Ford's Accelerated Product Plan

I don't see why not. The head units will more than likely have to be changed anyway. Keep in mind, it's not like Ford is shipping Euro Fords here next week exactly as they are sold in Europe. There will be some changes, albeit not too major, to "Americanize" them.

more cup holders :hysterical:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect they confused the S & C Max. The S-Max offers no real economy gains over the Edge. In fact it's rather underpowered for the segment.

The S-Max seats seven, so it offer something the Edge does not plus it is sufficiently different to the Flex to have a market.

Production of the Expedition and Navigator at Michigan Truck Plant (MTP) has been suspended until late August 2008. The new plan states that MTP will begin retooling in December 2008 for the Focus. Production of Expeditions/Navigators will move to the Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) in early 2009.

Has Ford decided to extend the shutdown at MTP and end production of Expys and Navs for the remainder of the year?

Highly unlikely.

I would expect a brisk production rate from Sep through beginning of Dec to stock pile enough Navigator and Expeditions to last the 6-9 month period until production can resume at KTP.

The S-Max seats seven, so it offer something the Edge does not plus it is sufficiently different to the Flex to have a market.

So the S-max is 100 lbs. lighter than the Edge and carries 2 more people. Once you apply newer technology, the S-max should be alot more efficient than the Edge.

So the S-max is 100 lbs. lighter than the Edge and carries 2 more people. Once you apply newer technology, the S-max should be alot more efficient than the Edge.

Take a look at the specs on the S-Max. It does not seat two more 'people' as such. It seats two more kids. 3rd row legroom in the S-Max is atrocious. It is, essentially, a truncated Galaxy.

In other words: You could add two more seats to the Edge and they'd be functionally equivalent. The Edge has room for two occasional use seats of the sort seen in the S-Max.

But it would still be ugly as sin.

I would not say it is ugly. It is sharp from some angles. The problem is that it looks too much like a mini van. Just add a Dodge Ram sized grill, shaped like the Verve grill to the front and it will look very agressive.

I wonder if the Kuga and CX-7 be somewhat the same vehicle, or merge into a rebadge of one another...

I never understood why Focus production moved to the U.S., should have stayed in Mexico for a higher profit margin.

The Hakaze and Kazamai concepts are the inspiration for a possible CX-5 which will share its underpining with the Kuga. The CX-7 is almost a foot longer than the Kuga and it's somewhat on a different platform. Front half is C1 and rear half is a CD3 based on the outgoing 2003-2008 Mazda 6 Wagon.

I didn't like the Kuga at first, but now I'm interested after seeing more of it. The design is still a overwrought, but I've had my fill of the bland Escape at this point, especially with the presence of the much more attractive Saturn Vue assimilating my neighborhood. The Kuga would go a long way to bring some excitement to Ford SUVs. We also have the next Equinox on the way so I'm hoping Ford is moving along on a next gen variant. The Escape is a prolific seller, but they look about as exciting as washing machines, particularly now that White is such a popular color ;)....although I have to admit that my LG washer/dryers are RED :).

Edited by BORG

In all seriousness, is the Fiesta going to make that big of a deal with the bottom line with Ford? I dont think so, Most B-cars don't even sell in the same numbers as a Mustang does! Then add in the lack of profitibitly they have..the only thing that the car will do is improve Ford's image (if they dont fuck it up) and help a little bit with marketshare. While it is important to a point, I dont think it will fix Fords problems it has now if we could buy one now.

I disagree completely.

If Fiesta is not a success in sales volume and profitability you can kiss Ford Motor Company goodbye. It will also prove to Wall Street that Ford can make money on small NA cars, (even if my geography book says Mexico is in Central America). This is the new image of Ford, the small car company, going head to head with Honda and Toyota.

The heart of the market now is going to a Focus sized car IMO in North America...a B car is far too small for most Americans outside of a commuter car

It's a different world out there. People want and need a small commuter car.

I'm not saying the success of the Focus is any less important. Just that the success of Fiesta is just as important.

So your saying if gas goes back down to say 2-2.50 a gallon that they wont go back to bigger cars?

The problem with the market is People are scared more then anything else...in reaction to rapid rise in gas prices and the economy coming down around their ears...

As for small commuter cars...they are great for one person, but you sure as hell can't fit the wife and kids into them

I disagree completely.

If Fiesta is not a success in sales volume and profitability you can kiss Ford Motor Company goodbye. It will also prove to Wall Street that Ford can make money on small NA cars, (even if my geography book says Mexico is in Central America). This is the new image of Ford, the small car company, going head to head with Honda and Toyota.

I'm not saying the success of the Focus is any less important. Just that the success of Fiesta is just as important.

Then Ford will go the way of Studebaker because even if it was a success there simply isn't that much profit to be made with that car in this country.

No, being small, fuel efficent and cheap isn't enough, anyone can do that. It has to be sporty and different, not necessairly good looking just different. But above all it has to be a car that people will pay a premium price for...a car like the Mini. That car sells for about twice what I think it's worth and the local dealer only has a couple of used ones because they sold out of their new inventory! The thing certainly hasn't had an impressive quality record and the ride is harsh but they get full retail for every one no discounts no rebates.

