=Regular Production Order). the special ones were COPO (central office production order). the first year was super low numbers, thats why most people don't think they made them. SCCA required 600 production models per year (i think it was 600) and GM made 602 (or so) of the Z28's. Ford and Chrysler also had their SCCA models...chrysler had the AAR's and Ford had the Boss 302. CI requirements required less than 305 cubic inches..hence all the cars small, high revving engines.

Aw man, legendary "secret" check boxes.

Wouldnt it be cool if they still had that today? in 69 you could order a cheap camaro with COPO ZL1 and get an all aluminum 427 dropped in it. imagine a new mustang or camaro with the biggest mill detroit could offer...environmentalists be damned!

Edited by kpc655

And they can enter it in Koni Challenge GS, and we can have the 'real' Trans-Am series back! (stock bodies, production-based engines, tires not made from unobtanium)

:D

I'd love that! I hate race cars that have interchangeable bodies. You can hardly tell a NASCAR Pontiac from a Ford (other than the decals).

REAL cars, real bodies, real engines!

Wouldnt it be cool if they still had that today? in 69 you could order a cheap camaro with COPO ZL1 and get an all aluminum 427 dropped in it. imagine a new mustang or camaro with the biggest mill detroit could offer...environmentalists be damned!

Well, the Z/28 wasn't a secret, even for '67.

There are still things you aren't supposed to be able to do that can be done, though.

The sales brochure didn't list black as an available interior color for my Deep Forest Green Clearcoat Metallic Mustang GTS (you were stuck with tan or gray), but the dealer selected it for me and the computer accepted it, and that's how the car showed up.

You're not supposed to be able to order a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor for private use, but that can be done, too.

But no, you don't seem to be able to get hi-po engines in base models anymore. That's why I've never been crazy about the idea of SVT.

But no, you don't seem to be able to get hi-po engines in base models anymore. That's why I've never been crazy about the idea of SVT.

Well then you're missing the point behind SVT. It was never intended to be a POWERTRAIN division. It was a performance division, and performance is more than horsepower. It's about handling, braking, accelerating, steering feel -- all working in harmony to deliver a superior driving experience.

If you want a stripper model with a huge engine, buy a stripper model and a crate engine and do it yourself. Most other people are demanding more complete packages from automakers these days.

In something that rocks

tw_11_07_23e_HR.jpg

Yes, but in something obtainable for the masses.........like the original BOSS 302, Z/28, and AAR Cuda. Even the Cougar was quite successful in 1967...too bad they didn't make a specific small block (-305) model.

Yes, but in something obtainable for the masses.........like the original BOSS 302, Z/28, and AAR Cuda. Even the Cougar was quite successful in 1967...too bad they didn't make a specific small block (-305) model.

Yep something for the masses Tim, Ford are incapable of making a coupe for Europe these days we have not seen a Ford sports car for years in Europe now they have lost the magic of the past, they think super boring would sell here we had the Probe, Puma and Cougar all were huge sales disasters for Ford the Capri was the last big hit for FOE that sold in big numbers.