2009 FOCUS SEDAN BROADENS APPEAL WITH NEW HIGH-END SERIES AND AVAILABLE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL

range

I wish they'd start shipping the damn things.

If you want to know why Ford is in the situation they are in, do a dealer search under the zip code 48182 and look at some of them. Brondes Ford has ONE Focus sitting on the lot (don't believe the online inventory, the only one left is the grey coupe.)

I wish they'd start shipping the damn things.

Huh? All week long thousands of new Focus have left Wayne Assembly lots and are heading to Ford Dealers around country. Little Blackwell Ford near me already has at least 10 sitting on lot and Bill Brown even more. I noticed both got new shipments in today. I think they are being allocated somewhat right now since '09 Focus production is only three weeks old and probably just getting up to full ramp up speed. Wayne Stamping worked last Saturday making extra bodies so Wayne Assembly could keep ramped up. Production has been increased up to about 280,000/year and will go way over 300,000 once MTP is retooled early next year. I would bet Bill Brown Ford will have hundreds of new Focus on lot by end of September. However, with oil prices falling like rock, look for truck and bigger vehicle sales to increase a little.

Brondes Ford is less than an hour away. One 2008 left on the lot, and the salespeople have no idea when they are getting their 2009's.

No wonder Ford sales are in the tank.

Well they're getting delivered out here near Chicago. I've been keeping in close touch with my salesman regarding my order (still not in yet, but any day now) and he's been getting truckloads every day.

Just wish my SEL would come in already. :shrug:

Isn't ESP (AdvanceTrac) made standard by federal regs soon anyways? I'm mean serioulsy, for all the safety talk Ford is really full of crap having introduced it on the '01 foci and then dropping in ~04 and now its back as a high end thing. Whatever Ford is to yesterday... lol j/k

Isn't ESP (AdvanceTrac) made standard by federal regs soon anyways? I'm mean serioulsy, for all the safety talk Ford is really full of crap having introduced it on the '01 foci and then dropping in ~04 and now its back as a high end thing. Whatever Ford is to yesterday... lol j/k

It's not back as high end, but available on all Foci series (i.e., not tied to a high series). True it was available on the original Focus, but only ordered on less than 3% of all the models IIRC.

The phase-in schedule for ESC is:

55% from Sep 2008 to Aug 2009

75% from Sep 2009 to Aug 2010

95% from Sep 2010 to Aug 2011

100% from Sep 2011 onwards

In September 2006, well before the final rulemaking for ESC was announced by NHTSA, Ford announced that all Ford models would have standard ESC by the end of 2009 (calendar year). Ford was the first manufacturer to make this early commitment. In addition, Ford is the only manufacturer to offer roll stability control (RSC) on SUV's which adds a roll axis to the yaw control of ESC.

VW did beat Ford to the punch a bit by putting ESC standard on all of their 2009 models, but as far as I know, no other full line manufacturer has made the commitment Ford has.

I'm sorry, what was your point again?

It's not back as high end, but available on all Foci series (i.e., not tied to a high series). True it was available on the original Focus, but only ordered on less than 3% of all the models IIRC.

In September 2006, well before the final rulemaking for ESC was announced by NHTSA, Ford announced that all Ford models would have standard ESC by the end of 2009 (calendar year). Ford was the first manufacturer to make this early commitment. In addition, Ford is the only manufacturer to offer roll stability control (RSC) on SUV's which adds a roll axis to the yaw control of ESC.

ROFL :lol:

VW did beat Ford to the punch a bit by putting ESC standard on all of their 2009 models, but as far as I know, no other full line manufacturer has made the commitment Ford has.

Oh please, before being an arrogant snob why don't you do your homework...

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/buyingGuides/St...=&year=2006

GM has a similar system to RSC and surely the Japanese are not far away.

Any who the martini is getting warm...

Per that article it would appear that the writer was pointing out that the Volvo/Ford system is more advanced than the others. Besides it's not like the Focus didn't have AdvanceTrac years ago.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Yes, it would seem so.