Such an expensive (profitable) and unique small car would be a good fit for Mercury...if it was done right and Ford doesn't sell a copy of the same car at half the price.

So your saying if gas goes back down to say 2-2.50 a gallon that they wont go back to bigger cars?

The problem with the market is People are scared more then anything else...in reaction to rapid rise in gas prices and the economy coming down around their ears...

As for small commuter cars...they are great for one person, but you sure as hell can't fit the wife and kids into them

I think consumers are scared as well but it looks like some of their taste will have to change if gas drops back down. There just won't be as much of a selection like before. However those like me in the minivan market have had to deal with this to a certain degree as minivans are still out there, but a lot less to choose from when compared to 5-10 years ago due to lack of cool factor...urrr...sales.

I don't know about other areas, but in the Detroit area there are a ton of people with 1-2 kids and they own a minivan and SUV. So we might just have the parent who has to only go to work drive the Focus while the one who has to drop-off/pick up the kids takes the family truckster. That means that Ford better make some cool small cars that people don't mind driving all week long to work!

I you believe that is possibly I have a bridge for sale !

True, but what else should they do, buy another Expedition. Sure they are cheap and look cool, sitting in your driveway !

But that is exactly the point of a commuter car ! mass transit in most of the US (and especially in SE MI) is poor to non-existent. People are reluctant to car pool. The only other alternative is small commuter cars.

I bet the Fiesta would be fine for a young couple with 2 kids under 12 even on a 3-5 hour trip !

Then Ford will go the way of Studebaker because even if it was a success there simply isn't that much profit to be made with that car in this country.

I didn't say that the Fiesta alone had to save the company, but it certainly needs to lead the charge. It is the first of a pack of new cars coming (most not until 2011MY). The Fiesta needs to catalyze consumer and Wall Street confidence.

No, being small, fuel efficient and cheap isn't enough, anyone can do that. It has to be sporty and different, not necessarily good looking just different. But above all it has to be a car that people will pay a premium price for...a car like the Mini.

I agree with everything you just said.

That car (Mini) sells for about twice what I think it's worth and the local dealer only has a couple of used ones because they sold out of their new inventory! The thing certainly hasn't had an impressive quality record and the ride is harsh but they get full retail for every one no discounts no rebates.

Quality is a fuzzy thing. Class leading quality, over long periods of time, will build a loyal customer base (Honda is a good example). If your the bottom of the barrel it can be a death sentence (although not necessarily; the 6.0L diesel F Super Duty was worst in class and worst Ford overall for many months, but folks kept buying them.) Mini's middle of the pack quality must be good enough.

A bit off this topic, but Ford has an opportunity to build a dedicated niche customer base with Transit Connect. It is quirky like the Mini and the Element, but with the right paint schemes/trim some might call it "cute". Fuel economy and quality are unknows, but its lack of "modern" Powertrains (only a gas I4 with a 4 speed auto and no AWD) will hold it back.

But that is exactly the point of a commuter car ! mass transit in most of the US (and especially in SE MI) is poor to non-existent. People are reluctant to car pool. The only other alternative is small commuter cars.

I bet the Fiesta would be fine for a young couple with 2 kids under 12 even on a 3-5 hour trip !

Agreed. I can't believe Mustang fans of all people, are against cars that "are great for one person, but you sure as hell can't fit the wife and kids into them". And yes, don't even try to pretend everyone buys a Mustang "just for the weekends" and always travels alone.

Agreed. I can't believe Mustang fans of all people, are against cars that "are great for one person, but you sure as hell can't fit the wife and kids into them". And yes, don't even try to pretend everyone buys a Mustang "just for the weekends" and always travels alone.

You and T-Stag have got be the two most gormless plebs on BON, l work with quite a few family guys like myself who use Mustang type sports cars for work all week and take their family out in their stationwagons at weekends.

You are the sort of twat that thinks a stealth fighter is not a very good aircraft because it does not carry as many passengers as a Airbus A380.

F117%20OutandPlay.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I didn't say that the Fiesta alone had to save the company, but it certainly needs to lead the charge. It is the first of a pack of new cars coming (most not until 2011MY). The Fiesta needs to catalyze consumer and Wall Street confidence.

I agree with everything you just said.

Quality is a fuzzy thing. Class leading quality, over long periods of time, will build a loyal customer base (Honda is a good example). If your the bottom of the barrel it can be a death sentence (although not necessarily; the 6.0L diesel F Super Duty was worst in class and worst Ford overall for many months, but folks kept buying them.) Mini's middle of the pack quality must be good enough.

A bit off this topic, but Ford has an opportunity to build a dedicated niche customer base with Transit Connect. It is quirky like the Mini and the Element, but with the right paint schemes/trim some might call it "cute". Fuel economy and quality are unknows, but its lack of "modern" Powertrains (only a gas I4 with a 4 speed auto and no AWD) will hold it back.

Quality isn`t really just or even mainly reliability. Quality is fit and finish and the Mini definetely deserves its alledgely high price. It has quality materials and is well put together. That is the reason why Ford of Europe products in part cost more than NA. The quality of plastics and the fit is just better in Europe than America because consumers there care about those things more. Just the way it is.