Ford Cancels Third Shift at Oakville

Global National just reported this and it has been confirmed by the CAW. According to the report, Ford has built 13000 vehicles and sold only 500. I'm guessing that is a mistake and it is actually 5000. 500 Jobs that were supposed to be created have been canceled.

Link in next post.

Edited by suv_guy_19

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Ford sold over 1400 last month it is very likely that it is a misprint. But even 5000 sounds light since that would mean just under 3600 have been sold in the first 21 days of July. My local dealer hasn't sold any off the lot. But it would be very difficult to believe it is selling as slowly as the link implies. The Edge and MKX have both been slowing down in recent months. I suspect that has more to do with the cancelling of the third shift. I thought three shifts was a little optimistic with both the Edge and MKX getting a little stale from being on the market as long as they have combined with the shift in the market. Maybe oil will continue downward and start to ease the prices at the pump and allow all three of these vehicles to take off. We shall see.

Since Ford sold over 1400 last month it is very likely that it is a misprint. But even 5000 sounds light since that would mean just under 3600 have been sold in the first 21 days of July. My local dealer hasn't sold any off the lot. But it would be very difficult to believe it is selling as slowly as the link implies. The Edge and MKX have both been slowing down in recent months. I suspect that has more to do with the cancelling of the third shift. I thought three shifts was a little optimistic with both the Edge and MKX getting a little stale from being on the market as long as they have combined with the shift in the market. Maybe oil will continue downward and start to ease the prices at the pump and allow all three of these vehicles to take off. We shall see.

It's a NICHE vehicle people..

Too bad that right now Ford Dealers around here have no Focus or Escape to sell until today with new Escape arriving, and lot full of Flexes and Edges that consumer is not buying right now. With economy so bad right now, consumers willing to buy new vehicle seem to want something for modest price and good fuel mileage and that is it. I have never seen Ford Dealers around here so slow in July. Hardly anyone is buying this month. So far, this has been one super bad month for sales. Ford has 8 days left to push some product. Maybe fleet sales will save them this month. Hopefully it will down on Big Oil just how bad things are and price will fall like rock. Demand for oil has to be freefalling big time with this economy.

Yet another D3 flop. Time will tell for sure.

I'm sure they'll find a way to spend some more on yet another D3 experiment.

If the prices for the Flex I am hearing about are true, an Expedition (or two) are the far better deal for the $$$.

Edited by Armada Master

Nope, the only "temps" we have are summer students and they should be gone by next week.

Nothing is selling -- the Edge hasn't been selling for the past few months, they had 0% on them for 2 months, I see a lot with bar codes on the back window, and now you can get one with up to $4000 in rebates.

Honda cut 2009 Pilot Production today as well, so this isn't just a Ford thing -- people are in a panic over everything. Oil has fallen almost $20 in the past week, and if it stays low you may see some rational decisions come back to the car buying world, the family of 5 trading in a Suburban they have -$10000 in and getting a Civic so they can save money on gas comes to mind.

Nothing is selling -- the Edge hasn't been selling for the past few months, they had 0% on them for 2 months, I see a lot with bar codes on the back window, and now you can get one with up to $4000 in rebates.

Honda cut 2009 Pilot Production today as well, so this isn't just a Ford thing -- people are in a panic over everything. Oil has fallen almost $20 in the past week, and if it stays low you may see some rational decisions come back to the car buying world, the family of 5 trading in a Suburban they have -$10000 in and getting a Civic so they can save money on gas comes to mind.

That family of 5 could save more money by putting their kids up for adoption. Kids are a lot more expensive than gas :P

I had an opportunity to spend some time with the Flex last week. Ford is a major sponsor for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Their displaywas set up across from the car show I run at the event.

There were 4 Flexes at the display along with Focus Escape, Edge, Explorer Eddie Bauer, Expedition, F-150 and Super Duty. They also had beautifully restored '49 F-3 and '51 F-1 trucks displayed.

The marketing staff were non-Ford people out of Chicago who ran games and gave out prizes. The needed a little work on their trivia scripts since they had the production years wrong on the Model T. There were several guys in the crowd who corrected the errors.

The Flexes were SEL and Limited models pretty loaded with options. The all Black Limited had the Nav system, Vista Roof, power liftgate, rear camera, power pedals, power seats including flip and fold in the middle row. They also had a Cinnamon and White Limited. Both stickered at $40k+. My impression was that the Flex felt bigger than my '02 Explorer. Certainly a bit wider. The seats were very comfortable and the leather looked much better than my Explorer. The Flexes were very popular with quite a few people sitting in them and trying out the features. Based on the conversations I had with some of the people many were looking to trade out of full sized SUVs and minivans. It was definitely a love it or hate it deal. Most of the comments were very positive. If you are coming from a Yukon or Expy the price point isn't a shock. Even a Honda, Toyota or Chrysler minivan can tip the $40k limit when comparably equipped.

Hopefully the Flex will catch on once more of them are on the street.

I drove the Flex. Talked money.

Drove the Escape. Talked money.

Went to Mercury. Drove the Mariner. Talked money.

Went to Mazda. Drove the Tribute. Talked money. Bought the Mazda.

The difference in what you are getting isn't worth the extra money to buy the Ford Flex. I percieve no status or functional improvement over the Escape/Mariner/Tribute either.

The Tribute ($17K) was several thousand less than the same Escape($21K), equipped the same too! :stats:

I drove the Flex. Talked money.

Drove the Escape. Talked money.

Went to Mercury. Drove the Mariner. Talked money.

Went to Mazda. Drove the Tribute. Talked money. Bought the Mazda.

The difference in what you are getting isn't worth the extra money to buy the Ford Flex. I percieve no status or functional improvement over the Escape/Mariner/Tribute either.

The Tribute ($17K) was several thousand less than the same Escape($21K), equipped the same too! :stats:

The Flex isn't really comparable to the Escape/Mariner/Tribute. I am surprised that the Tribute was less expensive than a comparably optioned Escape. I would have thought the Mazda was more money. Was it the deal or the sticker price that made the difference?