But...Ford did commit to all models having ESC by the end of next year, so it makes me think they might be planning on developing it for Panther also.

Easy to imagine a jump start using the Falcon's data and set up with fine tuning for the actual models.

Magical things start to happen when "unrelated platforms" begin to share stuff.

Who knows maybe at first it's powertrains & transmissions, then it's electrical systems and suspensions.

by my thinking, the three groups Falcon, Mustang and panther don't need to share anymore than this.

That way they save heaps of cash and get the job done in their respective markets.

Edited by jpd80

These systems do not incorporate a roll gyro, they are merely a different electronic calibration of the existing yaw sensors with the manufacturers using fancy marketing lingo that makes you think they have more than they do. I find it very interesting that when the vehicle is totally out of control that GM calibrates to lock all four wheels to put the vehicle into a slide.

I stand by my comments that Ford's RSC system developed initially by Volvo (with the assistance of Ford's Research Lab) is, to the best of my knowledge, an industry exclusive. It's been on the road since 2003 on the Volvo XC90. Maybe the Germans and/or the Japanese will have it if they can find a way to get around the patents or if they want to license it from Ford. But it seems to me that a 5-year run of an industry exclusive ain't bad.

But...it's very difficult as a consumer to understand or judge the effectiveness, and you don't get much marketing bang for the buck. The government's rollover rating is simply a static "boxcar" measurement -- cg, and placement of the wheels -- combined with an outrigger test to see if the wheels tipped up during a J maneuver. You might not find the benefits of Ford's system or even a well calibrated standard system in this type of test. But the vast majority of rollovers are trip faults, many of which might not be avoidable with electric intervention in any case.

"2009 FOCUS SEDAN BROADENS APPEAL WITH NEW HIGH-END SERIES AND AVAILABLE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL"

I guess no one at Ford has bothered to take a picture of the sedan, or PR is unaware of the difference between a sedan and a coupe.

They were going to take the picture, but the car got sold before they could get their camera.

Maybe things are different with VW in Canada. Maybe I'm confused. It can happen. :)

This is a review of the 2K9 Jetta wagon, in the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper (boldface my emphasis):

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTG...lGlobeAuto/home

"
VW Canada charges an extra $450 for anti-skid control
and $450 for rear-seat side airbags. An engine block heater is an extra $230, too. This holds true for even the priciest Jetta wagon. Plenty of research suggests that side airbags and
stability control
are excellent safety features, and they should be standard in any car at this price.

Air conditioning, a good stereo with eight speakers, and cruise control are all standard, as are power windows, door locks and mirrors. A tilt and telescoping steering wheel is also standard and so is a cargo cover — all on even the least-expensive Jetta wagon. But not the really basic safety features and an engine block heater. We're in Canada, right?

Despite that craziness, VW should sell a bunch of these wagons.

The most obvious competition is the Volvo V50, which starts at $32,995. Others in the mix include Hyundai's hatchbacks such as the Toyota Matrix ($17,200 base), Pontiac Vibe ($15,995), the Mazda3 and Mazda5 ($21,095 base and $20,795 respectively) and Subaru's all-wheel-drive Impreza hatchback ($21,595).

All very capable cars, but not a diesel in sight."

2009 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2.5L COMFORTLINE Type: Compact station wagon

Base Price: $23,475; as tested, $28,875 CDN

Yes, it would seem so.

But...Ford did commit to all models having ESC by the end of next year, so it makes me think they might be planning on developing it for Panther also.

Or they could have been referring to retail-only models. Good chance that even the Grand Marquis and Town Car will go fleet-only next year.

Or they could have been referring to retail-only models. Good chance that even the Grand Marquis and Town Car will go fleet-only next year.

Nick, you could be right. I think the cops would turn off ESC anyway. It would be a shame to have to devote engineering resources to Panther this late in the game. Also, this commitment was made 2 years ago and there are a lot less folks to do the work now.

And.. Ford needs to get rid of the retail end of these dinosaurs. They poison the showroom.